Please add pvscsi in the kernel - may wait 5.1

Well it turns out I didn't give myself enough credit!  I started wondering if this was a VMware issue rather than unRAID based on gfjardim's response - as mentioned, the UUID of the disk wasn't being presented to unRAID properly.  Then, I found the solution!

- Shut down your unRAID VM

- Edit the Properties of the VM

- Go to the Options tab, Advanced, highlight General and click on 'Configuration Parameters'

- Click 'Add Row' and type the following:

disk.EnableUUID

with a value of:

TRUE

Start up your VM and now all the scsi vmdk's have UUID's assigned and can be added to the array!  Time to repurpose the SSD I had RDM'ed for cache and move cache to a VMDK on my ZFS pool.  Winner!

EDIT:  In my excitement, I forgot to give credit where credit is due - I found the information in the following blog post.. while the poster wasn't experiencing exactly our issue, it made sense that enabling the option may fix it for us too.

http://diznix.com/2011/05/21/the-case-of-vmware-and-the-missing-scsi-id/

Wow awesome investigative work guys!!! Someone should ping Johnm with this info so he can add it to his instructions for people who may be interested in this option.

Anyone try a speed test from another guest OS with both using vmxnet3? Curious what the speeds are like.

I am getting ~160MB/s (peaks at about 230MB/s) to a .vmdk cache drive on my ZFS array from an ubuntu VM.

Excellent! Time to buy another M1015 to set up a ZFS array haha

Now this big questions is: OpenIndiana/Napp-it or FreeNAS? Hmm...

I am getting ~160MB/s (peaks at about 230MB/s) to a .vmdk cache drive on my ZFS array from an ubuntu VM.

What about openfiler? Does anyone use that?

What about openfiler? Does anyone use that?

As far as I can tell OpenFiler doesn't support ZFS. It's Linux based. There are hacks to get ZFS to work in Linux but I'd rather not go that route.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Just did a test copy with the .vmdk in place as cache.. easily saturated the gigabit interface on the source PC (Win8) with 1Gb file transfer:

eqNnyAX.jpg

I did the same setup with disk.EnableUUID is to TRUE.

I am only getting 60-70MB/sec on the cache disk. Any idea how to improve the speed?

It is SATA disk.

• 1 year later...

Well it turns out I didn't give myself enough credit!  I started wondering if this was a VMware issue rather than unRAID based on gfjardim's response - as mentioned, the UUID of the disk wasn't being presented to unRAID properly.  Then, I found the solution!

- Shut down your unRAID VM

- Edit the Properties of the VM

- Go to the Options tab, Advanced, highlight General and click on 'Configuration Parameters'

- Click 'Add Row' and type the following:

disk.EnableUUID

with a value of:

TRUE

Start up your VM and now all the scsi vmdk's have UUID's assigned and can be added to the array!  Time to repurpose the SSD I had RDM'ed for cache and move cache to a VMDK on my ZFS pool.  Winner!

EDIT:  In my excitement, I forgot to give credit where credit is due - I found the information in the following blog post.. while the poster wasn't experiencing exactly our issue, it made sense that enabling the option may fix it for us too.

http://diznix.com/2011/05/21/the-case-of-vmware-and-the-missing-scsi-id/

I did NOT have this set.  I wonder if I did at one point and it got removed somehow.  I added it, but it doesn't seem to make a difference since I modified the SCSI adapter type.