SSD unRaid?

Tedd

you mean like FLAC?

Pretty sure the Bryston doesn't accept FLAC. I'm also not convinced FLAC is sonically identical to the original wav file.

http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=339 says here the Bryston does support flac. Dont own one, so dont quote me.

Regarding the 'not convinced FLAC is sonically identical to the original wav'.

It is extremely hard to create accurate copy of analog audio stream. As for digital audio, all one have to do is create identical bits and its done. In laymen term, FLAC file is scientifically identical to the WAV counterpart(in term of data similarity).

You can do one simple experiment to prove that flac and wav file contain similar data. try compressing wav file to flac and then convert the flac file back to wav. the wav file should be identical.

if for whatever reason(the flac drop the meta information in the wav, if there is any) the wav file are not identical, try to clean up the wav file before compressing.

im not a sound engineer and my knowledge in audio compression is limited. it is just what i would do in your situation.

I'm also not convinced FLAC is sonically identical to the original wav file.

Using lossless compression creates exactly the same bitstream, when decompressed, as the original.  How can two identical bitstreams sound different (assuming that they are clocked out in exactly the same way)?

Actually, I have heard it argued that since the processor has to work harder in decoding the FLAC, the audio stages might be disturbed - however I remain unconvinced by that argument and, to me, it would imply a bad circuit design.

All my CDs are stored in my server as FLAC files and I am unable to detect any difference from the original.

I learned long ago not to argue with audiophiles about what they can hear. I would suggest FLAC instead as a stop gap measure until SDD prices come down further.

How will you plug into the Bryston with an unRAID server since it is expecting a USB drive. I don't think it is possible, is there something I am missing?

I learned long ago not to argue with audiophiles about what they can hear. I would suggest FLAC instead as a stop gap measure until SDD prices come down further.

How about a little experiment?

Take a wav file and convert it to flac.  Convert the flac back to wav.  Do a comparison between the two wav files to prove that they are identical.  Play all three files and ask an audiophile to distinguish between them.

How about a little experiment?

Take a wav file and convert it to flac.  Convert the flac back to wav.  Do a comparison between the two wav files to prove that they are identical.  Play all three files and ask an audiophile to distinguish between them.

I suggest a "forth" file ... play the original wav file again only tell them it is an MP3 encoded at 320kb vbr ... when they can't tell the difference on the typical "comsumer-phile" gear they have they can save themselves all the trouble.  No doubt there is a difference and on the right equipment, in the right listening environment, with the right source it can be heard.  But now adays "source" matieral is so bad unless you are making the effort to get quality source (no a CD rip is not HQ for most stuff) that high-bitrate mp3 is damn good for most gear and most listening environments.

Oh I got the reasoning behind the FLAC suggestion right off. Four letters, $150 bucks a letter. :)

I also fully understand the "don't argue with an audiophile" statement. But I also know, and can 

appreciate, the huge price/performance factor of pairing a 2TB hd with a Logitech Squeezebox.

Hardware:

$5-600 "out of pocket" ssd  1 TB-ish UnRaid.  I'm good with that! :)

Bryston BDP-1 with Ipad as remote touchscreen.

then it's decision time: Buy a Classe CP-800 or buy a Bryston BDA-1 and use the second zone of

the Integra 80.2 in the rack.  $4K gulf there. Leaning towards the Classe but the 80.2/BDA-1 should be

impressive in it's own right.

Ohlwider, there's an ethernet port on the Bryston for networking. It needn't be networked if you are simply going to use usb jumpdrives

and the factory remote. My Bryston will be networked since I didn't buy the optional remote, as I wish to use my IPad as controller.

Ohlwider, there's an ethernet port on the Bryston for networking. It needn't be networked if you are simply going to use usb jumpdrives

and the factory remote. My Bryston will be networked since I didn't buy the optional remote, as I wish to use my IPad as controller.

The web site I read said the ethernet port was for control.

As I already posted though, there is a USB stick you can buy which connects to a wireless router and makes a network share appear to be a local USB drive.

http://hsti.com/wirelessmediastick/overview

Peter

As I already posted though, there is a USB stick you can buy which connects to a wireless router and makes a network share appear to be a local USB drive.

Neat solution, my concern would be buffering with 24/96 (or larger) wav files over wireless. Certainly fast enough to stream, but I wonder how responsive skipping between tracks would be.

I decided to check with Bryston, since I began to wonder if I was overlooking something.

"The BDP-1 can playback from a shoutcast server so he could setup a shoutcast

server on his linux storage server.  Also the NAS feature on the BDP-1's

firmware would allow the BDP-1 to connect to any samba share. "

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Haven't dropped the project. Got a little side tracked though...

Front end just added, for a stereo based media room. NAD C 390DD

Server hardware upgrade pile of parts: P8Z77 mobo, Intel G620 cpu, 2x4G ram, SATA3 60G ssd boot drive,

2x240G SATA2 ssd, and 2x120G SATA ssd (so far...  -loving the drop in ssd prices).