I can't recommend the SS-500

geekette

I bought one a week ago from Newegg.

When you install it you will invariably scratch up the sides of the unit because it is SOFT aluminum and they made it wide to be a very tight fit.

The unit I got has a bad LED in bay one.

Newegg is giving me hassles about returning it because of the scratches on the side of the unit. So this unit is not a good idea at all in my opinion.

All 5-in-3s are a tight fit and require you to flatten the tabs between the 5.25" bays. All of them can get scratches. The bad LED is also an issue I've seen plague other makes and models as well.  I still prefer the Norco SS-500 over the competition because I believe they have the best drive tray design.

I'm sorry to hear you are having these issues, and I do hope Newegg takes care of you. I've always had nothing but excellent customer service from them.

another solution.. not exacly the most ethical, but it proteccts you as a consumer..

have them ship you a new unit.

swap the board in the new unit with the defective board from the old unit. then send it back as defective...

I'm sure norco will swap it but it might take longer and cost more for freight.

Almost all cases will scratch the 5in3 units as they are tight shoves to get installed.

I really don't think that is unethical at all since the unit was just purchased less than 30 days ago, and there are no seals on the housing.  I could swap the housing and send back the defective unit with the shiny perfect housing.   

But I managed to finally work out somethign with newegg after speaking with a manager--she'll let me know tomorrow (Monday) for sure whether or not I can return it scratched.

Same exact thing with one of mine - I ordered two.  On one, the 4th bay activity light is wacky and doesn't operate like the rest.  I requested an RMA, but not sure if it's worth it now as it says I have to pay $11 to ship it back.  Curious to see how it works out with you.  Did you have to pay shipping back or is that something the manager at Newegg is looking into as well?

They approved the RMA and said they'd take it back with scratches on it.  (They require you take a picture of it and email them and wait for approval from another department.)  They supplied me with a prepaid return shipping label.  I am guessing they won't refund me the original shipping of $10--I'll find that out later.