teracopy runs for a while then stops

Hello all!  Bit of a unraid newb here…

I’m in the process of copying about 20 tb of data over 10 drives into my new unraid server.  Overall  its going well but I am having a problem that I don’t know how to trouble shoot

I’ll set teracopy to copy over about 1 tb either before bed, or before I leave for work.  When I return to the pc, I see the copying has stopped.  Teracopy sits open and there is a message at the bottom saying ‘the destination is not available’ (or something like that).  It appears like its run for 3 or 4 hours, then halted.

When I try to click on my share, I see its definitely connected but the drives are spun down

I guess one of two things are happening:

1. Maybe the drives are spinning down in the middle of the copy which then stops it

2. I think more likely, the server is disconnecting, thereby stopping the copy job, then the server is reconnecting itself, however teracopy can’t restart the copy until I manually intervene

Its quite a bummer because its causing this migration to take a lot longer than it needs to… any advice on how to trouble shoot?

Hello all!  Bit of a unraid newb here…

I’m in the process of copying about 20 tb of data over 10 drives into my new unraid server.  Overall  its going well but I am having a problem that I don’t know how to trouble shoot

I’ll set teracopy to copy over about 1 tb either before bed, or before I leave for work.  When I return to the pc, I see the copying has stopped.  Teracopy sits open and there is a message at the bottom saying ‘the destination is not available’ (or something like that).  It appears like its run for 3 or 4 hours, then halted.

When I try to click on my share, I see its definitely connected but the drives are spun down

I guess one of two things are happening:

1. Maybe the drives are spinning down in the middle of the copy which then stops it

2. I think more likely, the server is disconnecting, thereby stopping the copy job, then the server is reconnecting itself, however teracopy can’t restart the copy until I manually intervene

Its quite a bummer because its causing this migration to take a lot longer than it needs to… any advice on how to trouble shoot?

I have a car that is having some issues.  Any idea what part I might need?  need more information?  So do we... ;)

You can start by telling us which version of unRAID.  What OS are you copying from?  And then, you can look at the post at the top of this forum which suggests it is a good practice to attach a system log.  It often has clues to what is happening.

Joe L.

Have you considered copyng from within the server ?  You could add drives to your unraid server but not add them to the array and then copy from -wthin- the server to the new disks... That would be spectacularly faster and it takes a lot of components out of the mix that might give issues..

Sounds like the problem that I've described here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=19083.msg170946#msg170946

Another user had the problem too, here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=18747

Unfortunately there seems to be no solution for this problem yet.. I notice this problem with different copy programs, different OS, and even SMB or NFS. I noticed also, that this happens only at the start of transferring a new file. When it begins copying, the file is completely copied. But if it does not start, then an error occurs like "Network resoure is not available any more".

I also noticed that if this error occurs, the target data disk is working and working but nothing happens. The parity disk is doing nothing in this time. If you retry to copy the file, it usually works.

Wow thanks for all the feedback... i was about to gather some more of my detailed spec info including a log but just then we had a major power outage at my place which lasted a couple of hours...

upon the power's return, i rebooted and reset the copy...its now been running since 2pm yesterday (now 9am here) with no glitches! 

I highly recommend power outages for all!!!  jk

i'm over half way through my initall setup copying... will of course monitor this issue to see if it returns! 

Just to not let this problem die:

I am pretty sure that this is the same problem as described here:

It's excactly what I've discovered and described in my thread: When starting to copy a file, the server first tries to allocate the space but since it is a large file, it takes longer than the windows time-out. But this problem only occurs when the free space on the target disk is getting lower (about 20-25% free space, so many times enough free space for the file to copy).

I can reproduce this issue. I just inserted a fresh 2 TB disk yesterday and copied about 1.5TB without any problem, but then the problem "Network resource not available any more" rises again and you have to try several times until it begins to copy the file.

i was wondering today if its a teracopy problem... i did insert a clean 2tb drive this morning... when trying to copy with teracopy, it would copy a gb or two and then fail with the error 'network destination not available' or whatever the error is...

i then uninstalled teracopy, and using plain old win 7 copy paste its been working all day with no prob, have copied about a terabyte so far....

but maybe to your point, maybe the array needed a few minutes to adjust the allocations to the new drive, and during this time i was getting the error.... maybe a few minutes later when i uninstalled teracopy and used the win 7 copy, maybe the array was ready to just continuously write to the new clean drive...

i guess i'll see if the windows copy bombs out when the drive gets more full... currently about 1tb full, 1 tb free.

Most likely the problem will rear its ugly head again. The mysterious disappearance of the network connection has most likely nothing to do with UnRaid nor anything with the network, but it is all Win 7 related. I have participated in many of the discussion here regarding the symptoms you are experiencing and came to the conclusion that it is "green ribbon of death - Windows 7". Search this site for "green Ribbon" and you will get to this http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=15845.0 link where some of us tried all kind of different solutions but none worked effectively. I have lost data by moving, it started the move then the error destination no longer available and data was gone. So I do manual copy and delete from Win 7 machines.

Also I have found the standard setup on my HP N40L running v5 beta14 to be very stable. I still get the Green Ribbon but it does not go into the death part. I keep my Win 7 x64 machines regularly updated  and have not seen the error dialog box in quite awhile.

I am using TeraCopy exclusively between UnRaid and Win 7 x64 machines but if you want to avoid any chances of repeats you have to originate from a Linux Source in a Linux session to UnRaid.