Upcoming forum change

Sometime today hopefully, I will be releasing 5.0-rc4.  This has fixes for NFS stale file handle issue, as well as fixes SMB permissions issues, plus a few other minor things.

Coincident with this release, I'm going to add further organization to the "Release Support" board.  In particular, I will be moving some posts from "unRaid OS 5.0-rc3" to some newly created boards:

System Hangs

Media Stuttering

Here is the reason.  In the case of "System Hangs", most of the posted syslogs are indicating problems with the "mvsas" disk driver.  This driver has been more or less problematic in linux for some time.  So what I want to do is create another release called 5.0-rc4-scst-1, which is exactly the same as 5.0-rc4, except that I'm replacing the "stock" mvsas driver from the kernel release with the mvsas driver from the linux SCST project.  This is to provide some feedback from those experiencing this issue to see if this new driver is any better, and to isolate the change.

In the case of "Media Stuttering", my theory about this is as follows.  Up until present, all unRaid linux kernels have been built with the "Preemption Model" being "No Forced Preemption".  This model provides for greater throughput at expense of increased latency.  So what I want to do is create another release called "5.0-rc4-preempt-1" which changes the Preemption Model to "Preemptible Kernel".  This is to provide feedback from those experiencing this issue to see if a preemptible kernel alleviates the issue, and to isolate the change.

In the process of moving posts, I may also create a couple other boards...  So you might notice your posts have been moved and there might be something in the body of the first post that says "modifed by limetech", but as always, this is only resulting from changing the message icon, or perhaps the message title - I never change any other person's actual message text.

When you say the "mvsas" driver, I'm assuming that's the driver needed to support cards like the Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8?  I didn't realize that card had problems.  I never had any issues prior to moving to these release candidates..  Now my server locks up regularly.  So I'll be one to try the SCST version as soon as you post it.  I can crash my server routinely.

Is there a way to see old logs?  All the SYSLOGs reset when the server is reset.  I'd like to confirm that my crashes are as a result of the MVSAS driver.

Thanks

Mike

When you say the "mvsas" driver, I'm assuming that's the driver needed to support cards like the Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8?  I didn't realize that card had problems.  I never had any issues prior to moving to these release candidates..  Now my server locks up regularly.  So I'll be one to try the SCST version as soon as you post it.  I can crash my server routinely.

Is there a way to see old logs?  All the SYSLOGs reset when the server is reset.  I'd like to confirm that my crashes are as a result of the MVSAS driver.

Thanks

Mike

Yes that's one of the cards.  The best way to capture the system log prior to a crash is to prepare for it ahead of time.  The best way to do this is to open a telnet window and type this command:

tail -f /var/log/syslog

This will display the last few lines of the system log and then display new lines as they occur.

I did what you said, and initiated a file copy and this was the last line that showed up before it crashed.

Jun  1 17:05:15 UNRAID kernel: r8169 0000:03:00.0: eth0: link up

(My motherboard is a Supermicro CS2EE - the motherboard that was originally recommended for unraid)

So I guess it's not my Supermicro card.

Mike