Seagate Barracuda 7200 3 TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache $157.99

I recently got one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expansion-Desktop-External-STAY3000102/dp/B0056YNA1Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338725367&sr=8-1

Popped open the case (without breaking any tabs) and there was a Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB 64MB Cache 7200RPM Serial-ATA 6.0Gbps drive inside.

Pretty sweet for the price.

I bought one of these and for life of me could not get it open without breaking any tabs. I went at it for hours being nice to it and still broke them.

Since I didn't break any tabs, I don't think I voided my warranty.  I followed these instructions exactly (including using the Stabucks coffee stopper) and it worked perfectly.

So like I said. Sweet deal.

The youtube video and the amazon product are different...

You linked to the Seagate Expansion in your Amazon link and the Seagate GoFlex Desk in your youtube video.

I'm assuming that the process works on either one. I was using a credit card on the Seagate Expansion 3TB and it did not work well. I'll give a Starbucks stopper a try next time.

I bought several of the Seagate Expansion 3TB from Amazon for $129 each and inside was a ST3000DM001 drive (retailing between $150-$168).  I had to break the tabs of the enclosure to get the drive out.

thegizzard, Is the ST3000DM001 drive what you found inside the 3TB GoFlex enclosure? 

I bought several of the Seagate Expansion 3TB from Amazon for $129 each and inside was a ST3000DM001 drive (retailing between $150-$168).  I had to break the tabs of the enclosure to get the drive out.

thegizzard, Is the ST3000DM001 drive what you found inside the 3TB GoFlex enclosure?

I have bought 4 of the Seagate Expansion 3T from amazon & 1 Seagate GoFlex from Best Buy, & they are all ST3000DM001. In the attached jpg Disk4 is the goflex.

-john

expansionsandgoflex.jpg.07ad55f3c3140f4657e41312d4d22f79.jpg