Considering ESXi...a few questions

Paulitix

I'm seriously considering going the virtualization route since my PC just kicked the bucket (built in 2002).  I'm currently looking at the X9SCM and most likely a Xeon 1230 or 40.  I prolly dont need to go this route, but hey...I like to play :)  So, a few questions before I click checkout...

What would be the best solution if I wanna build this box primarily for unRaid, but I would like to be able to run/play with some other OSes...definitely Windows, maybe Mac.  ESXi and virtualize all?  Or VirtualBox within unRaid?

SSD vs Spinners...I've noticed in a lot of the ESXi builds, guys have elected to go with SSDs for datastores.  Is there major detriment to using spinners?  After the initial hardware expediture, I'd prefer not to buy SSDs right now. 

Would I be able to use 2 MV8s and pass them through to unRaid?

I'm seriously considering going the virtualization route since my PC just kicked the bucket (built in 2002).  I'm currently looking at the X9SCM and most likely a Xeon 1230 or 40.  I prolly dont need to go this route, but hey...I like to play :)  So, a few questions before I click checkout...

that is a strong setup, it should handle anything you throw at it.

What would be the best solution if I wanna build this box primarily for unRaid, but I would like to be able to run/play with some other OSes...definitely Windows, maybe Mac.  ESXi and virtualize all?  Or VirtualBox within unRaid?

I would go ESXi. VB in unraid can be a challenge and cause latency in the host and the VM's

SSD vs Spinners...I've noticed in a lot of the ESXi builds, guys have elected to go with SSDs for datastores.  Is there major detriment to using spinners?  After the initial hardware expediture, I'd prefer not to buy SSDs right now. 

I run both. SDD do fly, but spinners are fine for most situations. you can also run spinners in raid for some performance increase. You can always upgrade later.

Would I be able to use 2 MV8s and pass them through to unRaid?

Yes, you just need to do a minor hack to your ESXi build