Any changes or recommendations?

drecain

Hello everyone, this is my shopping list and I was wondering if you guys can give me a grade on my prospective build please...

Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Black Steel ATX Full Tower Unbeatable Gaming Case

Model #:Twelve Hundred V3

Item #:N82E16811129100

ASRock A55M-HVS FM1 AMD A55 (Hudson D2) HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Model #:A55M-HVS

Item #:N82E16813157277

NORCO SS-500 5-Bay SATA / SAS Hot Swap Rack Module

Model #:SS-500

Item #:N82E16816133030

CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Model #:CMPSU-600CXV2

Item #:N82E16817139028

AMD Sempron 145 Sargas 2.8GHz Socket AM3 45W Single-Core Desktop Processor SDX145HBGMBOX

Model #:SDX145HBGMBOX

Item #:N82E16819103888

Kingston DataTraveler 101 Gen 2 4GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive (Cyan) Model DT101G2/4GBZ

Model #:DT101G2/4GBZ

Item #:N82E16820139245

Rendition by Crucial 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model RM12864AA800

Model #:RM12864AA800

Item #:N82E16820148239

Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 3TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Model #:ST3000DM001

It looks like a solid build using proven components.

Not sure what you'll be doing with the server, but if your doing any downloading/extracting, I'd look at possibly upgrading to 2GB ram. 1 GB is more than enough for a file server, but once you start adding other operations, it can become a bottleneck.

Finally somebody helping a brother out! LOL

Yes i will be using it just as a server for my Plex setup for movies and music. I do plan to do about 4gb of RAM as well.

I got my Antec 1200 this weekend now im just staring at it scared to make my next move LOL dont know what to buy next, want to make sure i get the right parts.

If you'll be running plex it might be a good idea to go with a dual-core cpu. Transcoding is a very CPU heavy process, and while the sempron might be able to handle it, it would probably be good to have the extra over-head just in case. The Athlon II X2 3.0Ghz is only $13 more on newegg, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103904

DOH! Just looked back over your shopping list, didn't notice the first time around, that Motherboard is a FM1 socket and the CPU you chose(Sempron) is AM3. The FM1 is for the cpu/gpu on one die, the a4/a6/a8 series. As far as I can tell, FM1 is NOT backwards compatible to AM3. You'll either need to go with a different MB, or a different CPU.

That MB also has the Realtek 8111E NIC, which has been problematic in the past. It seems to be fixed in the later 5beta builds from various reports. You could do a little forum searching and see if you can find anything out about that.

Apparently when I looked over your list I skipped the Motherboard in general. Shame on me,  :(

The Asrock 880GM-LE supports AM3 and all other specifications are right in line with the one you had picked out. And its only $5 more

WOW ok so just to be sure;

what are you motherboard, CPU recommendations please? Im going to need at least 4gb ram space and i want to have 6 sata slots (at least thats what ive been told). im going to eventually fill up that antec 1200 with 20 hard drives.

thanks for help, seriously.

• 1 month later...

You can, its really a matter of preference. If you can get the cages now I would go ahead and install them and run the cabling so as you upgrade and add drives all you have to do is slide the drive in, stops from having to muck in the wiring and potentially knocking a wire loose and having to troubleshoot problems to figure it out down the road.

Sent from my HTC Vivid

You can, its really a matter of preference. If you can get the cages now I would go ahead and install them and run the cabling so as you upgrade and add drives all you have to do is slide the drive in, stops from having to muck in the wiring and potentially knocking a wire loose and having to troubleshoot problems to figure it out down the road.

+1

Just for reference FM1 & AM3 are not forwards/backwards compatible at all. If you plan on transcoding, an FM1 might offer a little more performance but is otherwise a waste of power and $.

Have you purchased any parts yet?