[SOLVED] reiserfsck --rebuild-tree advice needed

Fixing to do some changes/work on my unRaid later this week/weekend.

Ran Parity Check (nocorrect) and found many many errors.

Ran Smartctl reports on drives, they were all good.

Ran reiserfsck --check

Got the following. Per http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Check_Disk_Filesystems just checking in for confirmation/advice before performing the task.

========================================================================================

reiserfsck --check started at Mon May  7 08:35:43 2012

###########

Replaying journal: Done.

Reiserfs journal '/dev/md11' in blocks [18..8211]: 0 transactions replayed

Checking internal tree.. \/  6 (of  18\/158 (of 169//114 (of 170\block 173159145: The lev        el of the node (0) is not correct, (1) expected

the problem in the internal node occured (1731591/  7 (of  18|/126 (of 170\/ 88 (of 170\        block 153403222: The level of the node (0) is not correct, (1) expected

the problem in the internal node occured (153403222), whole su/128 (of 170\/155 (of 170-        block 173533746: The level of the node (0) is not correct, (1) expected

the problem in the internal node occured (17353finished                                /

Comparing bitmaps..vpf-10640: The on-disk and the correct bitmaps differs.

Bad nodes were found, Semantic pass skipped

3 found corruptions can be fixed only when running with --rebuild-tree

###########

reiserfsck finished at Mon May  7 10:10:49 2012

###########

Thanks.  btw, any estimate/ball park figure on how long the rebuild-tree takes to run for a 2TB green drive?

Also, since SMB is down, none of the shares will be available.

Is there something I can do so that the files on the good disks would be available over the network?

Bottom line, would my wife be able to watch stuff on the non-rebuild-tree drives while the rebuild-tree is running?

any method to access the files on the good (mounted) drives from external devices while the rebuild-tree is running?

currently in the dog house for it going into "tv time" (haven't watched live tv in ages)

sure, type:

/root/samba start

and it should put up the SMB shares.

OK...guess I'm confused. I thought the reason you stopped SAMBA before the reiserfsck was because it needed to be stopped, could not run both together.

Or is it that you have to stop samba so you can umount the drive? and after that, you can start samba again without issue?

OK...guess I'm confused. I thought the reason you stopped SAMBA before the reiserfsck was because it needed to be stopped, could not run both together.

Or is it that you have to stop samba so you can umount the drive? and after that, you can start samba again without issue?

"B."

You stopped SAMBA so you can un-mount the drive.  Otherwise, it would have kept it busy and prevented you from un-mounting it.

Now that it is un-mounted and being proocessed by the reiserfack command, you can re-start SAMBA so it can share all the other drives.

(I feel your pain...  I did not realize how much we changed our habits and how much the server is missed when not available until I had it off-line one evening when my wife wanted to watch a movie...)

any method to access the files on the good (mounted) drives from external devices while the rebuild-tree is running?

currently in the dog house for it going into "tv time" (haven't watched live tv in ages)

sure, type:

/root/samba start

How do you type that when reiserfsck is running on the server and I can not telnet to the server?

sure, type:

/root/samba start

How do you type that when reiserfsck is running on the server and I can not telnet to the server?

Yes, the current session is running the file-system-check.

Simply start ANOTHER telnet session. (by default, you can have as many as 8 sessions open)

Or, use the system console... (any of the 6 virtual-consoles)  ALT-F1 through ALT-F6 will choose the one you wish to access.

Joe L.

Archived