• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

when any new RC version ? or final ?

This! I want to re-install my server, but would like to wait if the final or a new RC is around the corner...

That is kind of the joke around here right now.  It's been around the corner for a couple of years now while kernal errors are being fixed, etc...

Is there a timeline? I am building an unraid system but I have 3TB drives to I can't use 4.7 and I really wanted a stable version.

Or what would be the most stable version I could use that would handle 3TB drives?

Is there a timeline? I am building an unraid system but I have 3TB drives to I can't use 4.7 and I really wanted a stable version.

Or what would be the most stable version I could use that would handle 3TB drives?

I'm using several different versions rc4, rc10 and rc15a.  Until the next RC comes out or 5.0 final "Which should be soon" based on other posts I would recommend rc12a right now rc15a has a bug that makes me want to roll back to rc12a I just haven't yet because I've been expecting the next RC to be released.  It has been tested in private beta and removes the problems with rc15a and earlier RC's but keeps everything else.
  • 1 month later...

I'm using several different versions rc4, rc10 and rc15a.  Until the next RC comes out or 5.0 final "Which should be soon" based on other posts I would recommend rc12a right now rc15a has a bug that makes me want to roll back to rc12a I just haven't yet because I've been expecting the next RC to be released.  It has been tested in private beta and removes the problems with rc15a and earlier RC's but keeps everything else.

I'm in a similar position to njm5785.  Trying hard to be patient but I'm kicking myself for jumping on a sale on >2TB HDDs and some new hardware to build a new server for 5.0 a couple months back as there seemed to be indications "final" would be out soon.  The stuff has just been sitting there letting the return periods expire and warranties age, though at least I've had plenty of time to run the preclear script several times on the drives.  My own fault for "jumping the gun" I guess.

Anyways, I know of course there can't be a "timeline" for 5.0 final but I'd rather not wait weeks or months more for the "rubber stamp" if the RC is getting close enough.  There seems to be a lot of talk that the distinction between "RC" and "final" is getting very fine these days - maybe fine enough not to care about if you only want to run the stock build and don't care about the GUI or plugins.  Example post hereIf so, as of today is 16c the most data-reliable release to run?  How serious is the Modified Time not being set properly issue?  Are there any other issues that could be a concern for data reliability?

As a side note, I took a look through Tom's post history.  Despite the impression that things keep getting added to the 5.0 release causing it to be delayed (some of which may be happening with the GUI/plugin stuff, I don't know) I actually saw where time and time again he wrote things like "yes that would be nice but will be post-5.0" "I can't delay the release for that" "I know you guys are anxious for 5.0" etc etc.  So that's nice to see he's trying to be very careful about "scope creep" to get 5.0 out as soon as possible.  There had also been pretty good communication for awhile, but lately it slowed down a lot.  As of yesterday Tom #2 (Harmser) hadn't posted anything related to the schedule or Tom's status since June 4th and Tom hadn't since August 8th.  I think garycase said it well:

Thanks for the update Tom => an occasional status post ... even just a one-liner like that ... is all we need to hear  :)

I'd much rather you take the time necessary to be confident in the release than to simply release it because everyone wants a "final" v5 !!

Thanks for your help!

There's no reason to let a bunch of > 2TB drives sit around unused.    Go ahead and build your new server using RC16c ... it's very stable; and the biggest issues with it are related to various plugins that haven't yet been updated for v5 (and likely won't be until v5.0 is finally released).

There's no reason to let a bunch of > 2TB drives sit around unused.    Go ahead and build your new server using RC16c ... it's very stable; and the biggest issues with it are related to various plugins that haven't yet been updated for v5 (and likely won't be until v5.0 is finally released).

Thanks much garycase!  So just to be sure I understand, in your opinion the modified time issue shouldn't be much of a big deal for someone looking to run the stock build at home with relatively simple configuration (a few multi-disk shares and two users besides root)?

Thanks again for the advice and now for humoring my double-check!

I've got an RC16c system running very nicely with 6 3TB WD Reds (15TB of protected storage);  and recently built one for someone else using 5 4TB Seagates (16TB of protected storage) ... both are running perfectly.

I wouldn't run any add-ons except UnMenu until final is released and the various add-ons are updated for v5;  but as a basic NAS running stock UnRAID [i also installed UnMenu to get UPS support] it works just fine.

I've got an RC16c system running very nicely .... wouldn't run any add-ons except UnMenu until final is released and the various add-ons are updated for v5;  but as a basic NAS running stock UnRAID [i also installed UnMenu to get UPS support] it works just fine.

Thanks for confirming!  Sounds great and I'm excited to get my build going the first chance I get!  Have a good one.