"SimpleFeatures" - iTunes Server Plugin [SUPPORT]

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speeding_Ant,

First this is awesome. I installed with no problem. Itunes recognizes the server and it streams flawlessly. I read thru the 9 pages of posts and saw some people having a similar problem, but no solution or clear answer. I can not for the life of me get my shared server to show up on my iphone or ipad. I tried enabling and disabling Home Sharing etc... Is there some other change I need to make etc that you know of?

Thanks,

Rick

Some questions:

My wife has an iphone 4s

I have an ipad 3

Theres my unraid server containing mp3s

Normally i use squeezebox server on unraid, so i can (with use of ipeng app for ipad) select my music on unraid and let it play through my squeezebox

Now my wife wants to be able to copy those mp3's on the server to her iphone

She even wants to have ringtones, but for that it seems i need itunes (to make ringtone from mp3)

And she wants to be able to play those tones on her iphone when shes connected with wifi

Now, do i need this plugin for it?

If i use itunes, doest it double copy or change my existing mp3s?

Some questions:

My wife has an iphone 4s

I have an ipad 3

Theres my unraid server containing mp3s

Normally i use squeezebox server on unraid, so i can (with use of ipeng app for ipad) select my music on unraid and let it play through my squeezebox

Now my wife wants to be able to copy those mp3's on the server to her iphone

She even wants to have ringtones, but for that it seems i need itunes (to make ringtone from mp3)

And she wants to be able to play those tones on her iphone when shes connected with wifi

Now, do i need this plugin for it?

If I understand you correctly you (your wife) wants to:

copy mp3's to an iphone;

-> You do not need this plugin to copy files, this plugin also does nothing like that

and translate those mp3's to ringtones for the iphone;

-> You need itunes for that, this forked-daapd plugin will not do that, install itunes on your pc/mac, access the files on the unrid system (it will present itself as a shared library), and create your ringtones.

-> If you have ringtones on your iphone you do not need a tool (or wifi) to play them..

No. But ofcourse that depends how you use it.

I do get the impression that you want to know something different then the questions you are asking (or at least how I understand them), can you try to rephrase ?

yeah you got a bit wrong...

To copy those mp3 files to her phone she doesnt need itunes to synch with? I thought she has to.

To translate it to ringtones, she does need itunes,, why isnt this plugin itunes then?

She needs wifi if she wants to play those mp3s on the server.... (in case the mp3s arent on her phone)

Then what is this plugin for?

I thought this plugin was the same itunes for pc, but then for the unraid server...

if anyone is wondering why their server is not starting and is throwing Avahi errors. I found that i was missing the avahi user in my /boot/config/go/passwd file, so I added the following line:

avahi:*:558:558:Avahi Daemon User:/nonexistent:/sbin/nologin

Lo and behold, the service started working again and, thus, so did this plugin.

I hope this helps someone with the issues i've been reading here regarding Avahi.

c

Speeding_Ant,

First this is awesome. I installed with no problem. Itunes recognizes the server and it streams flawlessly. I read thru the 9 pages of posts and saw some people having a similar problem, but no solution or clear answer. I can not for the life of me get my shared server to show up on my iphone or ipad. I tried enabling and disabling Home Sharing etc... Is there some other change I need to make etc that you know of?

Thanks,

Rick

No one has a solution? Or any thoughts?

Thanks

Speeding_Ant,

Thanks,

Rick

No one has a solution? Or any thoughts?

Thanks

I can't access the shared server to show up on my iPhone or iPad either. For now I've just been dealing with it by accessing my music from my main computer with Home Sharing. I keep all my music on my main computer, which is a MacBook, so I will still have it all if I go on a trip and rsync the iTunes music folder with a share on my server so I can access the music from the rest of my computers. I would like to get it fixed so I don't have to rely on that computer to stream to my iPhone or iPad though.

I have a problem seeing the shared library with my iPhone. It appears perfectly in iTunes on my computers, I can use the remote app in iOS, but I don't know why, the shared library doesn't appear in my shared libraries on the Music app on iOS. Am I the only one?

Tontonfranz - did you find a solution to this? I have the same issue: iTunes on my PC can see iTunes on my unRaid tower, but on my iPod I can only see my shared library on my PC, not the shared library on the server. Any ideas?

I read through this post but didn't find the answer to my question. I have 2 shares on my unraid, Music and Games/Apps. I want to be able to monitor both of them in itunes so when I add a new game or song itunes adds it. Do I need to point the itunes folder location to the itunes server share? I have tried a few ways but having no luck.

I have a problem seeing the shared library with my iPhone. It appears perfectly in iTunes on my computers, I can use the remote app in iOS, but I don't know why, the shared library doesn't appear in my shared libraries on the Music app on iOS. Am I the only one?

Tontonfranz - did you find a solution to this? I have the same issue: iTunes on my PC can see iTunes on my unRaid tower, but on my iPod I can only see my shared library on my PC, not the shared library on the server. Any ideas?

Nope, but I'm beginning to think it's on purpose from Apple. I know that the AppleTV only supports 2 sharing protocols: Home Sharing and AirPlay, with Home Sharing being for sure close to Daap but not the same . I think that the Music App from iOS is the same and only understand Home Sharing and not general Daap (you can try with your iTunes on Mac or Windows: turn on Home Sharing and the shared library appears in iOS. Turn it off and it disappears.). As long as nobody succeed in reverse-engineering Home Sharing, you won't have a solution. In fact I think you'll have the same problems with the iTunes servers in a Synology.

The only useful part of iOS for now is being a (expensive) remote.....

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There's probably something I missed, but here goes:

I just installed the plugin, and changed the install away from cahce, as I don't have one atm.

I'm also in the process of transporting all the music from my local iTunes library.

But where I'm confused is these 2 points:

1: This will work as a remote storage for my iTunes music? I still use a local iTunes installed to sync my devices. I just point the iTunes directory to the remote server?

2: How do you administer it? When connecting to the open port it asks for password, and entering "unused" gives me a 404... Is there something I missed?

And I get the same error, can't unmount the drive when shutting down

Warning: simplexml_load_file(): I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/boot/config/plugins/simplefeatures_itunesserver.plg" in /usr/local/sbin/installplg on line 13

xml parse error

I had this issue as well; to get it to work I just CD'ed to directly to the plugins directory and ran the command 'installplg simplefeatures_itunesserver.plg'

c

this might be a dumb question, but do i need to consolidate my library and offload that to the new share i created specifically for the itunes server, or do i just need to copy paste the music without me having to worry about it.

i much prefer just consolidating my entire library to the share location. What i mean by consolidating is using itunes "consolidate library" feature which essentially moving over the current library metadata and files to a different location.

if this is not how i'm supposed to use this plugin, what's the correct procedure then?

tested and works¡¡¡

Only for my info. Artwork (album art) don't show in shared library (other iTunes home-shared does). Is it usual? I can use the list view only.

I´d like to see artwork and assign "stars" to my unraid songs so I can do playlist in the easy way.

thanks.

Very nice plugin, thanks :)

Between i am in the same case as garion, i would like to have cover art on my player ... tryed itunes, amarok, banshee looks the same :(

Maybe one of you have a solution with an external module from the player who download cover art in local?  ::)