New Build....LF suggestions

kaddy

Can't wait to get my server together  ;D, moving away from a WHS V1.

I'm going to use some old hardware with part of this setup if possible.  Old hardware I already own is Brown and new in Green.

Let me know if i should do anything different.  I'm probably going to be running a good chunk of the addins offered with unraid, ie SABnzbd, Sick Beard, Couch Potato and Transmission, Crash Plan at this point.

Motherboard: ASUS M3A78-EM (USED) http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=10530BD1650&vpn=M3A78-EM&manufacture=ASUS

MemoryG.SKILL F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK PC2-8500 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-1066 (USED) http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=15380BD6771&vpn=F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK&manufacture=G.SKILL

CPUAMD Athlon II X2 240 Dual Core Processor Socket AM3 2.8GHZ (USED) http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=10360BD0569&vpn=ADX240OCGQBOX&manufacture=AMD

CaseAntec P180 Mini (USED)  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129041

Flash Key16GB Kingston DataTraveler101 G2 (BUYING NEW) or Maybe an 8GB Kingston DataTraveler G1 (USED)

Raid Card:  Motherboard Sata ports for now...  Will probably order a card in a little bit.  Thinking of maybe getting 2 of the SATA2 Serial ATA II PCI-Express RAID Controller Card from Monoprice to work for now.

HDsCache Drive Crucial M4 256GB (BUYING NEW)  is this overkill?

Parity 2GB WD Green (USED)

3x750GB Seagate (USED)

1x500GB WDAAKS (USED)

1x2TB WD GREEN (BUYING NEW)

Other Equipment I could use if necessary:

- Asus P5K Motheboard

- Intel Q6600

- Mushkin XP PC2-8000 Redline 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-1000

- Corsair TX650W 650W ATX 12V 52A       

- Antec P183

- 74GB Raptor (really old)

Is that CPU and motherboard compatible - looks like the processor needs a AM3 board and you have a AM2+ board selected. Might be worth looking into the supported CPU list on the ASUS site.

Also even the 8GB flash drive is overkill, 2GB is more than enough...even with all the addins you plan to use.

I like the mini p180, it is a slick case.  Not ideal for unRAID since it forces you to use internally-mounted drives, but it will work well for now.  It might be something that you will want to replace down the road as you discover how much of a pain it is to swap internally mounted drives...

The used 8 GB flash drive should be fine, I wouldn't buy a new one.  If you do buy new, 16 GB is definitely overkill.  I like the 4 GB Verbatim ClipIts, and even on those drive about 3.9 GB remains free space.  unRAID isn't big.

The 256 GB SSD is most likely overkill.  If you want an SSD as a cache drive (which I think is a good idea), you need to consider how you'll be using that drive.  If you plan to run apps on it and possibly download to it, then a larger capacity may be useful.  If you plan to use it just to speed up transfers to your array, then it only needs to be as large as the amount of data that you are likely to transfer within a 24 hr period.  I expect that you'll do just as well with a 60 GB or 120 GB SSD and can save some money.  I would also consider the 74 GB Raptor drive as a cache drive as well.  Since you already have it, why not test it out for a while and then just upgrade if you find it to be too slow or too small?

You didn't mention what PSU you plan to use for the build, but the Corsair 650W that you have is a good choice.

Everything else looks fine to me.  Have fun!

Is that CPU and motherboard compatible - looks like the processor needs a AM3 board and you have a AM2+ board selected. Might be worth looking into the supported CPU list on the ASUS site.

Also even the 8GB flash drive is overkill, 2GB is more than enough...even with all the addins you plan to use.

AM3 processors are backwards compatible with AM2/AM2+ boards. You lose the functionality of the CPU's built-in memory controller, and use the one on the board instead.

Archived