Ver 5 Final

BishopA.P.

Love 4.7.  What is the status of the final version?  “When it’s ready” is not an acceptable answer in order for me to take this software seriously.  Is this an actual company that is producing hardware/software, or is this a one man crew doing unRAID when they have spare time?  Are there other projects being worked on?

Look, if you’re stuck on X problem that you still can’t resolve, that’s perfectly acceptable – if you let us know.  Even if you give us a couple of sentences saying “hey- X is broken, and I waiting on Y” or “I’m still trying to figure out how to resolve X”.  This is important – we are trusting our data on this system, and we want to know someone is invested in this.  I’ve seen others ask similar questions, and have had people jump all over them for asking – what the fuck is up with that?  We’re not talking open source here.

I’ll make this easy – if I don’t get a response to this, I’ll have my answer.

After various posts i have done on the subject, i have gleaned the following so maybe it will help..

1.] you paid for v4.7 and got it.. the fact that limetech is willing to give v5 for free is a bonus

2.] the problems as stated are out of limetech's control and have been stated so on a lot of occasions

3.] agreed about the 'when it's ready' thing but if there really is no answer to when it's ready there really is none

4.] and to the fact that it's a one man show i agree as there have been no proof otherwise

5.] as to other project's cannot comment as no mention otherwise but he is relocating and seriously taking very looooong

6.] and the general demeanor  around here is take it or leave it..

and i really enjoy this software so i choose to take it ....  ::):o

Thank you for the information.  I agree that the software is great, and I’m more than willing to wait.  But the take it or leave it attitude and lack of response from Limetech causes me to never consider unRAID for anything more than data that can be lost – never a business solution.  It’s frustrating because they have built an effective and cost efficient tool which I think could have a huge market share, but not if they’re going to ignore their customer base.  Perhaps I don’t understand the intention of the product – they are doing this to make money, right?

Well, Limetech has always been very quiet about anything happening. Don't expect that to suddenly change. Unfortunately, V5.0 has mostly been held up by some kernel problems which are out of Limetech's control. Even more unfortunate is the lack of communications about this.

One "issue" is that having open forum access and web-site access to the beta work create expectations which may not be realistic or planned. A more controlled or restricted beta release cycle would have removed much of the development work from public viewing which might have reduced these expectations. Unfortunately, the main web-site is so out of date it also gives the appearance the product was abandoned.

AFAIK, the main issues from a continuing product view are >2T drive support and possibly some newer hardware support built in a stable release. Much of the V5.0 development was to allow unRAID to do more than the original intent of it being used as the OS for a large network storage location. It'll be a better platform when it's done, but it's taken longer because of that.

I've posted comments before due to the bitching being in the wrong place (an inappropriate thread) and a few of my posts were rather blunt after other members had pointed out the problem nicely. Still, I'm sure some people think I "attacked" them for complaining.

Thank you for the information.  I agree that the software is great, and I’m more than willing to wait.  But the take it or leave it attitude and lack of response from Limetech causes me to never consider unRAID for anything more than data that can be lost – never a business solution.  It’s frustrating because they have built an effective and cost efficient tool which I think could have a huge market share, but not if they’re going to ignore their customer base.  Perhaps I don’t understand the intention of the product – they are doing this to make money, right?

my answer to some of your statement is i don't think unRAID was meant to be an enterprise solution, i do realize active directory is included but people use AD at home.My main comment for this is the speed issue to disk access ratio of unRAID it was a data integrity to speed loss as stated somewhere in the main features of unRAID

I actually hope the RC1 is delayed 1 more day considering the Linux Kernel 3.3.4 was just released today, April 27th. There's some NFS fixes and even an MD fix in the latest kernel released. Or hopefully the kernel is bumped down to the stable 3.0.30 version just released today too.