Is it possible to mount network share (smb)?

For some reason, I store my Jukebox on the internal harddrive on my Popcorn Hour.  I currently run YAMJ from my pc to scan the Media share on my unRaid server and then writes the jukebox to the drive on the PCH.

I would like to migrate YAMJ to my server and was wondering what is the best way to mount the PCH smb share on the server?  I know I could just keep the jukebox files on the server, but this way the drives don't need to spin up until a movie is selected.

• 1 month later...

I used this:

mount -t cifs -o user=nmt,password=1234 //192.168.2.120/Share /mnt/cache/unRAID_Apps/PCH_LivingRoom

Where 192.168.2.120 is my PCH-200 machine's IP address and the default PCH username and password (nmt/1234).

Works great.

Thank you.

I used this:

mount -t cifs -o user=nmt,password=1234 //192.168.2.120/Share /mnt/cache/unRAID_Apps/PCH_LivingRoom

Where 192.168.2.120 is my PCH-200 machine's IP address and the default PCH username and password (nmt/1234).

Works great.

Thank you.

Just be aware that if you mount a remote system like this on either the cache drive OR on any of the data drives,  they (the cache or unrAID data drive) will be considered as "busy" and that will prevent the unRAID array from stopping, even if you are not actively using the remotely mounted shared drive..

Prior to stopping the array, you must un-mount the remote shared drive. 

Joe L.

Where is the powerdown script located?

Does it run before unRAID tries to unmount the array?

It is an add-on you must install.  It is located in /sbin/powerdown when installed.

No, unRAID does not use it before stopping the array.

if using a recent 5.0 version, there are events available to start and stop services.  Unfortunately, they are still evolving and basically none are being used by most add-ons.

If using the 4.5.6 version or later you can do as I do and use a script that monitors the syslog for clues when the array is starting or stopping.  (search the forum for unraid_addon_control.sh )  it in turn will invoke rc.* scripts located in /etc/rc.d/unraid.d

Granted you have to create the rc.* scripts, but many add-ons already do.

You would need to create a rc.smb_remote script that looks something like this:

case $1 in

start)

;;

stop)

umount /mnt/cache/unRAID_Apps/PCH_LivingRoom

;;

esac

Note, when you copy the script into place from your flash drive, you must also make it executable:

cp /boot/rc.smb_remote /etc/rc.d/rc.smb_remote

chmod +x  /etc/rc.d/rc.smb_remote

those two lines need to be added to the end of your "go" script in addition to the one line to invoke the unraid_addon_control.sh process.

In my case, since my unraid_addon_control.sh exists in /boot/custom/bin, that line is:

/boot/custom/bin/unraid_addon_control.sh -u

I invoke it using the full path.

Joe L.

Joe,

Does the "/boot/custom/bin/unraid_addon_control.sh -u" command automatically run start function on all rc.* scripts located under /etc/rc.d/unraid.d?

Edit:

Did restart of the array and indeed it invokes the stop command of each script on shutdown the start command for each script on start up of the unraid_addon_control.sh script.

Thank you Joe L.

Joe,

Does the "/boot/custom/bin/unraid_addon_control.sh -u" command automatically run start function on all rc.* scripts located under /etc/rc.d/unraid.d?

Yes, all of them that are execuitable.

Edit:

Did restart of the array and indeed it invokes the stop command of each script on shutdown the start command for each script on start up of the unraid_addon_control.sh script.

Thank you Joe L.

you are welcome.
  • 4 years later...

Sorry to jump on this thread - could i mount a network drive (different NAS) to the boot usb/flash drive without causing any problems on the Unraid

i.e BOOT USB:\Flash\network\Music      (mapped to)      192.168.2.15/Music

BOOT USB:\Flash\network\Movies      (mapped to)      192.168.2.15/Movies

BOOT USB:\Flash\network\Software      (mapped to)      192.168.2.15/Software

therefore i can map lets say BOOT USB:\Flash\network\Movies into my Plex Server Docker

and BOOT USB:\Flash\network\Music in to my other docker and so on?

I have multiple NAS servers

Thanks

Ric

Sorry to jump on this thread - could i mount a network drive (different NAS) to the boot usb/flash drive without causing any problems on the Unraid

i.e BOOT USB:\Flash\network\Music      (mapped to)      192.168.2.15/Music

BOOT USB:\Flash\network\Movies      (mapped to)      192.168.2.15/Movies

BOOT USB:\Flash\network\Software      (mapped to)      192.168.2.15/Software

therefore i can map lets say BOOT USB:\Flash\network\Movies into my Plex Server Docker

and BOOT USB:\Flash\network\Music in to my other docker and so on?

I have multiple NAS servers

Thanks

Ric

Easiest to use the unassigned devices plugin to do this, but it will create the mount points at /mnt/disks/xxxxx.  To mount the shares on the USB, then you will have to manually issue the mount commands.

No problems to add the paths to any docker container.  But, if you're on 6.1.9 you have to stop and restart the entire docker service for it to recognize files contained within the mount points.  On 6.2, when adding the volumes, select RW:Slave as the mode to avoid this problem.  Note that slave mode on 6.2 will only work with the mounts in /mnt/disks/  If you choose to mount them elsewhere, then you will also have to stop and start the entire docker service for any container to recognize them.