Move News

limetech

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

any chance to get 5.0 final build with DVB - TV card support ? for tvheadend

or maybe you can separetly create build like normal + DVB support

This is last thing wich is missed in unraid :( (and i think not only for me)

Will be great if we find it in final 5.0

I think most people reckon that would be a REALLY bad idea.  Unraid should be a fully optimized storage server.

Either:

-Get a super-cheap seperate box (even one of those pogo-plugs would work for a tv recording server) and mount unraid with NFS

or, if you MUST have only one physical box

-run VMWare ESX

Well, 'REALLY bad idea' is too strong to say here, I would say.

Including those modules wouldn't harm so much.

On the other hand there are more important priorities to focus on.

I think most people reckon that would be a REALLY bad idea.  Unraid should be a fully optimized storage server.

Either:

-Get a super-cheap seperate box (even one of those pogo-plugs would work for a tv recording server) and mount unraid with NFS

-run VMWare ESX

naaa. It's a really REALLY bad idea.  ;D

Seriously though, Having the vendor work on this dilutes the core nature of unRAID.

A person could learn how to compile unRAID.

In addition there are many talented people here who can make a custom distro if someone wants it that bad.

Either:

-run VMWare ESX

My thoughts:  (and I haven't looked into the unraid kernel config much)

-if the unraid kernel is compiled staticly (without module support enabled) then I don't want it in the kernel potentially pushing it out of cache pages

-if the unraid kernel is compiled with modules enabled, then it's trivially easy to load a slackware VM with the same kernel revision, build the modules in question, then copy them to the USB stick and load them from the go script

Either way it's apparent he has limited hours to work on unraid and thus should not spread features thin.

If limetech was a 30 person team, then sure, have a specialized version for everything you can think of!

Either:

-run VMWare ESX

-if the unraid kernel is compiled staticly (without module support enabled) then I don't want it in the kernel potentially pushing it out of cache pages

-if the unraid kernel is compiled with modules enabled, then it's trivially easy to load a slackware VM with the same kernel revision, build the modules in question, then copy them to the USB stick and load them from the go script

Either way it's apparent he has limited hours to work on unraid and thus should not spread features thin.

If limetech was a 30 person team, then sure, have a specialized version for everything you can think of!

unRAID uses modules.  It is not statically compiled, although there are some modules compiled into the kernel for various file systems.  In fact, the "md" driver itself is a loadable module.

You are correct, just need to set up a dev environment with the same Slackware release, use the .config as supplied by lime-technology as a starting point, and build whatever module you like.

Joe L.

Either:

-run VMWare ESX

unRAID uses modules.  It is not statically compiled, although there are some modules compiled into the kernel for various file systems.  In fact, the "md" driver itself is a loadable module.

You are correct, just need to set up a dev environment with the same Slackware release, use the .config as supplied by lime-technology as a starting point, and build whatever module you like.

Joe L.

Hmmm. I know how to do this and shared it with the community as well:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Installing_Tvheadend_in_unRAID

I was just saying it would be good to have those modules by default and that I cannot understand statements like "REALLY bad" idea for something which potentially doesn't harm. Don't see why it was a problem for you and why you can only imagine the support for these things in "specialized versions".

Anyway, I am not gonna pushing on this and as being said I also don't think this is a high priority at the moment. It's definitely not.

I was just saying it would be good to have those modules by default and that I cannot understand statements like "REALLY bad" idea for something which potentially doesn't harm. Don't see why it was a problem for you and why you can only imagine the support for these things in "specialized versions".

How long has it taken to get 5.0 released?  Oh that's right - it's not even released yet after years of development.  So the idea of adding a feature that only 0.5% would want, makes it a not so good idea.

My goal is to complete 5.0 by end of February. 

So have you completed?

Its 1st of March today  :o

If it was done there would be a new thread. For those that are impatient there is a Windows 8 Consumer Preview available that has some similar features to unraid http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/01/05/virtualizing-storage-for-scale-resiliency-and-efficiency.aspx.

Download Link  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/download

^^^

No guarantees that bugs such as those will be fixed with 5.0 final just gotta do what you can with what you got.

To those spitefully complaining about the missed target date... please go elsewhere because you don't deserve the software in my opinion. Brats.

^^^

No guarantees that bugs such as those will be fixed with 5.0 final just gotta do what you can with what you got.

To those spitefully complaining about the missed target date... please go elsewhere because you don't deserve the software in my opinion. Brats.

Well I did actually tell them to either contact limetech directly or communicate about it here.

At least it's contained outside of the beta thread which is supposed to be about that particular version of software.

He missed the target date but he also promised weekly updates. We got neither. Takes a couple minutes to post why he missed the update. That's probably why people are more fustrated than normal.

Missing the update? Acceptable.

Promising weekly status updates and getting none after first 2 weeks while also missing the update? Not so much if you want people to trust your word.

The only thing that stinks is that some of us are stuck on previous betas (I'm on beta 12a because I have (3) LSI cards).  Honestly, I probably wouldn't update until the final's been out for a while and fully tested against LSI.  Beta 12a is so stable and working, I really don't want to mess with it.

It's the manner in which people have been acting that has been rubbing me the wrong way. When I said go elsewhere I didn't mean another section of the forum I literally meant elsewhere in general  >:(. I just find it baffling, the sense of entitlement that some of the users feel they have. They (hopefully) paid for the product, any new version past the stable version that they purchased is just icing on the cake. Does Microsoft or Apple provide them with completely new feature sets regularly through out the years free of charge? Nope, they charge you for every release of one of their operating systems (excluding SP's and some more major updates). The demands that are going on are absolutely absurd.. they have no right to demand anything of Tom other than a license when they pay for it along with the files required for installation. Anything beyond that is a bonus and a gift.

Yes Tom did say he'd try to make updates, but things happen, situations change. Patience is very important for small products such as this because there are no guarantees.

I'm done with this... *gets off his high horse* :-X

I hope the move is still proceeding well and look forward to the future.

It's the manner in which people have been acting that has been rubbing me the wrong way. When I said go elsewhere I didn't mean another section of the forum I literally meant elsewhere in general  >:(. I just find it baffling, the sense of entitlement that some of the users feel they have. They (hopefully) paid for the product, any new version past the stable version that they purchased is just icing on the cake. Does Microsoft or Apple provide them with completely new feature sets regularly through out the years free of charge? Nope, they charge you for every release of one of their operating systems (excluding SP's and some more major updates). The demands that are going on are absolutely absurd.. they have no right to demand anything of Tom other than a license when they pay for it along with the files required for installation. Anything beyond that is a bonus and a gift.

Yes Tom did say he'd try to make updates, but things happen, situations change. Patience is very important for small products such as this because there are no guarantees.

I'm done with this... *gets off his high horse* :-X

I hope the move is still proceeding well and look forward to the future.

Your making assumptions here. I'd be more than willing to pay for an updated version of this software. And incase you ask, yes Apple and Microsoft do keep their users informed about upcoming updates free or otherwise. I'm sick of high and mighty jack ass** like you acting like people have no right to ask a simple question!! Its exactly why people like me are afraid to even participate on forums like this.

Your comparisons aren't exactly valid. Microsoft is completely closed sourced. OSX is based off of freebsd but you can't exactly install freebsd and then magically get OSX running on it like you can with Slackware and Unraid.

Unraid is fairly pricey for what it is. Most of it is based off of things Tom did not create himself. There would not be an issue if these promises were not made in the first place. I don't think asking for any update at all at this point is an unreasonable request.

I would be perfectly happy sticking to 4.7 IF the 4.7.1 update to address that critical bug discovered months ago was ever released. Another promise that fell through the cracks...

^^^

If these bugs are not fixed by the 5.0 final I would lose all faith in Tom honestly considering these types of configurations are listed as officially supported by unraid.

Beta 14 works great for certain configurations. Those of us with two AOC-SASLP-MV8 controllers are stuck on beta 11 currently due to the BLK_EH_NOT_HANDLED bug in later betas.

I have an AOC-SASLP-MV8 and have not had this issue with Beta 12a or Beta 14 (yet... used 12a for a few weeks, now on b14 for about 12hrs so far).

As for the rest; I'm in the boat of - Tom has let us all down - I even bought 2 more Pro licenses (that I Do Not need) to help support him as I love the product.  It can't be that hard to provide a 1-2 sentence weekly update to show that he at least cares, or that some life altering emergency has come up.  With people easily able to post from cell phones these days, I don't that is too much to ask (free, paid, or any other form of software with a large following).

Tom hasn't made a single post in more than 2 weeks... totally unacceptable in a professional environment.

From what I saw configurations with 1 of the controllers are fine, it's only people with 2 of them that experience the bug.

I have 3 and and it works fine on 12a which I ran for months and now 14 which I have been running for several weeks.  Maybe it only works for an odd number of controllers :)