unRAID Server Release 5.0-rc1 Available

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Tom,  Would it be possible to add a password protection to the server, perhaps a settings so user could enable or disable this, just for extra protection.

//Peter

you can add a root password and user auth for share access...is that not enough? (I believe if you add a root password it asks you for the password when accessing the webgui...but I may be wrong)

@Tom,  Would it be possible to add a password protection to the server, perhaps a settings so user could enable or disable this, just for extra protection.

//Peter

you can add a root password and user auth for share access...is that not enough? (I believe if you add a root password it asks you for the password when accessing the webgui...but I may be wrong)

That's correct; if you define a root password then the webGui, via your browser, will ask for it for a new session.  Did you mean something else?

//Peter

That's correct; if you define a root password then the webGui, via your browser, will ask for it for a new session.  Did you mean something else?

Password for the GUI, so it´s blocking for other user to configure the server I going to try to set password for root, some easy way to put that in the go file ?

//Peter

Password for the GUI, so it´s blocking for other user to configure the server I going to try to set password for root, some easy way to put that in the go file ?

Password for root did what I was asking for  ;) but how can I protect port 8080 & 9000 ( unmenu & slimserver) perhaps that not possible  ;)

//Peter

Set a root password in the unRAID webGUI.

//Peter

The problem seems to be that once you login, you can't logout!  Thus when any browser window is directed to the server, that browser is logged in as root!

I believe all of the developers who have written GUI's for unRAID are going to have to provide a logout function in the GUI!

Can you pretty please compile the kernel with the PPTP/PPP modules?  .. :)

What exactly do I need to configure in the kernel?  Do you want slackware's ppp package as well?

If you are taking requests of kernel modules, having the vmxnet3 NIC driver would be nice. 

When I make a quick test with two different browsers on my PC, they both get the prompt to enter a password.

I just checked on another computer from this one (which I normally use) and you are correct.  However, on this computer, once I log into the server (from this machine), I can always get right back into the server by just clicking on the bookmark.  This is even after this machine has been turned completely off.  I occasionally get a pop-up 'login box' but the window is already open underneath and I can just click 'cancel' on the login box to get rid of it.

I am using both unMenu and simple features on this server.  I also am using Firefox running on a win 7 (64 bit) machine.  Logging into either GUI will give me access to the other one! 

It may not be a big deal to a lot of people but I can see situations where it would would be a security issue.  It would seem like a simple task to provide a 'logout' button on the top menu of both GUI's to address the issue.  Then when the administrator has completed his tasks, he can logout and prevent any casual visitor from gaining access by simply clicking on a bookmark.

Password for root did what I was asking for  ;) but how can I protect port 8080 & 9000 ( unmenu & slimserver) perhaps that not possible  ;)

May be possible to change the port number. Security through obscurity.

I think Tom can make so more ports are included, right now it's only port 80, perhaps a range from 8000 - 9000  ;) or all port for the server IP

What exactly do I need to configure in the kernel?  Do you want slackware's ppp package as well?

If you are taking requests of kernel modules, having the vmxnet3 NIC driver would be nice.

That would be nice  :)

May be possible to change the port number. Security through obscurity.

I think Tom can make so more ports are included, right now it's only port 80, perhaps a range from 8000 - 9000  ;) or all port for the server IP

I don't think Tom can do that, because every plugin has his own html/webserver framework. I think you have to ask the plugin maintainer if they can add some sort of security. In case of slimserver you have to ask logitech!?

Or Tom allows plugnins only to use a frame inside his code, and you have to authenticate there, before you can see/edit those pages.....

Added it for -rc2.

I upgraded from b14 to rc1.  Everything seems fine for me except for Hamachi.  When I attempt to start the service I get the following recorded in the syslog:

UNRAID kernel: hamachid[7781]: segfault at fffffff3 ip b76c16e9 sp bfec4ef0 error 4 in libstdc++.so.6.0.13[b762d000+e4000]

Hamachi was working in b14.

Built kernel 3.0.30 and testing.  Hopefully get -rc2 out tomorrow...

Also upgraded Samba to 3.6.5, which has the security patches.

Are there any features that are lost going back to kernel 3.0.30?

Just curious.

No.  I've been updating the kernel purely to incorporate network driver and disk controller driver bug fixes; but, it appears most, if not all such fixes have been applied to 3.0.x series as well.

Added it for -rc2.

Thanks a million!! This will make all of us who run unRAID in ESXI happy!