[SOLVED] Read Performance sucks

I had posted this question previously, but didn't provide all the details in my first message and did not get a satisfactory answer.

I have an UnRaid 4.7 server with 4 data disks and 1 parity disk. I have always had issues with more than one computer trying to view a movie on the same disk, but things seem to be degrading further. I am copying data from a single drive (\\unraidserver\disk1), yet no-one is able to watch any movies on any of the other drives. We have a Boxee set up and it basically plays a movie for 20 seconds, and pauses for 5 seconds, then plays for 20, etc. While all movies are presented as a single share (\\unraidserver\movies) I have tested with movies I know are on disk2 or disk3 with no difference.

I am at a loss to understand why, and am hoping someone can offer suggestions.

System Specs:

AMD Athlon II X2 260 Processor

8GB Ram

ASUS M4A88TD-V Motherboard

Intel 10/100/1000 NIC

4 Hard Drives:

1x WD2002FAEX 2TB Parity (WD Black)

4x WD20EARX 2TB Drives (WD Green)

All are on motherboard SATA connectors (3GB SATA)

All drives are configured as AHCI

If I run a Parity Check I get 55-60MB/sec.

I am also including my syslog for review.

I did some tests today trying movies on different drives while I continue to copy data off disk1. The Syslog does not show any data for today other than spindown entries.

Is there a way to get more verbose logging from syslog?

Is there anything that anyone can suggest to improve this?

I really like the simplicity of UnRaid, but this limitation is making it nearly unusable unless I only do data copies late at night - and that is just to get around the issue above. It still does not help me be able to watch multiple movies from the same disk which is really what I want the system to do.

syslog-2012-04-23.txt

It apears that you have a 10/100 network card in the system.

When you copy a file to the system, you would saturate the network.

This would cause problems for other connections as they would have to wait for network time.

I can record in HD on a disk, play back HD from that same disk. My system at the sametime will

have an exchange server running in a virual machine as well as a untangle router package.

This is not a problem on it. My will slow down at times when it is scanning for new media and setting up fan art for Mymovies or xmbc with its database also on the server.

My system specs are a core 2 duo proc 8 gigs of ram, 9 2 tb drives all green. The big difference it is all 1 gig.

When ripping blurays I see about 15% network usages which is 150% of what a 100 meg connection can handle.

John

It's actually a 10/100/1000 NIC:

Settings for eth0:

Supported ports: [ TP ]

Supported link modes:      10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full

100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full

1000baseT/Full

Supports auto-negotiation: Yes

Advertised link modes:      10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full

100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full

1000baseT/Full

Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes

Speed: 100Mb/s

Duplex: Full

Port: Twisted Pair

It's also connected to a gigabit switch - though I have had issues with the switch in the past. I am coping 1.08TB of data off disk1 and it's only 10.9MB, which does suck. Once it's done this set of data I can plug into a different switch.

So you think that if I plugged into another switch I may fix these issues? I would have thought that while 1GB is nice, that 100MB should be sufficient - especially for 2 data connections - but I have been wrong before and would be happy if this is my major issue.

Bill

Just guessing but i would think it would be your issue as there is a reason why it dropped to 100.

Dropping packets and resending will kill network speed. One bluray alone can use over 40 percent of a 100 connetion. Copying to the server will use 100% leaving nothing for the playback.

Ripping a bluray uses 150% of 100 meg or 15% of 1 gig.

Unmemu has some nice tests built in it for real time speed for disks and network speeds.

john

son of a motherless goat!

You nailed it, and I feel really stupid. :-[

My copies are still slow, but I can watch a movie from that disk without everything crapping out.

Thank you very much for the (should have been) obvious answer to a problem that has been driving me nuts for a few months.