Pimp Your Rig

Is lime-technology still going to build Complete Servers? 

They have not carried servers for a while, but there homepage says there should be a server available in Q1 2011 for shipping.

If you need one built Rajahal or myself are willing to build a server for you so long as you are in the united states. Just send us a private message if your interested.

Here are a few pictures  of my build, unfortunately this build took a two months to complete because I had to order two fan covers from Italy!!

I added two fans under each of my 8 port sata cards as they seemed to get very hot.

The first few pics are of the testing and pre clearing of the hdd's

I changed / upgraded the psu.

I have mounted the fan controller outside  the box and I am controlling the fans on the cpu. heat pipes, fans mounted under the sata cards and the fans on the door. I have temperature sensors on the sata cards and heat pipes.

What connectors did you use to extend the fan cables?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is a couple years in the making, so some of my HW isn't state of the art any more, but functions pretty well now that I have an adequate SATA Card...

Case: COOLER MASTER CM Stacker STC-T01-UWK - http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16811119039

Motherboard: Asus P5B-VM DO http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131085

Power Supply: OCZ 700W - OCZ700MXSP - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341018

HD BackPlanes: (4) x ICY DOCK MB455SPF-B Multi-Bay Backplane Module - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994028&Tpk=MB455SPF-B

CPU: Intel Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115003

Memory: 4 GB Total - A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC2 6400 and Corsair 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC2 6400

SATA Card: SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8 PCI Express x4 Low Profile SAS SAS RAID Controller - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816101358

Cooling: (4)x80MM Fans (back of IcyDocks), (1)x120MM Exhaust Fan, (4)x80mm Exhaust fans, 2 Rear, 1 Top, 1 Left Side

adding soon - IBM BR10i SAS RAID Controller

15 Drives Currently, All Seagate - (5)x750GB, (6)x1TB, (4)x1.5TB = 14.25TB

5 Drives Waiting for new BR10i Card - (2)x500GB, (3)x360GB = ~2TB

Total of 16.25TB

P1010727.JPG

No Inside Wiring Pics yet since it's kind of messy still, but will post once I get cleaned up.

This is a couple years in the making, so some of my HW isn't state of the art any more, but functions pretty well now that I have an adequate SATA Card...

Case: COOLER MASTER CM Stacker STC-T01-UWK - http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16811119039

Motherboard: Asus P5B-VM DO http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131085

Power Supply: OCZ 700W - OCZ700MXSP - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341018

HD BackPlanes: (4) x ICY DOCK MB455SPF-B Multi-Bay Backplane Module - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994028&Tpk=MB455SPF-B

CPU: Intel Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115003

Memory: 4 GB Total - A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC2 6400 and Corsair 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC2 6400

SATA Card: SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8 PCI Express x4 Low Profile SAS SAS RAID Controller - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816101358

Cooling: (4)x80MM Fans (back of IcyDocks), (1)x120MM Exhaust Fan, (4)x80mm Exhaust fans, 2 Rear, 1 Top, 1 Left Side

adding soon - IBM BR10i SAS RAID Controller

15 Drives Currently, All Seagate - (5)x750GB, (6)x1TB, (4)x1.5TB = 14.25TB

5 Drives Waiting for new BR10i Card - (2)x500GB, (3)x360GB = ~2TB

Total of 16.25TB

P1010727.JPG

No Inside Wiring Pics yet since it's kind of messy still, but will post once I get cleaned up.

I am building my server this weekend with the same case and icy docks.  Right now I only have 2 cages and not sure when or if ever i would need 4.  But if that time comes, what did you do with the power/reset module that takes up the top slot that limits the stock case to 11 bays?

thanks,

Murray

I am building my server today and need some advice on securing cables.  I plan to use zip ties to keep the cables bundled together, but there are some places where I would like to secure the cables to the case but there are no places to zip tie it in the locations where I need.  I the past I have used tape, but that always seems to peel sway after a while.  Thanks!

I am building my server today and need some advice on securing cables.  I plan to use zip ties to keep the cables bundled together, but there are some places where I would like to secure the cables to the case but there are no places to zip tie it in the locations where I need.  I the past I have used tape, but that always seems to peel sway after a while.  Thanks!

Don't bundle power cables with SATA data cables.  (it can sometimes cause weird induced noise on the SATA cables causing difficult to find random disk errors.)

Don't bundle power cables with SATA data cables.  (it can sometimes cause weird induced noise on the SATA cables causing difficult to find random disk errors.)

Yeah, I wasn't planning on doing that.  That's one of the reasons that I was asking about securing cables to the case.  I have way more power cables than I need to use and am trying to neatly keep them out of the way.

I use these in my TV stand/on the back of my TV/everywhere possible:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10520&cs_id=1052006

I am building my server this weekend with the same case and icy docks.  Right now I only have 2 cages and not sure when or if ever i would need 4.  But if that time comes, what did you do with the power/reset module that takes up the top slot that limits the stock case to 11 bays?

thanks,

Murray

I popped that whole panel off, then removed the Power/Reset switch from it, and run the power wire to the MB through a hole in the back of case on the bottom.  I need to fasten it, or get a replacement switch that is a little "neater", but it's pretty well hidden at the back of the case on the bottom.

I am building my server this weekend with the same case and icy docks.  Right now I only have 2 cages and not sure when or if ever i would need 4.  But if that time comes, what did you do with the power/reset module that takes up the top slot that limits the stock case to 11 bays?

thanks,

Murray

I popped that whole panel off, then removed the Power/Reset switch from it, and run the power wire to the MB through a hole in the back of case on the bottom.  I need to fasten it, or get a replacement switch that is a little "neater", but it's pretty well hidden at the back of the case on the bottom.

If it is not too much of a pain to get to the back of your server, could you post a picture so I can get a better idea how you did it.  Again, it may be years or never until I would ever need to do it, so if it is too much trouble don't worry about it and if you can do it, I am in no rush so do it at your convenience.

thanks,

Murray

thanks,

Murray

I popped that whole panel off, then removed the Power/Reset switch from it, and run the power wire to the MB through a hole in the back of case on the bottom.  I need to fasten it, or get a replacement switch that is a little "neater", but it's pretty well hidden at the back of the case on the bottom.

If it is not too much of a pain to get to the back of your server, could you post a picture so I can get a better idea how you did it.  Again, it may be years or never until I would ever need to do it, so if it is too much trouble don't worry about it and if you can do it, I am in no rush so do it at your convenience.

thanks,

Murray

P1010742.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

This is my solution using Celeron processor.

Here's the Specs:

Case: ATX Case Diverse E178 - 4x 5.25" - 5x 3.5" - 2 USB

Mobo: Motherboard Gigabyte GA-P31-ES3G ATX - iP31 - LGA775 Socket - UDMA100, Serial ATA-300 - Gigabit Ethernet

CPU: Intel Celeron 430 / 1.8 GHz ( 800 MHz ) - LGA775 Socket - L2 512 KB (35W)

RAM: 2x Kingston ValueRAM - 1 GB - DIMM de 240 espigas - DDR2 - 800 MHz / PC2-6400 - CL5 - 1.8 V

PSU: Sharkoon SHA350-8P - 350W - ATX12V 2.2, ATX 2.03

Fans:

Arctic-Cooling Alpine 7 GT Socket 775

4x Cooler Master SAF B83-E1 - 80 mm.

Array case:

Kingwin KF-3000-BK - RAID SATA - 3.5"

Evercool ARMOR Dual 3xHDD Cooler

Addon: PCI Sata II SIL3124 with NCQ and Port Multiplier

Other:

External Fan Control

ESATA PCI bracket

Dual IDE-CF adapter

Sandisk Compact Flash 64MB

Sandisk Compact Flash 8GB

HDDs:

1x500GB (Seagate ST3500630AS)

3x500GB (Seagate ST3500641AS)

1x750GB (WDC WD7500AADS)

1x750GB (MDT MD7500AAVS)

nas02.jpg

evercool%2Binstalado.jpg

minas20101128-01.jpg

minas20101128-03.jpg

minas20101128-02.jpg

Like the fact you used the CF cards, nice.

This is my solution using Celeron processor.

Here's the Specs:

Case: ATX Case Diverse E178 - 4x 5.25" - 5x 3.5" - 2 USB

Mobo: Motherboard Gigabyte GA-P31-ES3G ATX - iP31 - LGA775 Socket - UDMA100, Serial ATA-300 - Gigabit Ethernet

CPU: Intel Celeron 430 / 1.8 GHz ( 800 MHz ) - LGA775 Socket - L2 512 KB (35W)

RAM: 2x Kingston ValueRAM - 1 GB - DIMM de 240 espigas - DDR2 - 800 MHz / PC2-6400 - CL5 - 1.8 V

PSU: Sharkoon SHA350-8P - 350W - ATX12V 2.2, ATX 2.03

Fans:

Arctic-Cooling Alpine 7 GT Socket 775

4x Cooler Master SAF B83-E1 - 80 mm.

Array case:

Kingwin KF-3000-BK - RAID SATA - 3.5"

Evercool ARMOR Dual 3xHDD Cooler

Addon: PCI Sata II SIL3124 with NCQ and Port Multiplier

Other:

External Fan Control

ESATA PCI bracket

Dual IDE-CF adapter

Sandisk Compact Flash 64MB

Sandisk Compact Flash 8GB

HDDs:

1x500GB (Seagate ST3500630AS)

3x500GB (Seagate ST3500641AS)

1x750GB (WDC WD7500AADS)

1x750GB (MDT MD7500AAVS)

nas02.jpg

evercool%2Binstalado.jpg

minas20101128-01.jpg

minas20101128-03.jpg

minas20101128-02.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well this is my rig, originally it was built in this 16 drive server, but the motherboard went, and I found that the power supply is too loud, if some one wants to buy this case off me, make an offer, its just collecting dust now.

HPIM0959-1.jpg

HPIM0952.jpg

The OS is not unRAID like my last build but Mint Linux using Webmin and mdadm for raid. + XBMC for HD playback, the setup uses 4 120mm fans at low RMP so it is almost whisper quilt, ( I Have to turn off my ac to hear it)

Local READ/WRITE

test4.png

Network READ/WRITE

readwritetestubuntumintserverafternetworkchanges42211.png

MY new rig. uses 6x1.5 TB + 750 GB hard drive, I am waiting for 2 more 1.5 TB hd that I rma due to the fact they failed my drive testing

close up on the drives note the custom power cable I made, also there are 2 rear mount 120 mm fans, and 2 front mount 120 mm fans (not in picture)

-The case is an old speaker box with a 2 blown speakers in it, It can hold 22 Hard drives and only cost me $20 to build (including the speaker box)

SANY0008.jpg

Full picture

SANY0028.jpg

SANY0035.jpg

SANY0030.jpg

And heres a picture of my external drive cooler, which cost $7 to build

SANY0042.jpg

Here is my little unRaid set-up.  I have been running unRaid for a little over a year, and love it.  I have three SuperMicro 933t cases, with a 4th on the way.

Ok, I think I am finally done.  I believe I am done with my storage tower after finally adding the 4th 933t case.  I am out of room.

Now I will need 3tb drive support if I want to grow any further.  :)

Maybe I need to keep less data?  Naaaaa.

dsc04546.jpg

Updated unRaid Rack with 4th unRaid Servers.

dsc04547.jpg

Rack with Keyboard out.  The just in case console access.  Even though the consoles can be accessed via the web from the Avocent console server.

Storage Rack Specs:

APC NetShelter Rack

APC SU3000 Smart UPS

Two APC AP9211 remote Reboot switches

Managed GIG Switch

AVOCENT DSR2030 Local and Remote KVM

GEIST RSMINI environmental monitoring

4x SuperMicro 933t servers with 28TB each RAW.

Rack Solutions 2U sliding Monitor Shelf.

I only have one word to comment on this set up, Awesome! Man you can never have too much data. I take it you don not run these guys 24/7?

Thank you, a lot of time and effort has gone into them, and the whole set-up.

Only one runs 24/7, the other three are powered as needed for data access or backup schedules.