SuperMicro H8DME-2 Dual 6 Core Opteron?

Tragik

I have this same MB for sale  :-) 

and also 2 2419 CPUs and about 48GB of RAM

BIOS is updated to 3.5

it works well with unraid if you are not planning to do VM on it.

or at least no doing any PCI pass-through (so running UnRaid V6 as Host and simple Gusets will work fine.)

even though SM says MB supports IOMMU (I know CPU supports it) it is not 100% and PCI pass through not working.

other than that it is great board.  IPMI is a godsend, I miss it terribly now.

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Where can I get a hot swap tray for a 2.5" SSD drive, for the TAMS 24 bay supermicro chassis that I bought last May?  I have tried 2 types of  2.5"->3.5" adapters from the local computer store; neither is designed for the position of the SATA connector on the SuperMicro chassis.

I believe that when I got the chassis, there was an internal mount for a 2.5" drive but I completely gutted the case to replace the power supply and fans.

• 5 months later...

Just fired mine up from a long hiatus in storage.  Server powers on, fans work, everything looks alive, plugin a network cable and I see link lights.

I don't see any VGA appear nor do the hard drives spin up. I am seeing 2 blinking lights on the first 2 hard drives and that's all. Other than that all the drives stay dead and there is no display.

I wonder if Father time finally came and collected this server.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

anyone?

i'm still running the same one that we bought around the same time... its been on 24/7 since launch!  sorry to hear your's is not booting

I hope it stays with me for a few more years!  In fact, I am not running my second similar unit from the same seller!  Just couldn't say no to the value

I still have mine too.

I had been trying to do a vm server on it for a while went through  multiple setups.

tried Proxmox, oVirt and multiple others.

I think I am staying with CentOS7+KVM/QEMU managed by Cloudmin/WebMin combination.

all data is on a BTRFS raid1 array for now. once all is up and running might convert to raid6.

FYI>> I had re-purposed the server under different MB last year, but returned the original MB back. and when I did that I misplaced the MB post and in shorted out. I had the same symptoms as  Bigdady92, fans run, some blinking light on a panel but nothing else.

in my case though, server would just turn off in a minute or so.

had to hunt down the extra post I had left on the case.

FYI>> I had re-purposed the server under different MB last year, but returned the original MB back. and when I did that I misplaced the MB post and in shorted out. I had the same symptoms as  Bigdady92, fans run, some blinking light on a panel but nothing else.

in my case though, server would just turn off in a minute or so.

had to hunt down the extra post I had left on the case.

What do you mean motherboard post? the seperator from the case to the motherboard? A standoff?

yes , for a second I forgot how they are called  :-)

I used desktop MB to see if I can load up xen server and do pathrough  as the oem board does not support this functionality in xen or esxi.

when I swap the boards I missed one of the sandoffs.

but I also had similar experince when I drop small screw in the case of my HTPC.

I did not notice it in time and had to take all apart.

• 1 month later...

I'm still running mine after 3 years. I've replaced a few of the fans but left the PSU's in there (its in a cupboard under the stairs so have now got use to the noise).

Up to 26Tb in storage in it so far and on Unraid 6 with crashplan, plex, sab, sickbeard and couchpotato all running in docker and then a couple of test Vm's that I run when needed. I did upgrade the ram to 24gb to help support those as well.

Only thing I never tracked down is the slow speed of the parity checks but they do completed after 18 hours so haven't worried about it so far.

• 4 months later...