SAMSUNG 750GB SATA OEM -- $109 Free Shipping at NewEgg

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

$0.14 per GB is pretty spiffy ...  ;D

Make sure you use the promo code to get $10 off: EMCAFBDAC

Just ordered mine!  8)

Model

Brand SAMSUNG

Series Spinpoint F1

Model HD753LJ

Performance

Interface SATA 3.0Gb/s

Capacity 750GB

RPM 7200 RPM

Cache 32MB

Average Seek Time 8.9ms

Average Latency 4.17ms

Physical Spec

Form Factor 3.5"

Features

Features SATA Native Command Queuing Feature set

Enable / Disable Staggered Spin-up

Hot-Plug and Presence Detect

Device Initiated Power Management

Asynchronous Notification

PMR technology

FOD(Flying On Demand) technology

NoiseGuard

SilentSeek

Just got a couple of 1TB Spinpoints and I have to say whilst they look a bit cheap (or put anotehr way Industrial) they are quiet, spin up down perfectly and WAY WAY cooler than my WD drives (were talking easily 5-10 deg C cooler)

I can only compare:

WDC AAKS, WDC WD5000YS-01M and SAMSUNG HD103UJ at this precise moment as I am pulling drives like mad to solve this issue i have with crashing.

But my 1TB spinpoints are 35 deg this now and the WD 500GB are about 43 deg. Plus I am hammering the Samsungs like mad and the WD are basically just idling. Same chassis similar layout.

I so so wish unRAID kept stats like this to take the guess work and user interpretation out of things :(

I had very bad luck with these drives on my Athalon XP system with 2 promise TX4s. They would bring down the array just about every time there were multiple read/writes. Note that this would still happen even if they were plugged into my Mainboard SATA controller (standard Sil3114). I RMA'd the drives with NewEgg (who took them back without a restocking fee) and replaced them with WD7500AACSes. No issues since then.

Just one user's experience- and it was probably an issue with my particular config. Thought I should warn folks though.

Thanks for the heads up. I just ordered one, giving me 3 of the Samsung's. They definitely run cooler than my WD or Hitachi drives I currently have in my array. I've had 2 of the Samsung 750's for about 2 months running 24/7 w/o any issues. I had to RMA my 750 Seagate FreeeAgent Pro eSata drive I used for Parity due to sector failure issues however. I've had 3 drives fail on me in 25 years, all Seagates.

Thanks for the heads up. I just ordered one, giving me 3 of the Samsung's. They definitely run cooler than my WD or Hitachi drives I currently have in my array. I've had 2 of the Samsung 750's for about 2 months running 24/7 w/o any issues. I had to RMA my 750 Seagate FreeeAgent Pro eSata drive I used for Parity due to sector failure issues however. I've had 3 drives fail on me in 25 years, all Seagates.

I stay away from all drives that get squeezed into form fitting external cases without fans.  They are a failure waiting to happen IMO.  If I find them at a great price, I crack them open and harvest the drive inside.

Everyone has brand preferences and anecdotal stories about drive failures. I (personally) have had the most problems with WD - lost about 5 over the years - 3 recently (between 3 and 5 years old - Seagate would have replaced under warranty, but WD warranty expired).  I've had lots of Seagates and Maxtors and never had a problem with either brand.

I've had 8 Maxtor drives (250G/300G) running is the worst possible environment - TIVO boxes.  These are hot little sweatshops.  I opened one TIVO box to fix a noisy internal fan and found out that the fan housing had litterally melted and distorted to the point that the propeller was hitting the casing and cutting a groove.  That's hot!  The drives continued to work great.  Since Maxtor was bought by Seagate I have no experience with them.  I did break the SATA connector on the back of a 500G Maxtor.  It was a pain to fix.  Since then I am extremely careful with these flimsy connectors!