[SOLVED] Mac cannot open shares - Upgrade from 4.7 to 5b14

I just upgraded from 4.7 to 5b14 hoping it would resolve my extraneous resetting and parity check issues (another topic).  All went fine until I tried to look at my share drives from my Mac.  I get the following error message

The operation can’t be completed because the original item for “Video_Library” can’t be found.

I get this for all the shares, except the flash drive, which I can access fine.  I can see the disks (shared) and the associated shares but can not access, getting the following error message

The folder “Video_Library” can’t be opened because you don’t have permission to see its contents.

I have tried turning the shares on and off, with no luck.  My original shares were created on 4.7; On 5b14, I have them shared only with SMB, Security Public (have not played with AFP yet).

System:

ASUS P8Z68-V LX mother board with 6 onboard SATA; Intel i5-2300, 2.8Ghz; 2-4G RAM

Additional SATA card (4 port) - no name chinese card

Antec 750W PSU

5- 2TB data, 1- 2TB Parity, 1- 500G Cache - all Seagate drives

Antec 300 case

Sony 4GB flash drive

I have 3 shares that include all disks.

Guidance appreciated.

syslog_20120412.txt

Rebooting the Mac does not do it. 

I have fussed with the settings: 

With SMB enabled, and AFP off it will not let me connect only to the flash drive.  If I try to connect to any other share directly (through Finder->GO->Connect to Server->pick the share, it get a message that I do not have permissions.  Once connected to the flash drive, the other share appear, but can not be accessed (per my first post).

With SMB and AFP enabled, I get two shared servers; one with a -SMB designation, the other not (assuming it is AFP).  This does not help with access.

Am I missing setting a permission somewhere?

Thanks

dgaschk,

Thanks, I had not.  I found them on the utilities page after my last post and started it running prior to going to bed.  All is good now  :).

Chalk it up to an id10t error.

I will monitor the new version and hopefully it also resolves my shutdown issues of 4.7 (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=19470) that were resulting in a restart with continuous parity check.

• 7 years later...

Dear People of the Future,

I had this exact problem in 2019 on macOS in 2019, even without an Unraid Upgrade, and this is the forum post that comes up on Google. Here is how I solved the same problem of "The folder “whateverFolder” can’t be opened because you don’t have permission to see its contents."

First:

1) Run the "New Permissions" utility for each share you are struggling with. You can do this by clicking Tools ->"New Permissions" under the "Unraid OS" header. 

2) Leave that browser window open, It took my computer about ~4 hours to cove 1.5 terabytes of data, so just *be patient*

2.5) at this point you will notice you still can't access the folders, even if you disconnect and reconnect to the server. Don't worry that's normal.

3) RESTART YOUR MAC, I know, its crazy, and Macs can go months without restarts, but for whatever reason macOS resets some permission cache that reconnecting to the server won't reset.

4) Everything should work like normal.

4.5) If 1-3 doesn't solve your problem for every share, just do it again, one share took two attempts to get it to work.

1 +2 +3 should solve your problem.

Happy Unraiding

8 minutes ago, 12eward said:

Dear People of the Future

You have replied to a thread that is marked Solved, is 7.5 years old, and for a very old and obsolete version of Unraid.

8 minutes ago, 12eward said:

4.5) If 1-3 doesn't solve your problem for every share, just do it again, one share took two attempts to get it to work.

Unlikely that doing it again would have any effect.

• 4 months later...