"SimpleFeatures" - WebServer Plugin [SUPPORT]

One idea for a plugin... Have a navbar for the various sites / apps hosted on unRAID.  I used your web server plugin and mixed in some dynamic html to have a navigation bar across the bottom that autohides.  In there I placed launcher images for each of the various sites hosted on the unRAID box.  Makes quick work of jumping between them!

Thanks!

(screenshots attached)

I like your idea. However, there would need to be a standard that each plugin developer follows. That might be the trickiest bit  ;)

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooooh I've been looking for an easy way to run my own sites from here. This could be it :)

One question though (and probably a very open one) is how secure is this if opened up to the internets via port forwarding? Is it wise, or should this be for internal use really?

Ooooh I've been looking for an easy way to run my own sites from here. This could be it :)

One question though (and probably a very open one) is how secure is this if opened up to the internets via port forwarding? Is it wise, or should this be for internal use really?

I was wondering the exact same thing... was planning on putting an htaccess/htpasswd file on it to discourage external users...

I'd say it'd be relatively safe for a home web server setup. Lighttpd is as secure as its setup. Disable any modules that you don't need, disable access to shell (that may have other implications however), and make sure you're only opening the webserver port. YouTube runs Lighttpd, however they'll have a much better setup that this plugin  ;)

It's a risk opening anything up to the internet, it's up to you whether or not you think the risk is acceptable.

Speeding_ant thanks very much for this useful plugin.

I was running a web server based on the older package of BubbaQ, yours has a newer (latest) version of lighttpd and good PHP version.

I like the settings page, nicely fits in the SimpleFeatures theme and contains helpful information, though perhaps it should be a black & white globe to match the other icons.

All is working flawlessy, including the stats pages.  :D

Any chance of adding a LOG purge button ?

Changes:

1.0 - Updated PHP to 5.3.10. Fixed some bugs with configuration files. Added logging for PHP to prevent STDOUT issues. Changed to make sure timezone is added on start. Remove your /boot/extra/plugins/sf_webserver/php/php.ini file to take advantage of bug fixing.

Re-download the PLG from link in the front page, follow install instructions.

Cheers!

I made the necessary corrections in the appropriate files, no more a warnings avalanche...

See the PM and download the update package (again).

Ps. PHP is also complaining about undefined variables "string" and "string2" in the webserver app. You may want to look into that.

Ps2. Need to relook at "hardwareStats.php", it generates 'zillions' of warnings  :o

I made the necessary corrections in the appropriate files, no more a warnings avalanche...

See the PM and download the update package (again).

Ps. PHP is also complaining about undefined variables "string" and "string2" in the webserver app. You may want to look into that.

Ps2. Need to relook at "hardwareStats.php", it generates 'zillions' of warnings  :o

Haha, cheers  :)  Yes hardwareStats creates a warning for EACH data point. Yikes!

:'( I got it working very nicely - until I tried to get the server (with my Wordpress blog) online. Somewhere (router - OSX - unRAID - Wordpress) I must have made a clumsy mistake (n00b-alert). I thought I got everything back to "normal", but every time I try to access the server directly (192.168.x.x:xx), the browser is directed to the unRAID main page, regardless of the port I use on the plugin settings page. I already re-installed the plugin, cleared the browser caches, cleared the Data Directory, new Data directory, etc .... Again it worked 100% at some point.

This is (almost?) driving me crazy and any feedback is greatly appreciated!

I would start with completely removing the SF web server plug-in and see from there if everything is back to normal.

To have a "clean" system:

1. Remove the folder "/boot/config/plugins/sf_webserver"

2. Remove the file "/boot/config/plugins/simplefeatures_webserver.plg"

Reboot your system.

Essentially, these are required/ideal for external hosting:

• External fixed IP

• Domain name with dns records for www.domain.com & domain.com pointing to external IP

• Site hosted on your internal network

• Firewall configured to take request for port 80, which then forwards that onto your internal web server IP and port.

Thank you @speeding_ant - @bonienl

External fixed IP = OK

Domain name with dns records for www.domain.com & domain.com pointing to external IP = I think I got this covered through my ISP - www.dirksmolders.nl

Site hosted on your internal network = OMG, Wordpress blog is up and running again on port 81, took me a while, but I got there (hallelujah ..)

Firewall configured to take request for port 80, which then forwards that onto your internal web server IP and port = I think this is the part where I go wrong. Netgear router - Port Forwarding - Service HTTP - Port 81.

What am I missing? Thanks again & take care!