My array won't start up :(

I shutdown the server to do some maintenance .. to move a drive cage back a bit so the fan cleared the front bezels.

I started it back up and clicked the button to start the array.

It's trying to start up and disk2 says it is still trying to mount.. I see reads AND WRITES (wth?) happening to both disk2 and the parity drive while this is trying to mount.. I dont' understand this.. what's going on sigh.

Btw, when I shut it down it wouldn't not unmount the disks .. it kept trying over and over.. shut down all the clients and it kept trying.. then I finally went to the console and logged in and typed reboot.

Then powered it down after it rebooted.

did the maintenance and powered it back up and took forever to mount disk2.  (and all those reads/writes to disk2 and parity drive occured).

What version of unRAID are you using? Are you running any add ons? Can you provide a syslog?

If you check your syslog, you will likely see a bit about 'replaying journaled transactions'. This is the reiser file system performing its own data recovery automatically, which explains all the read/write activity on disk2. As jonathanm said, this is all normal behavior after an unclean shutdown (caused by typing 'reboot' at the system console). The server taking a long time to unmount the disks was likely from an add on or other program trying to access one of them.

Never force a shutdown unless you have no other choice, always use the webgui.

Whenever I have to shutdown the system I always first stop the array with the webgui, then i do the shutdown from the webgui as well.  However it would not unmount the volumes no matter what I tried.  I wanted to do some sort of shutdown on the system instead of just powering it off so I logged into the console and shut it down there with a "reboot" command. 

Is there some other script I could try running instead of "reboot" if it comes to this again?