RocketRaid 640

I have now come to the conclusion that i need to build my first unraid server. So I have the following hardware(I will be more specific tomorrow when i get back to town.)

Asus P5WD2-E premium

2 gb ram

onboard Marverl SATA controller

radeon 1950 pro

Rocketraid 640 4port that is capable of running 20 drives using port multiplier

2 3TB seagate drives

1 40gb test cache drive ( have a 1TB 7200rpm cache drive ordered)

Issue:

UNRAID does not see the Rocketraid controller

Possible fix:

Loading the linux driver. I have the Linux driver disk that came with the RocketRaid 640, but i do not know how to install this driver on linux. alas i am a windows guy. Sorry..

Any help would be very much appreciated.

I am in this for the long haul!!! if we need to get error logs and more information on my system i am up for it. i am up for going deeper in linux if need to.

Thanks

see

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=12404.0

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Hardware_Compatibility#PCI_SATA_Controllers

for lists of compatible controller cards, while thats not a definitive list, its best to stick to cards that are known to work.

From what i can tell, UnRaid isn't really designed to easilly install 3rd party drivers as each time you restart the computer it will unload the drivers and you will need to reinstall them.

There is a 'startup script' sorta area, but i believe the drive array is started before that runs so it probably wouldn't help you. (Can't start the array if 4 drives are missing!)

I expect the only way to do it is to recompile your own version of the OS with the additional drivers. This would need to be done everytime you wish to update your version of UnRaid, plus, its not an easy thing to do (well, i've never attempted it but i didn't understand a lot of the instructions when i've looked it up)

but thats just my opinion

Thanks for the quick response.

I really do like the rocketraid 640, but it is not on the list(Plus i already have this card). I know that i do not have much experience with Linux, but I would be willing to help the UNraid community get this controller supported from UNraid. I will start searching for how to add the drivers and then recompile the OS. So it will be learning time for me. :)

Does anyone have any good links that might help me in my mission to get the RocketRaid 640 added to linux and recompile the OS. :)

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...