Question About Split Level, Allocation Methods etc...

Had a server up and running for a while now, just noticed a little problem. I have 3 data drives in at the moment (2TB, 2TB, 1TB) and one has gotten dangerously low on space (~90GB), but unfortunately has many current seasons of TV Shows on it so keeps being used. I'm moving some old stuff off of it to remedy this, but was surprised to see Game of Thrones Season 2 get created on that disk. With my Split Level etc, I would have expected this to be put on one of the disks with more space left. So I'm listingt my settings here in the hope I've  made a mistake somewhere that someone can help me fix!

Share - TV Shows

Structure

TV Shows

---Game of Thrones

------Season 2

---------S02E01 - The North Remembers - HD TV.mkv

Split Level - 2

Allocation Method - High Water

Disks Included - All

With a Split Level of 2 I thought that Series could span drives, but Seasons would be forced to stay on the same drive? So I don't understand why Season 2 of Game of Thrones has started on the drive that hardly has any space left? These are the values for space at the moment....

Disk 1 - Size 2TB, Used 1.74TB

Disk 2 - Size 1TB, Used 746GB

Disk 3 - Size 2TB, Used 1.92TB

So if anyone has any advice I'd be very appreciative? I also have a new drive coming this week by he way to help with the lack of space!

• 2 weeks later...

Thee current high-water level for the server is 62.5GB. Once disk 3 has less than 62.5GB free disk2 will be used until it has less then 62.5BG free and finally disk1 will be used until it has less then 62.5GB free. The level will then bet set to 31.25GB and the disk that is closest to 31.25 free will be used.

Season 2 is now assigned to disk 3. Hopefully it will have enough space for the entire season. If it does not, season 2 can be manually moved to another disk.

See here: http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UnRAID_Manual#User_shares_2

Thee current high-water level for the server is 62.5GB. Once disk 3 has less than 62.5GB free disk2 will be used until it has less then 62.5BG free and finally disk1 will be used until it has less then 62.5GB free. The level will then bet set to 31.25GB and the disk that is closest to 31.25 free will be used.

Season 2 is now assigned to disk 3. Hopefully it will have enough space for the entire season. If it does not, season 2 can be manually moved to another disk.

I see, had a feeling it would be to do with High Water. So what will happen if files keep being saved to that disk dues to split level and it reaches Min Free Space?

Also, if I were to manually move Game of Thrones season 2 to a different disk, would new files automatically be saved to that new disk?

I too am looking to understand split level.

If the split level was changed on share TV SHOWS from 2 to 3 wouldnt this make the individual remaining episodes of season 2 move to the next disk after the first was filled to the high water mark?

If I understand this correctly this would be the case and I realize you would have for example the first 4 episodes of the season on 'disk1' and the remaining episodes on 'disk2' which for me would be ok.

I see, had a feeling it would be to do with High Water. So what will happen if files keep being saved to that disk dues to split level and it reaches Min Free Space?

Also, if I were to manually move Game of Thrones season 2 to a different disk, would new files automatically be saved to that new disk?

Yes.

I too am looking to understand split level.

If the split level was changed on share TV SHOWS from 2 to 3 wouldnt this make the individual remaining episodes of season 2 move to the next disk after the first was filled to the high water mark?

If I understand this correctly this would be the case and I realize you would have for example the first 4 episodes of the season on 'disk1' and the remaining episodes on 'disk2' which for me would be ok.

Yes. May need a reboot to take effect.