Seagate Barracuda 7200 3 TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s $159.99

GFOviedo

Drive prices are definitely coming back down. There will be more..

Unfortunately, the trend is Warranties have dropped from 3-5 years to only 1 or 2 years now..

I always spend the extra money on the WDC Black drives for their 5 year warranty. I never had an issue or fuss when returning a WDC drive in warranty. The process is pretty quick and painless and their online system is well designed to make it easy. When using unraid people usually keep their drives, so spending a little more now will benefit you in the long run. Unless you buy new hard drives every few years.

Still $165 at Amazon, but more significant than the absolute price, IMO, is that the prices seem to have held here with stock availability for some time- i.e. it's not some 'flash in the pan' deal that will bounce back up to $190 (I hope).  That can only bode well for us storage freaks as we move to summer... I'm optimistic we'll get back into the $40/TB range by then.

By the way, the price is back at $159.99 at Amazon  (http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-3-5-Inch-Internal-ST3000DM001/dp/B005T3GRLY/). 

I got two of these when they first dropped the price last week.  Each drive was individually packaged in a cardboard carton with the drive inside an anti-static bag and each end on the drive in a plastic holder which fit inside the carton.  Really well packed as compared to some drives that I have gotten in the past couple of years.  I precleared both drives without issue.  I installed them in my old 3TB FREENAS server and at the present time, the new server is going through a parity sync.  Should be finished in about an hour.

Preclearing a 3Tb drive is NOT a trivial task!  Each one took 51.5 hours!!!  (Of course, the hardware I used for preclearing dates from around 2006.)