Move News

limetech

snip.............

I really liked unRaid for it's relative support for white-boxes and it's openness for configuration and such but lack of support and latest industry features is a heavy price to pay for just that. It takes hours of screwing around for DAYS to get it to do anything other than just hold files. Other products have just about everything that you could get out of unRaid (Like built in video streaming, music streaming, picture viewing, webmin, nagios, smart stats, iTunes server, etc.) right of their box and without screwing around with it for hours. No Linux command line experience required.

...........snip

Um, far be it for me, a humble 50 odd year old carpenter, to pretend to have any sort of technical input, but the official Unraid manual, is very clear on what UnRaid does. It hardly seems appropriate to complain that it takes you days to try and get it to do something else. It seems a bit like wanting an all terrain vehicle, but then buying a family saloon car and complaining that it takes days to turn it into a fully fledged off roader.

;D I agree.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It takes hours of screwing around for DAYS to get it to do anything other than just hold files. Other products have just about everything that you could get out of unRaid (Like built in video streaming, music streaming, picture viewing, webmin, nagios, smart stats, iTunes server, etc.) right of their box and without screwing around with it for hours. No Linux command line experience required.

Admit it. Please. LimeTech needs this feedback. Customers aren't happy and if others saw what a Synology could do out of the box I'd bet even more wouldn't be happy.

OK lets not start exaggerating here. I'm not a developer and I'm definitely not linux savvy and I can SAFELY SAY that it did not take me hours of screwing around to do anything other than just holding files. Maybe our brains work differently but I can definitely say that what you have described has NEVER been my experience. Every addon I've installed has been up and running with MINIMAL effort. Hell getting unRaid up and running for me (4-5 years ago?) took less than 15 minutes to build the spare computer out of parts... and then about 5 minutes to boot it up and configure it with the 3 drives I had installed. Lets not start throwing absurdities out there... you just look foolish in the end.

+1

I have been running beta 11 for months (almost a year) and I haven’t had any problems, rock solid.  I also have some add-ons installed and this is on my only server.  I took my time upgrading to a BETA because it's a BETA.  As far as I am concerned, it never has to get released.  I bought a pro license for the 4 series, 5 is a bonus.  I'm a Linux newbie and if I have questions I ask on here.  I don't think I have ever asked Tom anything, no point when there are some many nice and knowledgeable people here that can help me, hell I even paid to have something done that I couldn't figure out. 

Whoever posted about Qnap, ummm yeah, good luck with that.

I still don't know why this thread is alive, should have been locked or deleted a long time ago.  I also don't know why Tom gave a release date, never give a date unless the product is done and fully working.  Simply say it will be released when it's released.

The real issue with no ETA is that there hasn't been a release or even a consistent status update from LimeTech SINCE NOVEMBER (4 months)! To me (a developer), a BETA that hasn't gotten touched at all in 4 months is dead... Vaporware. If it was a stable release, you could easily go a year with no update, fine, but it's not stable it's BETA... That's the kind of attention I'd expect some random open source project to get, not a product I paid for. I'm now looking at more competitive products like Synology or qnap.

I really liked unRaid for it's relative support for white-boxes and it's openness for configuration and such but lack of support and latest industry features is a heavy price to pay for just that. It takes hours of screwing around for DAYS to get it to do anything other than just hold files. Other products have just about everything that you could get out of unRaid (Like built in video streaming, music streaming, picture viewing, webmin, nagios, smart stats, iTunes server, etc.) right of their box and without screwing around with it for hours. No Linux command line experience required.

Admit it. Please. LimeTech needs this feedback. Customers aren't happy and if others saw what a Synology could do out of the box I'd bet even more wouldn't be happy.

There is a stable release... 4.x.  That works fine for many people, all the added plugin features etc of 5.x is moot because there isn't even a RC, only beta.  I did not see a single 5.x feature being advertised on limetech site.  Only 4.x features that are pretty stable.

I am a customer and have used numerous server implementations (raid NAS, windows server, Drobo (what a piece of junk)), unraid has been the most absolutely rock solid system I have ever used.  I AM a happy customer! A very happy one, I would rather have a rock solid file server then a wonky limited one with a stupid itunes server app.

Yup you can get all those addon features by getting something else...  Except if you need to upgrade, go buy another 400-500 $ box + harddrives, or replace ALL your hardrives.  Also good luck recovering data when your RAID array goes in flames (It has happened to me and it took HOURS to get MOST of my data back).  Oh then start ranting and raving on their site when some bug effects your needs and they stop firmware updates because the new model is out.  ok easy fix, spend another $500 to get the new model.

Think of it this way, unraid can be more flexible but it takes a bit of time, unraid costs time instead of money.  Go spend $1000s of dollars on another 20 drive redundant disk system if your time and needs are so advanced.

i've had two incidents involving my data:

1 - my motherboard went up in smoke (almost quite literally ;) ... i switched motherboard and power supply (the culprit), ran parity and ... ALL of my data was there, as if NOTHING had happened.

2 - one of my hard drives died .. simply took it out, put a replacement in, ran parity and ... ALL of my data was there, as if NOTHING had happened.

i'm not really sure that any other server solution would have been able to withstand these events, or at least as smoothly as unraid handled them.

i'm on 4.7, server is rock solid, whenever 5.0 comes out i will switch, but i currently can live without it.

Think of it this way, unraid can be more flexible but it takes a bit of time, unraid costs time instead of money.  Go spend $1000s of dollars on another 20 drive redundant disk system if your time and needs are so advanced.

Yes I suppose you summed it up very nicely. You all might be missing my point though. I'm really not trying to flame or start an argument here. Now that the unRAID core product is functionally stable I wish Limetech would polish it up a bit. That's really all I'm asking for. For example, Add Speeding Ant's theme into Baseline (because it's awesome). The roadmap at http://download.lime-technology.com/develop/infusions/aw_todo/project.php?id=1&view=roadmap hasn't been updated since Beta4 (a year ago).

I just saw someone posted speeding_ant's SimpleFeatures iTunes Server on the 16th. Convenient. So that's awesome. We can check that one off. http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UnRAID_Plugins

I'm not saying unRaid doesn't do it's job. In fact, it does what it was designed to do very well. Unfortunately, unlike some of you, I have had MANY problems with unRAID. Most of them revolving around Networking issues as well as intermittent boot issues (Boots into single user mode with no networking, this one is complicated) which often takes days to fix. This happens when something gets added or a new release comes out and I attempt to upgrade. This is where most of that time I was talking about goes and it was no exaggeration. Time Machine (before b14) was also sketchy.

Look, I understand it's Beta software, but I had all these problems on 4.7 too, and especially the networking ones. I also understand that is part of having this hardware independent which is huge plus. But all these issues were not what I was getting at at all. I was getting at the built-in video streaming (in a web browser) which is next to impossible and just "polish" overall . Plex is out there but it doesn't stream to a browser (AFIAK).

A lot of what's out there as packages for unRAID were written by someone else who open-sourced it which is also fine. But if just about everyone adds it on, couldn't limetech package that up in put it into Baseline? I know he works his ass off and he does have a great product. Maybe he needs more help. I'm just sayin'

Allot of this conversation doesn't really belong here and the debate of hardware problems vs software vs release vs plugin addons and expectations vs other platforms should be placed in topic appropriate threads.

Nothings been released because it isn't ready.

There are kernel compatibility issues with certain hardware setups.

Oh and "Vaporware" Jeeze,  :o

I'm embarrassed at the way this thread is heading.

I pretty much have stayed out of this thread for a while and roll my eyes a few times.  C'mon, where is this really heading?

At some point it becomes a train wreck.

There are allot of valid concerns and some are just fuel to the temperature.

I stayed back and kept out of it, however it's deviating quite a bit.

I don't want to necessarily stop appropriate conversation, but let's keep it real, in concise topics that can be followed, subscribed or even ignored if chosen.

Hardware problems are just that, hardware problems.

Alternative system comparisons, Add ons/ Plugins, how to do Linux stuff... Let.s put that where it can be followed, answered and referred to.

At some point it becomes a train wreck.

There are allot of valid concerns and some are just fuel to the temperature.

I stayed back and kept out of it, however it's deviating quite a bit.

I don't want to necessarily stop appropriate conversation, but let's keep it real, in concise topics that can be followed, subscribed or even ignored if chosen.

Hardware problems are just that, hardware problems.

Alternative system comparisons, Add ons/ Plugins, how to do Linux stuff... Let.s put that where it can be followed, answered and referred to.

+1

To risk going off topic(haha, get it), again this is the perfect example of how the community tracker would come in handy! You could take posts that include valuable information and move it right on over to the knowledge base.

You'd think I'm a salesman for the community tracker with how I talk it up, but I'm serious, it makes worlds of differences for community driven support like the unRAID forums

Yes, I want to see pictures.  May be I can go pay a visit and meet the maker(s) of Unraid  ;D

Going back to the issue at hand.... Version 5.0 super duper.

I am new to unraid.  I've got about 5 months of experience.  I did a lot of research of what I could use to store my media and stream it throughout the house.  I almost pulled the trigger and bought a 5 bay synology NAS (almos $1000 bucks at the time) without any hard drives.

Lucky, I stumbled at this Forum, and I started reading and getting a little knowledgeable about unraid.  All I can say is that I am happy I built my own server, and it works.  I had a few issues, and I almost....almost said F*** this, but the forum members helped me out, and I was able to fix my issues.  Granted, I took over a week to finished it up, but it is back to 100% working.

So, I know that people are upset about the final upgrade, but come one how much did you pay to use UnRaid?  I saved a lot of $$$ by using UnRaid.  So, give Tom a break, he is moving to a new place, and setting up.  It takes time.

I would rather have a final 5.0 super duper version that works 100% because it was done right.  Than having a 5.0 version that almost does everything right because certain things were not done right.

They have an acronym at my job DTRTRTFTATT---do the right thing right the first time all the time!  The company I work for is a 10 billion dollar company.  It is a family own company, and that's the motto the owner promotes.

Now, support could be a little bit better  ;D

WeeboTech.

Good points.  Keep this thread for details of the Move.

Tom,

Settled in yet?  How about new house, almost ready to stop countless trips to hardware store as you get settled, hang pictures, shelves, etc?

Is your new shop ready for serious head-down development?  How about new physical servers you were hinting about available at new site?

Joe L.

Yeah, as a US Navy officer who has moved his family 17 times in 18 years, I understand how long and what it takes to get settled and start being productive again....although a move from Colorado to California would just be baby steps for me  ;D.

Hope all is going well.  My Beta 5.0 server is humming right along.  I have some hardware issues, but they're mine...not Limetech's.  My 4.7 server is running perfectly - couldn't ask for better performance.  Just can't wait to see what's around the next corner.  Maybe I'll buy one of those fancy new servers from Limetech to save me the time and effort of building my own!