New User, Help with S3 Sleep

Hi, new user and first post, so be gentle.

I just built my first unRAID server (using latest version) and everything is running fine, i've also installed unMENU and the powerdown script and they also are running fine.HDD's have been precleared, formatted and user shares set up.....so far so good.

My mobo (Asus M5A78L-M LX V2) supports S3/WOL and i've configured the bios accordingly (i hope).

Now, i'd like to send my server to sleep when not in use, ie, overnight and when i'm out at work during the day.I've read the various threads/how to's and my head is now spinning as i can't get it to work  :-[

When i type the command :

root@Tower:~# root@Tower:~# echo 3 >/proc/acpi/sleep

I get this :

-bash: /proc/acpi/sleep: No such file or directory

root@Tower:~#

Also i notice that in the "user scripts" tab of unMENU there's a button for putting your server to sleep but it has /proc/acpi/sleep: No such file or directory on it.

I'm assuming that there's a script missing/not installed, so if someone could help a unRAID/Linux noob out i'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks 

HI,

Thanks for the reply's and yes i'm using 5.0-rc3 basic.

I've installed simple features and the S3 sleep button sends my server to sleep without any probs, but it won't wake back up again via the wol magic packet batch file posted on these forum's.

It will wake up however if i press the power button and normal sevices are resumed.

I have noticed that the lights on my lan port are inactive whilst sleeping, shouldn't they be active (waiting for wol signal) ?

Also, do i need to configure the sleep script to enable this ?, if so, how do i go about it ?

Thanks again 

Thanks for the reply

My bios settings are :

Suspend mode : S3 only

ACPI 2.0 : Enabled

ACPI APIC : Enabled

AMP Config

Restore on ac power loss : last state

Power on from S5 by PME# : enabled

Power on frpm S5 ring : enabled

Also...Onboard Lan boot rom : Enabled

Are these settings correct as it still doesn't work ? and the lan port lights are still off.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply

My bios settings are :

Suspend mode : S3 only

ACPI 2.0 : Enabled

ACPI APIC : Enabled

AMP Config

Restore on ac power loss : last state

Power on from S5 by PME# : enabled

Power on frpm S5 ring : enabled

Also...Onboard Lan boot rom : Enabled

Are these settings correct as it still doesn't work ? and the lan port lights are still off.

Thanks

My SuperMicro motherboard has never been able to be woken up either.  It too has no LAN lights when put to sleep.

(indicating to me that it is not listening for a WOL message)

The functionality of Wake On LAN is hardware related, the script can't really change that.

You may want to try to set the option "g" in the "Set WOL options before sleep" field and see if that makes a difference.

Not sure who you were addressing that to... but the command to check is

ethtool eth0

and in my case, the "g" option is already set.

Joe L.

root@Tower2:~# ethtool eth0

Settings for eth0:

Supported ports: [ TP MII ]

Supported link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full

100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full

1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full

Supports auto-negotiation: Yes

Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full

Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only

Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes

Link partner advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full

Link partner advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only

Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes

Speed: 1000Mb/s

Duplex: Full

Port: MII

PHYAD: 0

Transceiver: internal

Auto-negotiation: on

Supports Wake-on: pumbg

Wake-on: g

Current message level: 0x00000033 (51)

Link detected: yes

Hi,

I'm also a new user posting for the first time and just happen to have exactly the same setup with the same issue.

The only other thing I tried was to upgrade the BIOS to the latest version to no avail.

The next step I was intending to try when I get a chance tonight is to boot into windows and test to see whether that works.  Is this worthwhile or does anyone have any other suggestions?  If not I will post my results later......

Also excellent forum! Product, community and information available has made the whole experience very enjoyable, I will be upgrading to the Pro version!

Chris

Joe L.

root@Tower2:~# ethtool eth0

Settings for eth0:

Supported ports: [ TP MII ]

Supported link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full

Supports auto-negotiation: Yes

Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full

Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only

Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes

Link partner advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full

Link partner advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only

Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes

Speed: 1000Mb/s

Duplex: Full

Port: MII

PHYAD: 0

Transceiver: internal

Auto-negotiation: on

Supports Wake-on: pumbg

Wake-on: g

Current message level: 0x00000033 (51)

Link detected: yes

I too get the same results when using the ethtool eth0 command.......I was also gonna try installing windows on a spare drive and see if WOL works under windows.

Other than that, as Chris says very happy with it so far!!, apart from this sleep nigle

Hi guys,

Quick update, I also get the same results from ethtool eth0.

Have given windows ago and no success, although it was a bit rushed last night.

I wonder whether there's an issue with the NIC being a Realtek 8111E so may go down the PCI Intel nic route.  Will update if I get any further.

Chris

Hi guys,

Quick update, I also get the same results from ethtool eth0.

Have given windows ago and no success, although it was a bit rushed last night.

I wonder whether there's an issue with the NIC being a Realtek 8111E so may go down the PCI Intel nic route.  Will update if I get any further.

Chris

Hi,

I never got a chance to try windows myself last night, but by the sounds of it it could be a driver issue with the realtek nic....there is a newer driver available (dated 13/3/2012) so it could be that.I will try to test over the weekend, but how you'd go about updating drivers in unraid (even if you could) is a closed book to me atm.

If you go down the intel nic route, let me know how you get on as i'm keen to get WOL working as i like the idea of sending the 'magic packet' from my HDX1000 to wake my server.

Cheers

Hi,

Finally made some progress and got wol working through an old Vista disk, but still no joy with un RAID.  At least this proves the hardware is working and capable of WOL.

I also found various references to others with WOL issues from another raid system forum which pointed towards drivers issues with the same Realtek nic.  Is there a way to install an updated driver?

Also came across s2ram, anyone know whether this could help?

Chris

No probs, will keep updating as I make any progress.

I believe the issue I had with that driver package was because it was compiled for an old kernel version, but I have no Linux experience at all so am guessing.  It looks like the r8168 is included from a previous version so hopefully won't mean compiling from scratch as I wouldn't know where to start.  If it is included I presume there's a way to force it's use, so if anyone could point me in the right direction I'll give it a go!?

Thanks,

Chris

Ok I'm going to have a go at compiling the driver myself using the virtualbox guide in the wiki....

Would someone please answer whether I need the exact same kernel version 3.0.31 and if so where I might find it as the archives don't have this specific version?

Thanks,

Chris

Cool, good to see it works, just grabbed a new one for 8 quid on ebay myself  8)

I take it you don't have any stuttering video probs with it being pci as apposed to pci-e, it's just that i had a few probs with stuttering 1080p video using a pci sata card rather than a pci-e one, but i suppose Gigabit is Gigabit regardless of the interface ??

Anyway, looking forward to the card arriving now as waking up my server from my HDX 1000 media player will be the icing on the cake for me, just need to setup the server to go to sleep after a hour or two of inactivity now lol.

Cheers

EDIT:

Doh, just noticed the settings i require are in the 'Simple Features' settings page, solves that problem  8)