LAST CALL on the Unraid Summer Sale! 😎 ⌛ ×

First unraid Build june 2012

couto27

Hi all

yes another threat about first unraid Build

Need to build a unraid (im sure you read this all the time)

What is your budget?

100€ to 500€ (without drives)

How many drives do you want your server to be able to support and how much capacity do you need?

6  (10tb to 15tb)

Is expandability important to you?

No, in 4 to 5years yes.

Are you interested in running any unRAID Add Ons (see here)?

No

Do you want to run green/low power drives or faster 7200 rpm drives?

Yes, green drives 5400 is fine.

Do you have any spare parts laying around that you would like to apply towards your build?

Yes, 2x 3Tb caviar green wd30ezrx Internal + 2 x 3Tb wd my book essencials external (green drives)

questions

1-I want the unraid to store my blu-rays movies 3d and 2d (ISO clone) uncompressed format about 50gb each (65 movies p/ 3TB)

2-The unraid must perform well in reading and streaming 50gb  each file, wired serving a micca ep950 media player and a htpc + xbmc (not at same time).

3- And to copy back new ripped files 50gb from htpc to unraid storage.

4- When i mean performance i expect constant 70 to 80 MBps for future proof ( i dont need that much to blu-ray but its better more than less).

5- is ddr3 important for cheaper memory and future proof

6- sata 6 gbps future proof

7- I'm using unraid 5.0 for 3TB

8- i just want to build the unraid, confi , test and forget that is there.

9- since i will only access to files when I'm watching a movie or listen music the hard drive degradation will be low (i hope)

10- i want avoid the sempron, but i think  a dual core or core 2 duo would be better, but I'm no expert.

since im in europe, im able to buy from amazon.uk And amazon.de

Hardware configuration (need advice)

Build 1 450€

case + psu 500w from the norco factory  123€

or

case + psu im open to sugestions

SUPERMICRO MBD-X8SIL-F-O 200€

intel -i3540   80€

memory-  25€- 40€

Build 2 350€

Case-Antec three hundread two 67€

Motherboard- Asrock 880GM-LE FX 65€

CPU -AMD  Phenom II X4 965 - 3.4 Ghz AM3

Black Edition 101€

Memory-kingston 2gb x 2gb 1333mhz 25€

PSU- corsair t550 550w 93€

Build 3 350€

( this is my htpc  except the case is a silverstone gd04 and psu is fan less 450w )

im open to sugestions ~100€

Asrock a75m itx fm1 75€

amd A-8 3850 2.9ghz 90€

memory - 25€ to 40€

I read about the cache and ssd and im open to use it on later date.

I read about the wd Green + WDIDL3.exe but since the unraid only spin the drives when im accessing the movie files, should be ok( i think).

I read also that is a gamble open a external drive due the usb controlar is built in the drive, i probably will sell 2 of them and buy a hitachi deskstar 5k3000 3TB to make my parity drive.

Im open to all suggestions

this is all new for me, but a recent mobo and stable for a couple years would be great.

Best regards

Couto27

Firsty, welcome to the Lime Tech forums and congratulations on choosing unRAID 8) Now, down to business..

Based on your suggestions I would recommend a build similar to the following:

unRAID Version: unRAID PLUS or PRO v5.0b8 or newer (5.0-RC3 is the latest)

CPU: Intel Core i3-2100 (only 65W and essentially the replacement for an i3-540)

Motherboard: SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCL+-F Micro ATX (or similar)

RAM: 1x 4GB DDR3-1333 (Corsair, Kingmax, Kingston)

Case: Antec 300 Two (although any case is fine)

Drive Cage(s): None required for this case

Power Supply: Corsair TX-550M or similar, see this thread

Do not get a generic power supply, you have been warned :)

SATA Expansion Card(s): None, motherboard supports 6 drives

Fans: Stock CPU fan is fine, add 2x 120mm low RPM intake fans

Parity Drive: 3TB Caviar Green

Data Drives: 3TB Caviar Green + 2x Mybook 3TB drives (if you decide to pull them apart)

Cache Drive: You will need a cache drive for 70MB/Sec+ writes although any modern drive should be fine. If you have an old single platter 500GB 7200rpm drive (most people do as they are very common), that would be perfect.

Total Drive Capacity: 9TB unformatted (probably ~8.15TB once it is formatted)

A core i3 is more than powerful enough for unRAID and offers the best temperature & power efficiency from each of the CPUs you are looking at. The Phenom II-965 is 140W and the A8-3850 is 100W (TDP). Are you set on a rackmount case or not sure? You could go for a rackmount solution but this will eat into your budget more than a desktop case will.

1-I want the unraid to store my blu-rays movies 3d and 2d (ISO clone) uncompressed format about 50gb each (65 movies p/ 3TB)

2-The unraid must perform well in reading and streaming 50gb  each file, wired serving a micca ep950 media player and a htpc + xbmc (not at same time).

3- And to copy back new ripped files 50gb from htpc to unraid storage.

4- When i mean performance i expect constant 70 to 80 MBps for future proof ( i dont need that much to blu-ray but its better more than less).

5- is ddr3 important for cheaper memory and future proof

6- sata 6 gbps future proof

7- I'm using unraid 5.0 for 3TB

8- i just want to build the unraid, confi , test and forget that is there.

9- since i will only access to files when I'm watching a movie or listen music the hard drive degradation will be low (i hope)

10- i want avoid the sempron, but i think  a dual core or core 2 duo would be better, but I'm no expert.

To answer your questions:

1. unRAID will suffice for storing this data.

2. As long as you have a gigbit LAN you should be able to stream these BR rips to multiple players at one time, unRAID will cope.

3. Yes? Sorry, this isn't really a question.

4. You will need a cache drive to get these write speeds although any cache drive should be fine. See this thread if you need help choosing a cache drive.

5. DDR3 is the fastest and cheapest option unless you already have some of the hardware.

6. SATA3 will only be beneficial for an SSD as most mechanical drive setups can't even bottleneck SATA2, for unRAID SATA3 offers no benefit at all.

7. Yes, 5.0-beta8 or newer

8. unRAID is very much set and forget

9. unRAID servers are usually write once, read many and so hard drive degredation should be fairly low, yes.

10. A sempron would work fine although a low TDP dual core is recommended.

thanks @chickensoup

i will try to follow your config /suggestion.

the motherboard and cpu are expensive in europe ,but  i understand ,they are future proof and reliable.

the case looks like has good reviews on it.

the corsair power supply must be good , i a have a seasonic SS-400FL 400w gold in the htpc, and is really really quiet.

why you advice only 1x ram :)  ram is so cheap these days.

i will keep this post updated, i just need to wire cat5 some part of the house to get in ht room (not dedicated) , before i start ordering the hardware.

my first taught was, to put the server in same room has the htpc, onkyo 609,speakers etc,  but small cases and noise don't match when we watching a movie.

regards

couto27

To be honest, most unRAID servers (using the default settings) only need to have one or a couple of drives spinning at any given time and so they are fairly quiet. Obviously this isn't the case when powering up/powering down or doing a parity check however I would still recommend keeping the unRAID server in another room. There really is no need for it to be so close to your HTPC (unless you want to stare at the pretty lights, which i'm sure every unRAIDer has done at some stage) :P

You could get 2x4GB DDR3 if you wanted to but to be honest even 4GB is overkill, unRAID is not very memory intensive until you start to load it up with plugins (even then it depends on the plugins as the most popular ones don't use a whole lot of memory either). The only real exception is if you are considering virtualising unRAID with something like ESXi in which case the host would want as much RAM as possible, but then the entire build would change as well.

If you want to save money on the CPU and motherboard setup you could change it to something like an AthlonII X2-250 and an AM3 compatible motherboard. You wouldn't be sacrificing much but it could help save a few $. Alternatively just go with a standard desktop motherboard based on LGA1155 (and stick with the core i3). You will pay a premium for a Supermicro board but they come highly recommended by many users on this forum.

Can't go wrong with a Supermicro motherboard. Got myself a 9XSCM-F for 165 Euro. It has IPMI and can completely headless and is fully configurable (BIOS etc.) over LAN.

Be carefull with the PSU you choose though. Corsair TX will be ok.

I tried to get an IPMI motherboard when I originally built my server but they were impossible to get back then (in Aus). They seem to be popping up a bit now so if/when I do a rebuild I will definately be getting one.

There's quite a few on the market that are interoperable with unraid. I'm using the supermicro x9scm-f and very happy with it. Supermicro boards have models with Ipmi on board and add on modules. Just about all new intel server boards have Ipmi integrated on the main board.

hi guys i´ve being busy with work, not to much time to put the project moving on.

well, i change my mind and priorities regarding what server to build.

i want to use the unraid in ht room, it needs to be the silent and quiet possible.

For the next couple months I'm served with a 5 bay lian-li ex-503 i read the reviews and it seems quiet enough,my order is on its way

i will keep the lian-li ex403 for unraid backup .

case -pc-Q08 or others with length: 16mm for psu.

motherboard- mini-atx or micro-atx

cpu -??

memory - ??

power supply - seasonic X400 FL gold ] seasonic X400 FL gold i have one in htpc and its brilliant [/url]

hard drive- at least 4bays

performace: at least 50MB/s

budget: healthy

Archived