EVGA H55 Motherboard WITH 8 SATA PORTS $39.99

GFOviedo

I've been surfing around since I've been itching to build another unRaid server...don't ask me why, but after building my first one, I just want to make a better one lol.  I saw this mobo for $39.99 with 8 Sata II ports.  What do you guys think?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=5633638&sku=E145-2079&SRCCODE=WEM3045TO&cm_mmc=email-_-Main-_-WEM3045-_-tigeremail3045&utm_source=EML&utm_medium=main&utm_campaign=WEM3045&[email protected]

Hmm, looks interesting.  This board has the potential to be a nice 22-24 drive budget board.  Here's my thoughts:

- The motherboard is full ATX in size, which means that it probably won't work well for a 15 or smaller drive server. The side-ways facing SATA ports exacerbate the size of the motherboard as the cables need to stick out even further.  In a large 20-bay case, such as the Antec 1200 or Norco rackmount, it should do fine.

- The two PCIe slots should work for dual SASLP cards.

- I would use an i3 for this board.

- The NIC is a big if, I don't know if it will work or not.  If it doesn't work, then you could always add a PCI NIC to one of the PCI slots (also adding $20-$30 in expense, somewhat negating the sale price of the board).

- The board has two separate SATA controllers for the 6 black ports (with no RAID support) and the 2 red ports (with RAID support).  As long as the JMicron JMB363 chip (which controls the red SATA ports) has a JBOD or NO-RAID mode, then all 8 should work.  However, I wouldn't be too surprised if this isn't the case and only the 6 black SATA ports work.

There are quite a few unknowns with this board, but at that price I think it would be worth the gamble.

If you don't mind spending $10 more but want to save the hassle of testing a new board, I would recommend the ECS A885GM-A2 (V1.1) as described in my 20+ Drive Prototypes.

I was thinking about buying it and trying it out, but the wife said to first fix what I've got prior to getting new toys lol.  I'm still having network issues after getting U-Verse.

Network issues have been solved after cancelling U-Verse and re-installing Comcast back lol.  However, the U-Verse techs someone bent one of my Cat5e lines leading to my master bedroom, and now I don't get a signal...they bent it by using a nail gun in a 90 deg. angle wall / roof section.  So, now I am going to have to replace the freaking line since U-Verse won't do it.

You could cut it and extend it with a new wire.  just a suggestion....

It's bent in multiple locations.  I was thinking of just cutting the bent areas, but I don't want to take a change of not working, and then having to re-run the line.  So, I'm just going to replace it.

You could cut it and extend it with a new wire.  just a suggestion....

It's been in multiple locations.  I was thinking of just cutting the bent areas, but I don't want to take a change of not working, and then having to re-run the line.  So, I'm just going to replace it.

That sucks (especially that Uverse won't cover the install), but at least you can upgrade to Cat6!