Samba Issues

I'd like to start a separate thread on Samba issues (that is, anything having to do with how shares operate EXCEPT for security).

To start things off, I moved this question from another thread:

Hrm, this export feature could actually be pretty cool since all of my DVD rips are in folders labeled DVD on each drive. Then I'd just have to point to one share instead of to multiple ones or to the convoluted one I've made using Symlinks. I think I'll like this! This still isn't allowing us to see our drives as a single volume though so until and if that ever occurs we're still likely to have wasted space spread out in chunks across the various drives. <shrug>

Any performance tweaks in this upcoming release? Will we be on the latest or a later kernel? Any chance we'll be able to stop the array from taking over Master Browser duties? I've suspected that this has been occuring and recently spotted it being mentioned in my Syslog. I have anXP machine specifically setup to be Master so this is annoying - especially when one day I suddenly discover I cannot reach some machines by name and must reboot the array to straighten things out - doh!

P.S. Speaking or Recycle bins - any chance of implementing one? My Linkstation has this and while it's a pain to have to remember to empty it out occasionally to reclaim disk space it has saved my bacon at least once when, you guess it, someone deleted an entire directory structure without realizing it. The ability to have such a thing and to perhaps turn it on\off might be a nice feature to consider and I believe the Linkstation code is also GPL'd.

Regarding browse master - yes this is very easy to change.  I'll try and sneak that in to the next release.  I can see how you might want this configurable to handle cases where the Server is up 24/7, it will almost always be the browse master.

Regarding recycle bins - yes this is a feature of Samba which we've tried and seems to work ok.  It's on the to-do list.

A word about "all drives as a single volume".  Yes, our intention is to get to this goal, but there are some constraints that come into play.  For example, as you probably know, many video programs are actually split into several large files.  When you copy such a program to the array, ideally you don't want the files of this program split between two disks. Suppose you start viewing a program and as a result, the disk containing the first file spins up and then off you go.  If at some point you need to start reading another disk you will see a multi-second pause in the video while the disk spins up - not good.  So, for one thing, the "single volume" code needs a heuristic which it can use to prevent this from happening.

The current user share scheme (that is in the next release) is not too bad.  In practice almost all shares can be contained on a single disk - it's only directories containing massive media data which presents some challenges.

Good news all! :)

The Recycle Bin bit would probably make some folks happy. It can be seen as a hidden .directory for emptying purposes. It need only save you once to make you thankful it's there let me tell you!

Master Browser off as an option would be cool. Any way to add Fsck a an option after some of the issues I've hit recently? :o

I hadn't thought about the spanning of files across volumes where a drive might be sleeping. Yup, that's a big problem. Honestly one of the reasons why I like unRAID is that it doesn't "span" data across drives. If something chokes you don't lose spanned files. Not sure how best to fix this, honestly I can live with it as is and the ability to combine shares as you've already mentioned sounds good to me.

One thing odd I see that I think is a Samba issue is some files not being deletable. these are often album Art files that start with { and show up as System Files in windows. File names that start with periods can also act funky - think I've seen that. Not sure that these things can be solved as I think they are generic Samba issues and not specific to unRAID. Wish I could be more specific about these oddities but I've just been sort of livig with them. <shrug> Anyone else seeing these things?

yeah, I have problems at times with Classical music files that have accented characters in the filenames...

:o

YES! I have this issue too! I think it's a Linux thing though so there may be no help for it. The worst are those files I cannot delete although in hindsight it's possibel this was my filesystem corruption issue. I'll have to watch for those and report back if I find them again :-\

Can you give me some examples of what doesn't work right?  For example, this file:

AlbumArt_{69A17CE8-CC88-4AE0-9048-20989BAF4FD7}_Small.jpg

gives no particular problem - able to copy, delete, etc. just fine.

I will try but it may take me a bit to find them - it's not a consistant error. I do notice that for some reason the "system file" flag seems to get set on files like that one for no particular reason. I'm not sure if it's the software I use (MP3TAG), Windows, of the Array that does this. Once stuck it sure seems to be hard to remove!

I will try but it may take me a bit to find them - it's not a consistant error. I do notice that for some reason the "system file" flag seems to get set on files like that one for no particular reason. I'm not sure if it's the software I use (MP3TAG), Windows, of the Array that does this. Once stuck it sure seems to be hard to remove!

The first one or two releases had a bug in handling of certain attributes.  I think this is corrected in the 2.060706 release.