Move News

limetech

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To each his own, everyone has their level of patience. Each person has the right to express when their patience has run out, especially when they have paid money for a product. I am personal REALLY tired of checking in month after month and seeing no advancement and nothing being communicated toward that advancement. My attitude nor anyone else is not in question, Tom's is though. Or should everyone sit by sliently wait for something to happen when Tom see's fit.

Im not bitching, im pissed and requesting were are we with unRAID 5 movement. My patience has run out, i purchased a dual license back on 4/2011 so 1 year of patience, offering hardware, logs to Tom, etc.. and nothing. So I HAVE the right to cross post and bitch as many time as I wish to get an answer of where unRAID 5 is.

...So I HAVE the right to cross post and bitch as many time as I wish to get an answer of where unRAID 5 is.

As you said, to each his own. I'm not sure you're talking about a right as much as you are a sense of entitlement. But that's only semantics. Suffice it to say, we'll get what we get when we get it. I think if any of us can agree on something, that would be it.

I must say I came across with a little more attitude than I intended. Frustrations are high and I check this thread every time I have a notification to see if there has been advancement, and 9 times out of 10, here lately 10 times out of 10, its a post about the lack of advancement. We all know there isn't anything being said right now, PM Tom, e-mail him, just don't put it in here. Its devolved from discussions to moaning.

Its possible he's trying to track down a fix for some of these bugs everyone is posting about, and as of yet isn't having any luck. I for one wouldn't post every week saying "no progress" as its pretty much just as bad if not worse than not saying anything.

Weebotech, I'll get back on topic now, I promise!

I for one wouldn't post every week saying "no progress" as its pretty much just as bad if not worse than not saying anything.

I my opinion not really, although I can see your point.  I don't post much (if I had trouble or on rare occasion if I know something and can help (novice here).  I do see better response from other "one man developers", but I kind of knew this when I bought it.  I read the forums before I purchased the software and noticed others talking about the lack of professionalism in regards to status updates and slow upgrades.  The software does mostly what I want;  4.7 / sabnzbd, sickbeard, and couchpotato is running fine for me.

I would like to move forward to the next version to gain support for plex.  Little nervous about beta when I don't have a test system and not sure if I can go back to 4.7 after upgrade. 

If enough bad press comes out about the developer it will start to hurt.  Websites like total htpc will stop suggesting it.. 

I might start looking at other solutions, but unraid just works.

David

To each his own, everyone has their level of patience. Each person has the right to express when their patience has run out, especially when they have paid money for a product. I am personal REALLY tired of checking in month after month and seeing no advancement and nothing being communicated toward that advancement. My attitude nor anyone else is not in question, Tom's is though. Or should everyone sit by sliently wait for something to happen when Tom see's fit.

Im not bitching, im pissed and requesting were are we with unRAID 5 movement. My patience has run out, i purchased a dual license back on 4/2011 so 1 year of patience, offering hardware, logs to Tom, etc.. and nothing. So I HAVE the right to cross post and bitch as many time as I wish to get an answer of where unRAID 5 is.

David

Thank you David, this is precisely why I have been getting so irritated lately with the ridiculous nature of some of the posts I've seen flying around the forums... because, already, unRaid just works. It does EXACTLY what it was advertised to do, anything in the version 5 series is just icing on the cake. You have no right to demand that software. We have all bought the current version of the software (which in most cases was version 4 and some of us previous versions) and anything beyond that is just a bonus. Tom has not advertised on the main site at all for support for 3TB drives, newer controllers or any other new features of that nature that are highlighted in version 5. You have received exactly what you paid for and you should be happy with what you have gotten because unRaid just works. I'm very happy that some of the mods are taking the initiative to clean up the crap posts that have been blasted out here. Those posts should be sent directly to Tom rather than publicly slopped all over the place...

Thank you David, this is precisely why I have been getting so irritated lately with the ridiculous nature of some of the posts I've seen flying around the forums... because, already, unRaid just works. It does EXACTLY what it was advertised to do, anything in the version 5 series is just icing on the cake. You have no right to demand that software. We have all bought the current version of the software (which in most cases was version 4 and some of us previous versions) and anything beyond that is just a bonus. Tom has not advertised on the main site at all for support for 3TB drives, newer controllers or any other new features of that nature that are highlighted in version 5. You have received exactly what you paid for and you should be happy with what you have gotten because unRaid just works. I'm very happy that some of the mods are taking the initiative to clean up the crap posts that have been blasted out here. Those posts should be sent directly to Tom rather than publicly slopped all over the place...

I don't know about you, but I purchased Unraid because of the promise of future support and development.  If I had known that version 5 would have fallen into developmental hell I probably would have rethought the purchase.  I'm very happy with Unraid right now, but I'm upset that version 5 has been over 1 year in the making and I'm even more upset that NO UPDATES, at all, regarding the situation has been posted.  Just keep us updated.  It is the very least you can do.  That's all.

David

I purchased UnRAID on the basis of UnRaid 5. I wouldn't have bought it otherwise as I REQUIRE TM support.

Simple updates, even if it is simply stating what bugs or features he is working on is delaying development, is fine.

No details at ALL isn't acceptable.

He said he wanted 5 RC done by the end of Feb. We are now approaching the end of March with absolutely no word on what is going on, you think that is acceptable!?

I purchased UnRAID on the basis of UnRaid 5. I wouldn't have bought it otherwise as I REQUIRE TM support.

Purchasing something before it has been released seems... premature. How can you know what you're getting before it is released? (rhetorical)

Simple updates, even if it is simply stating what bugs or features he is working on is delaying development, is fine.

No details at ALL isn't acceptable.

He said he wanted 5 RC done by the end of Feb. We are now approaching the end of March with absolutely no word on what is going on, you think that is acceptable!?

I think it's pretty clear he has been involved in a massive physical relocation of his production environment. Taking into account that this specific thread was intended to announce and update on the progress of that relocation, it seems reasonable to me that development has slowed to some degree.

I'm surprised that these "where is version 5!?" posts are still persisting. It seems a lot like screaming in space to me. It is clear to many of us that the communication is sporadic at best, and that the updates will happen on their own. If you've been around long enough you can see that is the method to the madness that is unRAID. It is just something that you accept or don't, but either way, it is simply the way things are.

I don't think we should be telling people what they should expect from support and updates of a product they paid for since their interpretation of the agreement is just as valid as ours (obvious caveat if someone makes a fundamental mistake).

Also telling someone they were silly/wrong/premature to buy unRAID as only the beta contains the features they want/need is risky as well.

There is a balancing act to be had in this thread. So i will try and summarize.

Good

====

Showing your interest in V5 and the future of unRAID in a constructive way. This may be for or against as long as it is constructive.

Bad

===

Making multiple posts saying the same thing... essentially moaning that there are no updates

Telling people their opinions on commercial support or a timely release schedule are mislead/wrong.

Grow up dude.  Unraid 5 is out now, I have been running it for about 8 months with no problems.  I wish Tom would just say it will be released when ready and not give any dates.  Good things take time.

Grow up dude.  Unraid 5 is out now, I have been running it for about 8 months with no problems.  I wish Tom would just say it will be released when ready and not give any dates.  Good things take time.

Case in point. This helps no one. I understand where you are coming from and perhaps even agree to an extent but it is not our place to tell someone who paid for a product to grow up our that their opinion is wrong. It is no more right or wrong than yours or mine.

Lets get this thread on point again shall we with constructive, non personal facts only please.

I am also disappointed in the present situation. Most of all I am disappointed in the lack of occasional update (only takes 2 mins to do, and I think lots of people would understand the delay)

At the end of the day this is a one man band and despite wishing it was different we cannot expect unraid to keep going as at any moment he could decide he's bored of it.

What does confuse me is the statement:

Company - We are changing to a C-Corp and moving to San Diego, CA area sometime in February.  As soon as we have secured space out there I will post another announcement regarding this.  Probably the main thing anyone would care about is that once in CA, we have to start charging CA sales tax...

This gives the impression that it is his company (Lime Tech?) who is moving to San Diego. If so I would really expect him to act more like a business than a hobbyist selling his product. What is the point in building a business when at the same time alienating half the customers by your silence?

From a personal perspective I am eager to get version 5, but at the same time I am (was?) excited for the future of Unraid and what it could become. I was very interested about the move to San Diego and keen to see updates as to how it is all going etc... I prefer to give my money to small organisations like Lime Tech than to Microsoft by buying Home Server, it just feels better. It feels good to be part of the community, or at least it did until recently.

I sense a lot of the posts in here are coming from a sense of disappointment, mainly from the sudden lack of communication. I think we have all missed deadlines (self set or otherwise), but a simple post saying "sorry guy's, I didn't make Feb, in fact I am busier than I thought and it is likely to be later in the year" would be much better than just not saying anything.

I am not angry like some people seem to be, but at the same time I love software like this and I don't feel at present I can recommend it (for those needing v5 features).

Its not the community staff members right to lock a commercial announcement thread.

This is both self evident in the way the community operates and the fact we don't have the forum privileges to do so anyway.

I should also point out that just as many posts are bitching about people bitching as anything else.

Until Limetech LLC move is complete and it comes back to police and comment we just have to as a community try and find a common amicable ground.

I think Limetech knows the point we are all trying to make. It's obvious he's trying to grow his business, and it's also obvious he's sensitive about the attacks towards him.

It's now up to him to decide the best way forward on how to deal with the pile of crap that is his PR management. Everything you need to say is set in black and white in this thread, so he'll figure it out. If nothing changes, then either deal with it by removing your support for unRAID, or live through it and use a great product. No point in flogging a dead horse.