Move News

limetech

I think Limetech knows the point we are all trying to make. It's obvious he's trying to grow his business, and it's also obvious he's sensitive about the attacks towards him.

It's now up to him to decide the best way forward on how to deal with the pile of crap that is his PR management. Everything you need to say is set in black and white in this thread, so he'll figure it out. If nothing changes, then either deal with it by removing your support for unRAID, or live through it and use a great product. No point in flogging a dead horse.

+1

Although removing support for a lifetime license is hard,  :P

I think the reason why some people prefer to work with computers vs people is they are better with computers. If this is the case with Tom/Limetech, then maybe he needs to employ someone to deal specifically with the PR aspect. Although I will say the updates do mean more coming from the person and not PR

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys all need to calm down.  I should have just named 5.0-beta4 or -beta5, or one of those, "5.0-final".  Code's been solid for a long time, aside from h/w incompatibilities largely beyond my control.  Hopefully latest 3.2.13 linux kernel addresses some of these problems.

Having said that, version 5.0-beta15 includes these updates:

kernel to 3.2.13

samba to 3.6.3

netatalk to 2.2.2

There will also be some minor features identified as necessary and/or handy by the moderators, being added.  As long as no existing h/w is broken by this kernel, this release will become -rc1, followed by 'final'.  What h/w works, works; if not, will have to wait for 5.1.

Move to Carlsbad, CA has been completed, with last of the shop moved about 10 days ago.  Most test servers are up.  We are waiting on some more benches and racks to get stuff organized.  When it looks "pretty" I'll post some pictures.

We are working with a large Taiwan-based OEM to produce a semi-custom 10/14 drive rack mount product specifically targeted to the A/V market initially.  The goal of this product is low cost, low-power, low-noise, small footprint.

If you have specific company questions or gripes, please email me directly: [email protected].

As for perception of my lack of involvement, rest assured I do nothing but work my ass off, sorry if that's not reflected in constant forum updates.

Good to hear Tom,  :) .

And by the way(to not have to send you an e-mail about it), the segfault problems went away when I disabled the cache_dirs. I think something got botched on install and it was running two instances which emhttp did not like at all. Have it enabled now, made sure only one was running, and aside from a few network drops, all is solid.

Couldn't be happier!

Thanks for the update Tom. Just a quick question for Tom or anyone that is interested in answering it.

There was some talk in a thread a few weeks ago about interest in an Australian company putting together unRaid servers, I cannot for life of me find the thread. :(

Tom. when you post up 5b15, could you please list the hardware incompatibilities that you are aware of.  This bit of information will save a lot of questions in the new beta thread and help reduce the FUD factor that many people seem to have in using beta software. 

FUD = Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt  (This technique was first used by IBM salesmen when IBM's customers were first beginning to attach non IBM equipment to their mainframes.)

Tom:

Thanks for the update, I was holding back on the migration because I was in the perception there might still be (to much) instability issues. I have no problem in finding out my hardware might be an issue, I'll just revert back if so. I have now started migration to v5.

Besides that: I am a relatively new user and have to say I am very pleased with the product, it has a very high "it just works" factor, you might have used an "apple" for a logo ;-)

Support in the forums is also great, I have allready learned a lot !

Tom thanks for the update, I know many of us are eager for 5.0 for many different reasons. 

I want to drop my .02 on the whole move affecting support and such.  I had a single drive failure about 2 months ago which ended up leading to a bug causing 2 drives to go bad.  I got help from this forum, Thank you so much Joe L., and was directed to deal with Lime-Tech Support.  Honestly, I must say that the help I received was absolutely unacceptable.  If I hadn't spent $120 on a license I would be a lot more understanding. 

It took 2 months of trying to make contact with Tom/Lime-tech support, before my problem was finally resolved.  In the end I should have just used my limited know how and attempted to fix it myself, as that was the level of support I received.  I ended up losing 4TB of data, which I'm still having a buddy of mine examine if that data was recoverable, or if the poor support I received turned a fixable bug into a major loss of data.  There is no continuity, just an e-mail chain.  If you're not at the top of the inbox, good luck ever hearing back.  If I ever have another failure, if it can't be fixed by the AWESOME community on the forums, I'll just scrap it, instead of risking the loss of more of my data.

Thanks for the update Tom. Just a quick question for Tom or anyone that is interested in answering it.

There was some talk in a thread a few weeks ago about interest in an Australian company putting together unRaid servers, I cannot for life of me find the thread. :(

Found it for you http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=17804.msg160232#msg160232

That's the one, I also has it PM'ed to me. :) Thanks.

Tom thanks for the update, I know many of us are eager for 5.0 for many different reasons. 

I want to drop my .02 on the whole move affecting support and such.  I had a single drive failure about 2 months ago which ended up leading to a bug causing 2 drives to go bad.  I got help from this forum, Thank you so much Joe L., and was directed to deal with Lime-Tech Support.  Honestly, I must say that the help I received was absolutely unacceptable.  If I hadn't spent $120 on a license I would be a lot more understanding. 

It took 2 months of trying to make contact with Tom/Lime-tech support, before my problem was finally resolved.  In the end I should have just used my limited know how and attempted to fix it myself, as that was the level of support I received.  I ended up losing 4TB of data, which I'm still having a buddy of mine examine if that data was recoverable, or if the poor support I received turned a fixable bug into a major loss of data.  There is no continuity, just an e-mail chain.  If you're not at the top of the inbox, good luck ever hearing back.  If I ever have another failure, if it can't be fixed by the AWESOME community on the forums, I'll just scrap it, instead of risking the loss of more of my data.

I'm sorry things didn't work as they should. I'm confident that limetech is working towards a future solution that would resolve these kinds of issues, however, I can't really speak for Tom or Limetech,.

What I can add for you is information which may aide in capturing some of your data if the drive still is accessible.

My last crash turned me onto a tool called dd_rescue that allowed me to save the failed drive onto another drive, then I was able to use resiserfsck to repair the filesystem. I suggest that you do a search on the board for ddrescue or dd_rescue and read those threads. I also suggest you post your potential recovery situation in another thread so others may comment on that subject matter.

You guys all need to calm down.  I should have just named 5.0-beta4 or -beta5, or one of those, "5.0-final".  Code's been solid for a long time, aside from h/w incompatibilities largely beyond my control.  Hopefully latest 3.2.13 linux kernel addresses some of these problems.

Having said that, version 5.0-beta15 includes these updates:

kernel to 3.2.13

samba to 3.6.3

netatalk to 2.2.2

There will also be some minor features identified as necessary and/or handy by the moderators, being added.  As long as no existing h/w is broken by this kernel, this release will become -rc1, followed by 'final'.  What h/w works, works; if not, will have to wait for 5.1.

Move to Carlsbad, CA has been completed, with last of the shop moved about 10 days ago.  Most test servers are up.  We are waiting on some more benches and racks to get stuff organized.  When it looks "pretty" I'll post some pictures.

We are working with a large Taiwan-based OEM to produce a semi-custom 10/14 drive rack mount product specifically targeted to the A/V market initially.  The goal of this product is low cost, low-power, low-noise, small footprint.

If you have specific company questions or gripes, please email me directly: [email protected].

As for perception of my lack of involvement, rest assured I do nothing but work my ass off, sorry if that's not reflected in constant forum updates.

Hi there.  unRAID (but not Linux) newbie.

I was using ReadyNAS, but I just out grew it.  Moved to unRAID, and am running the latest Beta (to support current hardware).

I used to NFS mount everything, but have now had to revert to CIFS because of all the stale NFS mount issues I'm getting from the box on multiple operating system (clients).

I only post this here (to echo what others have posted in the beta forum) because you mention the code has been solid for a while.

I'm here to offer any information I can to you in case you need to replicate the error.  I'm happy to offer whatever you need.

I just didn't want you to think that there weren't any errors other than some known HW issues.

Thanks for a decent product, can't wait to fully utilize it, please let me know how I can help.

Cheers!

--THOR!

What I can add for you is information which may aide in capturing some of your data if the drive still is accessible.

My last crash turned me onto a tool called dd_rescue that allowed me to save the failed drive onto another drive, then I was able to use resiserfsck to repair the filesystem. I suggest that you do a search on the board for ddrescue or dd_rescue and read those threads. I also suggest you post your potential recovery situation in another thread so others may comment on that subject matter.

Unfortunately, the drive that I lost my data from can't spin up.  I  was going to rebuild it when a perfectly working drive showed up as unformatted and then I was unable to rebuild that broken drive.  Instead of just telling unraid, "Hey this drive is actually perfectly fine" the instructions I received ruined parity and began to destroy the data on my unformatted but working drive.  This was when I threw in the towel and just decided I could try and live with losing a drive worth of data.

Tom:

Thanks for the update, I was holding back on the migration because I was in the perception there might still be (to much) instability issues. I have no problem in finding out my hardware might be an issue, I'll just revert back if so. I have now started migration to v5.

Besides that: I am a relatively new user and have to say I am very pleased with the product, it has a very high "it just works" factor, you might have used an "apple" for a logo ;-)

Support in the forums is also great, I have allready learned a lot !

I agree with this, espescially the just works factor. I use 5.0b12a for some time now and I'm pretty pleased so far. Also with great service and help of Tom. I also am happy with the help and support I get on this forum.