High Point Rocket 640L

27 minutes ago, N1ckeh said:

Hi,

Ive just installed a Rocket 640L and two new Toshiba x300 4TB with one old Toshiba x300 4TB. The old one seems to be ok but the new ones are throwing some issues.

Lots of write errors etc. I cant use the onboard Sata controller as it only supports 2TB max, hence the purchase of the 640L.

The drives are detected and setup of array is fine but shortly after it will start to fall over.

Do i need to run this script?

Ive attached my logs.

Thanks,

N1ckeh

nt3ch-unraid-diagnostics-20180324-1656.zip

So after reading the rest of the posts i am filled with sadness, looks like i will be returning this product.

At least 3 people here post very similar issues and instability. (I did pick this product because of the price and being listed on the hardware list as working ?!!)

Can any one recommend a cheap 4 port sata3 PCIe card?

Thanks,

Nick

I believe you will find that this card uses a Marvell chip.  These chips have been very problematic in the past couple of years with unRAID.  There have been many instances where the controller fails to function correctly and it is an intermittent situation. And, to further complicate the situation, they work fine for other folks.   Apparently, it is a flaw in the firmware that is on the card.  Marvell has never seen  fit to update the firmware.  So the general recommendation is to avoid the use of any SATA card that uses a Marvell chip.  

Today, the recommendation is to use cards with the LSI chip set.  These are available from several sources at very reasonable prices (check E-Bay for example).  In this post is a partial list of the usable cards:

https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/69018-sata-controller-replacement-question-and-advice/?tab=comments#comment-630097

EDIT:  Here is thread which describes what the issues are:

Edited by Frank1940