Not impressed with 3Ware SFF-8087 Forward Breakout Cable

geekette

The SATA connectors don't have any metal clips AND they don't fit very snug over the male SATA connectors.  They feel loose and seem to be able to bump them pretty easy and lose connection.

I hope they are actually making a good connection as again they didn't go on tight.

Can anyone recommend another sff-8087 forward breakout cable that has metal clips and has a tighter fit?  I am thinking about RMA'ing this with Amazon.

I just ordered a couple of these, and I'm waiting for then to be delivered.  They have clips on both the SFF-8087 and the SATA connectors.

But, there are only a couple left.

Also LSI have these cables on sale, for $15 each, but I can't comment on how they are.

Cheers.

I just ordered a couple of these, and I'm waiting for then to be delivered.  They have clips on both the SFF-8087 and the SATA connectors.

That cable looks a bit different in that it has an extra non sata breakout connector, which kinda looks like some sort of power connector.  What is that?  Will that cable also work with the BR10i like the 3ware one does (without that connector).

What is the difference between forward and reverse breakout? Is it the SATA-connector? When I picked some up I just said that I needed a a cable with on one side a SFF-8087 for my M1015 and on the other side 4 SATA connectors that plug on my harddisks. Is that reverse breakout?

It could be either, but should be a forward breakout if the person knew what they were talking about.  Below is an example of both:

Forward = SAS on HBA (like a M1015/BR10i etc) to 4 SATA drives

Reverse = SAS on backplane (like in a Norco 4224) with 4x SATA on the other end to connect to 4x motherboard SATA ports for example

Yes they are wired differently and can't be interchanged.

Grab 'em from monoprice - http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10254&cs_id=1025406&p_id=8187&seq=1&format=2

While you can't see it in that photo, I have these ones and they have the metal clip on the end.  I'll take a photo with my phone in a few minutes and pop it up here.  They are also available in shorter length (0.5m) if required.

EDIT:

oaWEw.jpg

Sorry for deviating from the OP's question, but I wanted to know if that monoprice breakout cable will work for the SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8?

Sorry for deviating from the OP's question, but I wanted to know if that monoprice breakout cable will work for the SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8?

Yup.  Using these with my Supermicro

0.5m 30AWG Internal Mini SAS 36pin (SFF-8087) Male w/ Latch to SATA 7pin Female (x4) Forward Breakout Cable - Black

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10254&cs_id=1025406&p_id=8186&seq=1&format=2

(That's the .5 meter - they have other lengths too)

Archived