Time Machine: user vs disk share

I've not been able to do a backup with Time Machine to a user share. It works fine to a disk share.

If I mount afp://server/disk14 and point Time Machine to "disk14" it works, but if I create a user share "TM" with only disk14 included and mount as afp://server/TM and point Time Machine to "TM", the backup fails after a couple of GB.

I'm using unRAID 5b14. In both cases I export AFP as "Yes (Time Machine)" with security "Private" and disable SMB export.

Anyone with similar experience who have found a workaround/fix?

I'm experiencing the same thing. TM to a user share fails after a few days. TM directly to a disk share has been working mostly great (10.7 would not "see" the disk until my 10.6 machine saw and successfully started backing up to it, then 10.7 said it was a valid backup device.)

The backup on a user share failed during the verify phase, and I'm now seeing significant file corruption issues on other user shares, which I'll write up in a separate post a little later when I have more testing and data.