upgrade 4.5.4 to 4.7: different disk size reported on IDE drives

I have two IDE drives in a mostly SATA system. After upgrading from 4.5.4 to 4.7, these two disks are reported as DISK_WRONG. The main web page reports that the drives are 4 bytes smaller than the recorded (or expected) size. See the attached screenshot for the Main menu report which shows the correct disk serial numbers but different sizes.

- Eric

Mar 8 19:42:38 Tower kernel: md: import disk11: [3,0] (hda) ST3750640A 5QD35X17 size: 732573492
Mar 8 19:42:38 Tower kernel: md: disk11 wrong
Mar 8 19:42:38 Tower kernel: md: import disk12: [8,80] (sdf) Hitachi HDS5C302 ML0220F30LE4VD size: 1953514552
Mar 8 19:42:38 Tower kernel: md: import disk13: [3,64] (hdb) ST3500630A 9QG7YJ3R size: 488385492
Mar 8 19:42:38 Tower kernel: md: disk13 wrong

Capture.PNG.e7e11ee1c9ff9dd246b81e493c1c4ef5.PNG

Thanks. Booting up under 4.7 confirms that HPA is the trouble. But there's nothing to be done to fix it, at least under this OS, because hdparm says:

# hdparm -N /dev/hda
/dev/hda:
The running kernel lacks CONFIG_IDE_TASK_IOCTL support for this device.
READ_NATIVE_MAX_ADDRESS_EXT failed: Invalid argument

I guess I'll just stick to 4.5.4 until I need to replace these drives.

- Eric

• 3 months later...

Thanks. Booting up under 4.7 confirms that HPA is the trouble. But there's nothing to be done to fix it, at least under this OS, because hdparm says:

# hdparm -N /dev/hda
/dev/hda:
The running kernel lacks CONFIG_IDE_TASK_IOCTL support for this device.
READ_NATIVE_MAX_ADDRESS_EXT failed: Invalid argument

I guess I'll just stick to 4.5.4 until I need to replace these drives.

- Eric

Is that drive really an IDE drive?  If not, is you enable the native SATA commands in the BIOS (enable AHCI for the disk controller) you might have the needed IOCTL.  Otherwise, you'll need to boot up seatools, or some other dos based utility to get rid of the HPA.

Thanks, Joe. I'll see if I can set in for AHCI in the bios. Yes, I really have two old IDE drives in the system, 500GB and 750GB. I feel like a dunce for not finding the posts here about banishing the HPA with SeaTools and HDDGuru when this came up in the winter, so I'll put the drives in a windows machine and try them if AHCI doesn't improve the situation.

- Eric

Thanks, Joe. I'll see if I can set in for AHCI in the bios. Yes, I really have two old IDE drives in the system, 500GB and 750GB. I feel like a dunce for not finding the posts here about banishing the HPA with SeaTools and HDDGuru when this came up in the winter, so I'll put the drives in a windows machine and try them if AHCI doesn't improve the situation.

- Eric

Only do ONE at a time, otherwise unRAID will think there are TWO new disks in the array and you'll not be able to start it.

Remove the HPA on one disk, let unRAID rebuild it onto itself, then repeat the process with the other.