Script to enable SATA Controllers without kernel modification

The attached script will enable a number of AHCI-based SATA controllers without having to recompile the kernel.

The following PCI IDs are supported:

# 1b4b0640 : Marvell 88SE9128 on HPT RocketRAID 640

# 1b4b9120 : Marvell 88SE9128 found on Rocket 620A (possibly others)

# 1b4b9123 : Marvell 88SE9128 found on motherboards and HBAs

# 1b4b9125 : Marvell 88SE9125 found on HPT Rocket 62X

# 1b4b9172 : Marvell 88SE9172 found on motherboards

# 1b4b917a : Marvell 88SE9172 found on motherboards

# 1b4b9192 : Marvell 88SE9172 found on motherboards

# 1b4b91a3 : Marvell 88SE9128 found on motherboards

# 11030620 : HPT RocketRAID 620

# 11030622 : HPT RocketRAID 622

# 11030640 : Marvell 88SE9128 on HPT RocketRAID 640

# 11030641 : HPT RocketRAID 640L

# 11030645 : HPT RocketRAID 644L

# 1b210612 : ASMedia ASM1061 (Syba SY-PEX40039)

If you come across an AHCI adapter that is not listed, send me a PM and I'll add it to the script.

To use this, store it on your flash drive (I put it in /boot/config) and add it to your go script before emhttp is started.  Then REBOOT.

Sample /boot/config/go script:

/boot/config/enable_ahci.sh

# Start the Management Utility
/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &
For versions 6.8.0 and later, you will need to add this instead:

bash /boot/config/enable_ahci.sh

This script will work on any recent version of unRAID (4.7 and later) and possibly older versions (untested)

enable_ahci.zip

Edited by elkay14
  • 6 months later...

I'm new to all this and trying to learn.  I downloaded the script that is suggested and transfered the file to my config file on my flash.  Nothing.  I know I'm doing something wrong.  I guess what I need to know, as a  newbie is:  How do you add script to the lines that you suggest?  DO I add everything that is on the file after I unzip?  Or do I only take a portion?

Thank you for your patience! :)

Hi Elkay

Instead of venting I guess I should've told you what I was trying to do......I've a rocketraid 2720sgl pci-e 2.0 that is attaches 4 WD 3TB red drives via mini-sas to sata.  I can't see them when I boot my server up.

Before buying, I went to this link: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=10991.msg104436#msg104436

I thought by reading that I should be safe since the Marvell 88SE9485 is an update from previous Marvell controller chips on rocketraids.  But, no dice.  I'm running unRAID 5.0-rc8a  since I'm running 3TB drives and I thought that most, if not all the marvell read issues had been fixed.  Guess not.

I have vi script editor but never having run script not sure what to do.  PLUS, in looking at your script, I don't think marvell 88se9485 is in there for any controller.  Any help you can provide to get me moving in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

... I've a rocketraid 2720sgl pci-e 2.0 that is attaches 4 WD 3TB red drives via mini-sas to sata.  I can't see them when I boot my server up.

You need to add the proper identifier that matches your controller to the script. Do this by amending the PCI_IDS= string to include your new identifier.

Your identifier should be one of:

1. 1b4b9485

2. 11ab9485

3. 11032720

Try them, one at a time (separate trials), in the order of preference above. The first one that results in you "seeing" your drives will (probably) work best [in the unRAID scenario].

Good luck.

Well, I pulled up the enable_ahci file, edited it for all 3 identifiers, one at a time, in the string.  No dice.  I put the file in my config subfolder first, and then the root when that didn't work for each time I edited the file.  No dice.  I know I must be doing something wrong, just not experienced enough to know

I did find the "GO" script.  Question is: do I cut and paste script like Elkay has it (only difference is I have config folder without the boot) as my current script looks like this:

#!/bin/bash

#

# Start the Management Utility

/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

/boot/unmenu/uu

/boot/unmenu/uu

AAAARRRGGG.....I edited the go script to mirror Elkay's.....my go script is in the config folder.  I also put the enable_ahci.sh into my config folder.  I keep getting the following that is preventing me from moving forward:

/var/tmp/go: line 1 /config/enable_ahci.sh: No such file or directory

I say again....AAARRRRGGGG :)

AAAARRRGGG.....I edited the go script to mirror Elkay's.....my go script is in the config folder.  I also put the enable_ahci.sh into my config folder.  I keep getting the following that is preventing me from moving forward:

/var/tmp/go: line 1 /config/enable_ahci.sh: No such file or directory

I say again....AAARRRRGGGG :)

You did put the line:

/boot/config/enable_ahci.sh

into your go script (with the /boot on the front)?

If so, then check carefully for spelling mistakes, incorrect upper/lower case in script and/or file name.

Thanks to PeterB for reminding me to proof read.  turns out I had a space between the / and boot that I missed.

Now, using UhClem's ID's, the third one he gave me actually enabled the AHCI on PCI message.  That's the good news, I now know my card is being seeing...

Bad news, I still can't see my new drives.  I tried typing:  "cd /boot" and then "preclear_disk.sh -l" from the server.  Nada.  Went to the GUI and nothing.  Seems that I'm making some progress but now need to find drives to preclear and prep for data.

Thanks again to all of you.  You've gotten me this far!

As much trouble as I'm having with the rocketraid 2720, I was wondering, would it just be easier to get 2 of the Rocket 640L HBA's and go with HBA cards instead?  From what I'm seeing on some other questions, it appears most folks go with an HBA and don't seem to be having the issues I'm having.  Anyone with thoughts on this as I'm getting really frustrated that I have 5 new 3TB drives and can't seem to get them up and visible

Thanks again

I have a RocketRaid 620 in my server.  I seem to remember having some problems getting the drives recognised by unRAID when I first installed it.

It seemed to me that HighPoint don't offer a simple JBOD mode on their RAID cards but that I had to change some settings in the card's bios and then go through a disk initialisation procedure - I don't think it actually wrote anything to the disks, because I have since swapped drives around, without problems.

That would explain some of the problems if it is the cards bios.  Problem is, when I boot, it goes to the cards BIOS but would let me do anything.  It tells me I don't have a device.  This is really, really frustrating.  You'd think in the era of plug and play where windows and linux are recognized that this wouldn't be an issue.    Well, now I guess I need to figure out how to get to the bios on boot up.

Thanks PeterB

That's what I'm thinking.....I think moving to a more common card is the option.

Possibly ... but I assure you that the RocketRaid 620 can be made to work.  I'm guessing that the problem you are experiencing with the 2720 may be the same as I encountered.

Give me a while - I'll try going back into the RocketRaid bios and see whether I can refresh my memory (which isn't quite as good as it was in my younger years - it's my 59th birthday next month).

PeterB...you're not going to believe this, but I got it to work.  First I flashed the bios for the card again.  Then I shut down, move the card to my secondary pci-e slot.  Booted, powered down, moved the card back to the primary pci-e slot, hooked up the drives, and VIOLA....it all came on and I'm preclearing my disk as we speak.  Don't know what I did but thanks for getting me far enough to back into getting it to work.  Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good! :)

• 4 weeks later...