Updated: Cache_Dirs V1.6.7 in an unRAID V5.0 Plugin

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for creating this plugin.

One question/problem: It seems that my disks are spun up all the time. And when I want to reboot my server it takes much longer to stop the array. I see many times "retry unmounting shares". Is this expected behaviour?

yes. any given "find" command must complete.  During this time, you will see "retry unmounting"

Also... and equally time-consuming, a "sync" of the disks is performed before un-mounting them and then stopping the array.  If the disks are spun down, they must each be spun up before they can be unmunted, but that too takes time during which you'll see the retry-unmounting" messages.

If your disks are all spun up all the time, you have other issues. (unless, of course they are all in use, or share a spin-up-group)

The disks are probably spun up because of cache_dirs:

Open files in unmenu shows cache_dirs accessing all disks in the array.

Expected, as it purposely creates a process with a current directory on each disk.  That WILL NOT keep a disk spinning.  What will is you trying to cache more than your memory will hold, or processes on your LAN connected PCs/Media players that are accessing more than just the directory entries.

Could well be because the shares I included in cache_dirs are using all disks. Or a mis-configuration on my part.

perhaps.

Is anybody running this in conjunction with Joe L.'s latest spinup when access script?  My disks are spinning up just to list directory contents when both scripts are run together.  Alone, cache_dirs standalone or this plugin behave as expected.  Thought I'd give the plugin a try to see if it may behave differently with the spinup script, but unfortunately not.

Further details with my experiences are outlined in this this thread.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I want to cache the Movies directory, but it seems like it's not doing that. Isn't it supposed to list the cached directories after it posts the version? Do I need to specify which Dirs to exclude if I'm entering included Dirs?

Apr 30 22:14:10 unRAID cache_dirs: ==============================================
Apr 30 22:14:10 unRAID cache_dirs: command-args=-w -i Media/Movies
Apr 30 22:14:10 unRAID cache_dirs: vfs_cache_pressure=10
Apr 30 22:14:10 unRAID cache_dirs: max_seconds=10, min_seconds=1
Apr 30 22:14:10 unRAID cache_dirs: max_depth=9999
Apr 30 22:14:10 unRAID cache_dirs: command=find -noleaf
Apr 30 22:14:10 unRAID cache_dirs: version=1.6.7
Apr 30 22:14:10 unRAID cache_dirs: ---------- caching directories ---------------
Apr 30 22:14:10 unRAID cache_dirs: 
Apr 30 22:14:10 unRAID cache_dirs: ----------------------------------------------
Apr 30 22:14:10 unRAID cache_dirs: cache_dirs process ID 29346 started, To terminate it, type: cache_dirs -q

Select only the top level share. In this case, "Media".

If you only want to cache the Movies, you'll need to put the movies in their own top-level share.

Oh, you can only cache top level directories? Is there any way to alter the code to search down the tree?

Select only the top level share. In this case, "Media".

If you only want to cache the Movies, you'll need to put the movies in their own top-level share.

Oh, you can only cache top level directories? Is there any way to alter the code to search down the tree?

I have no idea about the plugin version of cache_dirs, but the command-line version I wrote has a complete description of how to use it in the first post in the thread.  It specifically says in that post:

By default, all top level folders on the disks and everything under them in sub-folders are scanned.  If you only want a subset of the top -level folders scanned, you can supply an "include" list using the "-i include_dir" option.  Again, it may be repeated on the command line multiple times.  If using the "include" feature, only those directories included are scanned.  There is no need to use an exclude as well, unless you use a wild-card for the include directory and the "include" wild-card matches more than you want cached.  (The include and exclude options work on top-level folders only.

It DOES search down the directory hierarchy, you are using the -i option incorrectly, as already described, just use cache_dirs -i "Media", or, use the -a option to add more complicated pruning rules as described in the "find" man page for "-prune"

And yes, you can change the script to do anything you want.    Just call it something else, so it does not get confused with something I wrote and distributed.

I have nothing to do with the plugin version of cache_dirs.  It was not created by me, but the author of it did plagiarize my work.  For advice on it, contact them.

Joe L.

I have nothing to do with the plugin version of cache_dirs.  It was not created by me, but the author of it did plagiarize my work.  For advice on it, contact them.

Joe L.

He didn't get your permission? I wasn't aware of that.

Will the exclude option exclude only top-level Dirs or will it exclude sub-Dirs?

To be fair cache_dirs is not licensed at all which not only mean this plugin is against copyright but the use of cache_dirs by any user in any way is a breach of copyright.

Obviously this does not match , or at least my interpretation, the spirit of why Joe created, posted updated cache_dirs but it is the legal reality.

I suggest this is tackled directly so that things dont get out of hand.

There is no doubt in my mind that for me that cache_dirs is the single most useful user contributed tool ever created for unRAID and I dont say that lightly. I am running without it this now as I am on v6 and the real worl performance difference is diabolical.

Joe I suggest you add a license to cache_dirs or pull it.

Could somebody please let me know if my syntax is correct for "Exclude Directories?"  I have a user share called "Media" with sub-directories library/yaDIS that I want to exclude.  I have in Exclude Directories the following:

/Media/Library/yaDIS/

Did I do it correctly?

Thanks

craigr

Joe L.

Will the exclude option exclude only top-level Dirs or will it exclude sub-Dirs?

no permission was asked.

It was done without my collaboration or consent, therefore, the plugin is solely supported by the plugin author.

-e and -i only work with top level directories.

To be fair cache_dirs is not licensed at all which not only mean this plugin is against copyright but the use of cache_dirs by any user in any way is a breach of copyright.

Obviously this does not match , or at least my interpretation, the spirit of why Joe created, posted updated cache_dirs but it is the legal reality.

There is no doubt in my mind that for me that cache_dirs is the single most useful user contributed tool ever created for unRAID and I dont say that lightly. I am running without it this now as I am on v6 and the real worl performance difference is diabolical.

I posted it for use as a command line script for unRAID users.  If anything,the plugin author should have collaborated.

I posted it for use as a command line script for unRAID users.  If anything,the plugin author should have collaborated.

Understood. But with no license included it is even a breach of copyright for users to actually operate cache_dirs. (Spirit vs. letter)

I would clear this up once and for all and add a license of your choosing.

• 4 weeks later...

Is there a version of cache directories that runs on unraid 6 beta  x64?

Same question.  This version crashes emhttpd, but vastly improves performance otherwise.

Anyone?

Is there a version for Unraid 6 beta? is it possible to create such version easily?

Why isn't directory caching capability a part of the Unraid server distribution?

Joe L.

no permission was asked.

It was done without my collaboration or consent, therefore, the plugin is solely supported by the plugin author.

-e and -i only work with top level directories.

I am just wondering here, but if he had created the wrapper without Joe's script but instead have the person install both separatelly, would that have been proper?

The spirit of what everyone done was fine the problem is the detail. Cache_dirs does not have a license so no one can redistribute it and no one can use it. Obviously that is not the spirit of why it exists but it is the reality.

Forgetting all that for a second the real problem is that users dont differentiate between an addon and a script meaning the release of an addon (which doesn't work for me in v6) caused the script author to see traffic here about bugs which were nothing to do with him. Meanwhile the addon author is not handling the bugs.

I dont think Joe cares much about addons he is a shell man. So someone needs to talk to Joe and discuss how best to make an SUPPORT an addon.

In the interim forget the addon and just run the script. It works beautifully as always.

The spirit of what everyone done was fine the problem is the detail. Cache_dirs does not have a license so no one can redistribute it and no one can use it. Obviously that is not the spirit of why it exists but it is the reality.

Forgetting all that for a second the real problem is that users dont differentiate between an addon and a script meaning the release of an addon (which doesn't work for me in v6) caused the script author to see traffic here about bugs which were nothing to do with him. Meanwhile the addon author is not handling the bugs.

I dont think Joe cares much about addons he is a shell man. So someone needs to talk to Joe and discuss how best to make an SUPPORT an addon.

In the interim forget the addon and just run the script. It works beautifully as always.

Agreed. I love the script (not the addon) and now that I hear it doesn't work on v6 will probably mean I will delay my upgrade.

• 2 months later...