SuperMicro H8DME-2 Dual 6 Core Opteron?

Tragik

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey does that mean you've got both installed and working?  If so congrats!

No, not yet, I'm waiting for my other HSF to come in.  Once I do that I'll post pictures. Right now I'm doing a hardware check and making sure everything is working accordingly.  I've built a few volumes and pulled/added hard drives from the server without a problem. OS sees what I'm doing and everything is hunky dory.

thank god this site is back up!!!

can i ask a bit of advice?  i just flashed my mobo using both BD and Tragik's advice in the thread... but i'm not sure if it worked.. it seemed to but here's what i now see in hte BIOS under the 'main' heading

AMIBIOS

Version 08.00.14

Build date 10/22/09

ID:  H8DM8000

and at the very bottom of the screen is says v02.58

does it sound like the flash went right?  i need to know before installing the 6 core cpu!

thanks, please help!!!

EDIT:  ok i'm a bit brutal for asking for help and then proceeding anyway... i know i'm going to regret it one day!  in any case seem to have got it working, can see opteron 6 core processor in the bios/boot up screen!!!  many kudos to all the gang on this thread for their help, you are AWESOME!!!

I know the new bios is 3.5a. Bizzare why you are showing 2.5. I shall have to check on my bios to see.

Waiting on my 2nd hsf and slapping it in this puppy. Has anyone else experienced sata problems with he 6cpu and onboard sata?  I had a hard drive die in the front 24 bays as it was giving me a mvsch3 error which corresponds to drivers and a controller/port problem. Ripped out hard drive and was fine.

I know the new bios is 3.5a. Bizzare why you are showing 2.5. I shall have to check on my bios to see.

Waiting on my 2nd hsf and slapping it in this puppy. Has anyone else experienced sata problems with he 6cpu and onboard sata?  I had a hard drive die in the front 24 bays as it was giving me a mvsch3 error which corresponds to drivers and a controller/port problem. Ripped out hard drive and was fine.

I used the onboard prior to the new cpu to do some esxi testing, but not since I swapped the cpu and had no issues. If it were in one of the bays though unless you moved a cable they would all go to the sata cards in the PCI-X slots. Could be a loose sata cable or even a possible issue with the back plane.

installed 2nd cpu. No go on the post. I get network lights, but no VGA connection.  I did notice a few odd pins on the 2nd cpu's socket. Is everyone's 2nd socket in useable form? Could just be me and it is so early in the AM.

Update 1: No 2nd CPU for me. 

1. I was noticing increased amount of voltage errors:  Voltage MCP55 Vcore Below lower non-recoverable threshold 0 (+/- 0.008) Volts .  This is bothering me as I saw this several times in the iKVM.

2. When I went into the 2nd socket I saw why this CPU was not working: bent pins in the socket. Seems whomever had this before cracked open the cpu cover and bent a small square of pins in the socket.  I don't know if I should be upset or indifferent.  I have a 6 CPU file server with 8GB of RAM. This will last me eons. I might go searching for another motherboard for this puppy.

Sorry to hear that bd. I will check mine and also try the second CPU when my hsf arrives. I noticed there is a socket cover on mine as well as cooler mounting brackets on the board for both cpus

You can mount a 3rd party HSF without issue, my Norsomething fan worked without a problem.

Pop off the socket cover and exam to see if you have bent pins. If not, you are lucky. If you do, cross your fingers and pray.

I'll check my socket when i get home. 

On that note is anyone interested in the motherboard, cpu, heat sink, memory out of this unit?

I bought for the case and power supply and was planning on using mobo/cpu for another server but now I'm thinking of getting rid of it because of some surplus server that became available at work.

Considering how this thread has taken off, I propose that the OP should rename it to something a bit more descriptive and easy to locate.

I'm down for that, but not really sure what to change it to? Any ideas anyone?

On a side note, I checked out my 2nd cpu socket and didn't notice any bent pins or anything. I didn't buy two cpus though so Im not too concerned about it.

Considering how this thread has taken off, I propose that the OP should rename it to something a bit more descriptive and easy to locate.

I'm down for that, but not really sure what to change it to? Any ideas anyone?

On a side note, I checked out my 2nd cpu socket and didn't notice any bent pins or anything. I didn't buy two cpus though so Im not too concerned about it.

You could always do the make/model of the Motherboard+SATA controllers. That might work

What are you wanting for the whole thing?

I don't know, haven't put any thought into it.  Let me do some thinking and I'll post back.

I'm interested in the motherboard and i'll take the CPU off yoru hands then :)

See everything is sold!

Let me finish moving stuff around this weekend to make sure i don't need anything first.

I'd reccomend renaming the thread something like "SuperMicro H8DME-2 dual Opteron kit"  or something similar.

I see the server you guys got is sold out...do you guys see any reason not to get what they have left

looks like only difference being intel rather than amd

I am perfectly happy right now with my sempron 140 setup but I bought some things to allow expansion like my case is an antec 1200 but my board only has 1 port higher than a pciex1

so i figured I could buy 1 supermicro expansion board and eventually change out the mobo

saved me money initially but would cost me more in the long run

seems like this would give me immediate results and save me some in the long run

I see the server you guys got is sold out...do you guys see any reason not to get what they have left

I am perfectly happy right now with my sempron 140 setup but I bought some things to allow expansion like my case is an antec 1200 but my board only has 1 port higher than a pciex1

so i figured I could buy 1 supermicro expansion board and eventually change out the mobo

seems like this would give me immediate results and save me some in the long run

To me one of the key reasons I didn't go with the Xeon board was there are no PCIe slots on that board. That was a big future expansion possibility issue in my opinion. Other than that I didn't see anything else that would've steered me away.

To me one of the key reasons I didn't go with the Xeon board was there are no PCIe slots on that board. That was a big future expansion possibility issue in my opinion. Other than that I didn't see anything else that would've steered me away.

The PCIx on the intel version is plenty fast and you have three cards in the system. There is no real "upgrade" needed.. Ever..for what it is. For  unraid anyways

Hello,

I just bought this server and I'll be receiving it on Tuesday and have some questions.

I would like to use this for media storage, and run sab, cp, and sb. As most of my media is in mkv I would like to some try something to transcode and stream to my ps3 and ipad.

It looks like this will run unraid out of the box without any problems.

Should I install the second cpu?

Does the 6 core versions work after bios update?

Will this http://www.ebay.com/itm/320878297846?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 work?

Does EXSi work?

Thanks for your help