New Unraid user need an approval for a new build.

Dear All,

I am a long time reader and a fresh registered member.

I would like to build my first Unraid server. Currently I am using an Ubuntu server system serving my multimedia drives and sharing via Samba to my 3 XBMC machines and hosting some aplications like Transmission, CCcam, Oscam (last two are applications for satelite cardsharing to my home satelite receivers) and Apache. As I plan finally to retire my old server I came to a conclusion that unRAID is the system I need mainly because of its core features and additionally because I can run my special cardsharing software without any problems.

I would like to share with you my idea, and would appreciate any comments and suggestions:

1. Motherboard: My idea is to get a board with 6 SATA controlers, relatively cheap and with an option for a future expand with additional SATA ports cards. Having the above I decided to get this board: MSI P67S-C43 There is a built in 8111e controller which was reported as a problematic one but I plan to use unRAID v.5 where the issues with the above- mentioned controller are solved.

2. CPU: As i dont plan to run CoachPotato or any other automatic download applications I dont think I will need a beast CPU, so I thought that a Pentium® G620 Dual Core (2.6GHz, 3MB L3, 850MHz GPU, LGA1155) BOX will suit me fine.

3. RAM:  Because of the above same reason I plan to use 4gb memory. Later If I start to experience a lack of memory I can always add additional 4gb or completely upgrade the old one with 2x4 or 2x8.

4. PSU: Corsair Builder Series CX430 V2 430W PSU 80+. I saw this unit in the recommended hardware for small servers.

5. HDD: Currently I have 2 WD EARS HDD each of them holding 1tb of movies and a small 2,5" 500gb HDD for my WAV files. I am planning to buy 2 WD Green WD20EARX 2TB HDD 3.5" (64MB Cache, IntelliPower, SATA 6 Gb/s) drives for parity and data. After building the system I will transfer the data from my old 1tb HDDs, to the new data drive, will perform recommended tests for them and will put them in the array. Do you think EARX drives are a good choice? I know it is always better to have highest possible class drives when it comes to a data storage but recently the price of the drives are high and this is the most affordable option. For cache drive I have another 2,5" 500 gb spare HDD. The question here is do you think I need this cache drive? Recently I don't experience any lag in playing my BR content over the gb wired network I have....so the question is what additionally the cache drive will give me?

5. CASE: I have already bought a Fractal Design Case Define R3 Titanium Grey.

6. Unraid License: So for 1 parity, 4 data and 1 cache drives I understand I will need a Plus license which i will buy once I build the system.

That's all for the time being. Thank you in advance for every comment and suggestion.

Best regards.

Alexandro.

While I was hunting for the best prices of the chosen components I found THIS board:

It has 8 sata ports and looks like a better option compared to the MSI board and it is cheaper.

Do you think it is better then the MSI one and the most important will it work for unraid?

Thanks in advance.

While I was hunting for the best prices of the chosen components I found THIS board:

It has 8 sata ports and looks like a better option compared to the MSI board and it is cheaper.

Do you think it is better then the MSI one and the most important will it work for unraid?

Thanks in advance.

I don't know if the B75 chipset is supported. Also don't know if the 2 additional SATA-port on the ASmedia chip will work in unraid. Better be careful and investigate further.

Thank you dikkiedirk,

It seems this board is a bit new and is still not poppular among the unraid users.

I will investigate further as you suggested before hitting the "buy" button.

Better be save than sorry. Not everyting from Intel works in unraid. A bit older, not ancient, is ok. And that ASMedia chip seems a bit odd.

Good luck hunting!

Hello again,

I have revised the hardware which I show in my first post. The main reason was to decrease the total amount.

I have ordered and already received the CPU, Motherboard and the memory.

1. Celeron® Dual Core G530 (2.4GHz, 2MB, 850MHz GPU, LGA1155) BOX

2. Asus P8H61-M LE/USB3, H61, LGA1155, DDR3, PCI-E, DVI, SB7.1, Lan1000, 2xUSB3.0, uATX

3. Corsair Value 4GB DDR3-1333 Ram Dimm

Just ordered Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 8 ports SAS 2.0 JBOD.

Once I put everything in working condition I will show additional pictures of the server.

Here are the parts I have just received:

photo2.jpg.a6e285ed65c66b89f28b47d62addf1d5.jpg

Yep, "Let the games begin" :)

I just installed unraid (The latest V5 RC3) and played a bit with the unmenu.

I don't have plans to use many demanding plugins. My idea is to use it as a fileserver (still dont have the HDDs) and to install some cardserver software for my satelite tv hobby.

I noticed some bugs...well probably I don't do something right but the plugins does not start automatically after i reboot the server, never-mind the fact I install them with such option via the unmenu. I have to re-enable them in order to work again after the restart. SSh for an example.

Next week I am expecting to have the new 2tb HDDs and then the real games will begin :)

• 2 weeks later...

Alexandro,

can you please share the shop where you ordered the Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 card?

I'm planning a small server myself and from the links that you posted I think we both live in the same country so I'll be glad if you can share some info.

Alexandro,

thanks for the info.

I just noticed that you've order the SAS2LP version which is different from the SASLP version that is in the recommended controllers list.

Did you get the card? Is it supported by unRAID?

And most importantly do you or anybody else know if the SAS2LP card will work in a PCI-e 16x physical and 4x logical slot?

Yes, I have the card but haven't tested it yet as I still don't have the new HDDs. Once I buy them I will do the tests.

Hmmm...I hope i didn't bought the wrong controller.

EDIT:

It seems to be supported:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=19819.msg176671#msg176671

Another confirmation:

The difference is SAS1 vs SAS2 standards.. the biggest is 3GB/s (On PCIe 4x) Vs 6GB/s (on PCIe 8x)

The SAS1 is fine for unraid.

HOWEVER, the SAS1 card is over-saturated when all drives are transferring data after about the 6th drive. Therefor slowing down things like parity checks and rebuilds.

The extra time however is  not a huge amount and still a solid card for unraid. As you might have noticed the SAS1 works in all supported version of unRAID with the exception of beta12/12a. while the SAS2 is only working only in the latest betas.