Which 4 TB drive should I buy?

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking at either 2x ST4000VN000 or  2x ST4000DM000 for starter drives in my first unRAID box.  (1 for parity, the other as one of a few data drives, the others to be scavenged from existing drives)

I understand the NAS drive has "special things that make it better".  But it's also significantly more expensive.  Are the differences significant enough in an unRAID system?

I've read that the main bottleneck is the network - which I can understand, and will remain so for one of the systems primary users will be over wifi.  So are the difference performance related, or reliability?  If so is it enough to warrant the extra $$$?

5 hours ago, garycase said:

I'd go with the NAS drive for its improved resistance to vibration and the longer warranty.

Not sure where you're looking to buy these, but at Amazon, Newegg, etc. there's only about $20 difference in the prices -- hardly what I'd consider ".... significantly more expensive."

Interesting, searching on NewEgg the ST4000DM000 is $111, and the ST4000VN000 is $197, but on Amazon I'm seeing $108/$121, so yea... that makes it an easier decision!

I like the Seagate HDD ST4000NM0035 4TB SATA III 6Gb/s Enterprise 7200RPM 128MB 3.5 inch 512n drives.  I have purchased the 6 and 8TB of this version, but not the 4TB one.

From the seagate lineup, these are supposed to be the fastest.  That said, they just released a newer version that cost around $270.

These are supposed to be more relieable and faster than the desktop line.

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-ST4000NM0035-Enterprise-7200RPM-128MB/dp/B01FRC1GRQ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1515865734&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=ST4000NM0035&psc=1

• 3 weeks later...
  • JorgeB unpinned this topic