Pimp Your Rig

...(procrastinating / taking too long a break whilst doing my income tax report)

...and this is my old rig.

case is/was an antec 300;

all fans (save for the top 140mm antec tri-cool) are/were scythe 800rpm fans (SFF21D);

the psu is/was an ocz mod-xtreme 500w (modular cabling is a blessing!);

all 6 hard drives are wd sata, with half of them being caviar 500gb and the other half caviar green 1tb;

an ide lg dvd burner is thrown in there "just in case"

unraid is held on an 8gb patriot "xporter xt boost" usb thumb drive

motherboard is a gigabyte ga-ma770-ud3;

cpu a sempron 1250;

2gb of kingston ddr2-667 ram;

video card is an asus passive 4350 (ati)

the second gigabit nic is a tp-link tg-3269c (realtek pci card)

the other expansion card seen in the picture is an adaptec 2940 and shows this used to be one of my unix test machines.

the drive with the red thumbscrews is the parity drive.

since a drive failure meant "opening the hood" to get to the drive, and since this case made adding more drives a bit of a challenge, is why i "reincarnated" my nas.  pictures of the new beast forthcoming.

sorry if tinypics did not shrink the pictures for this post. "my bad", next time i'll endeavour to do a better job uploading them.

//edit// thank ${deity} for the possibility to edit previous post.  the images have been shrunk and re-uploaded to tinypics.

so here goes, 5 pics:

k4hst0.jpg

nnqvja.jpg

2435m6f.jpg

28s58n6.jpg

eapqgn.jpg

not the best job overall, but for a first unraid build, it served its purpose very well.

that configuration was very quiet, even more when unraid spun down the drives.

it could be left turned on 7/24 even if its temporary digs are near the bedrooms (until the renos are finished).

and before anyone asks, it's "partially dressed" with a sunbeau "lan party bag"

(http://www.sunbeamtech.com/PRODUCTS/Lan%20Party%20Bag/Lan%20Party%20Bag.html)

to make a hasty exit more dignified in case (bad luck) happens.

shut down, unplug cables, hook up the straps, get out of the house with less fear of dropping the box.

(i guess i've been involved with way too many disaster recovery exercises at work...)

cheers.

Just finished building mine, here is some pics and specs...  ;D

i am in the process of pre-clearing all the drives then i will hopefully get the unraid up and running to start copying over data. with the antec 1200 case i had to break out the tabs that normally supported the 5.25" drives but that was pretty easy by taking a pair of small vise grips then just moving it back and forth and it broke off pretty clean. one slick thing about the supermicro board is that it has a usb header directly on the board so you can plug in your flash drive directly on the board and not have it dangling outside of the case to be accidentally hit and break it...

Case: Antec 1200

Motherboard: Supermicro X7SBE-O

KVM/IP: Supermicro SIM1U+

CPU: Intel E5300 2.6Mhz Dual Core

Memory: 4x Kingston KVR800D2E5/1G

PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower XT W0229RU 750W

SATA Controllers: 2x AOC-SASLP-MV8

Drive Cages: 4x Supermicro CSE-M35T-1B

Drives: 2x WD20EADS & 2x WD20EARS (more on the way  ;D)

USB Flashdrive: 2x Lexar JumpDrive FireFly 4GB

Sweet Keyway, Let us know what your parity check speeds are.

I have a similar build with a Coolermaster Stacker and the AOC-SATA-MV8's. (I choose them as the price was right for open box @70 each).

I may upgrade to the SAS Controllers, but I'm not sure. I may fill the PCIe with an Areca for the parity/cache with SAFE RAID and use a bracket or two for floor mounting. My PSU is on top so that bottom PSU area is ripe for another couple drives hahaha!  I like the look of the antec 1200 with Supermicros. I bet with the larger fans exhausting air, you might be able to get away with taking the loud sanyo denki's off the CSE-M35T-1B. I went with the GEILD from the recommendation @ newegg reviews. They are very quiet.

Very nice, KeeWay. 

I'm building a new rig myself with the same MB/CPU/RAM and am considering the SIM1U+, but was concerned that the mini-USB cable would interfere with the flash drive.  It looks like yours fits fine, so I might install the KVM/IP card after all.

Case: Antec 1200

Motherboard: Supermicro X7SBE-O

KVM/IP: Supermicro SIM1U+

CPU: Intel E5300 2.6Mhz Dual Core

Memory: 4x Kingston KVR800D2E5/1G

PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower XT W0229RU 750W

SATA Controllers: 2x AOC-SASLP-MV8

Drive Cages: 4x Supermicro CSE-M35T-1B

Drives: 2x WD20EADS & 2x WD20EARS (more on the way  ;D)

USB Flashdrive: 2x Lexar JumpDrive FireFly 4GB

Looks nice. I would change that stock CPU cooler screwing up all the airflow in your case to a Scythe Ninja that blows to the back in the same direction as the drive fans.

Hey KeeWay,

Did you go with all 1M sata cables or are some .5?

Looks like some extra there..  Looks nice though.

;D

i believe it is the .5 meter

here is the description from buy.com where i got them....

3ware Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) Internal Cable - 1 x SFF-8087 - 4 x SATA - 1.6ft

thanks

James

Sweet Keyway, Let us know what your parity check speeds are.

I have a similar build with a Coolermaster Stacker and the AOC-SATA-MV8's. (I choose them as the price was right for open box @70 each).

I may upgrade to the SAS Controllers, but I'm not sure. I may fill the PCIe with an Areca for the parity/cache with SAFE RAID and use a bracket or two for floor mounting. My PSU is on top so that bottom PSU area is ripe for another couple drives hahaha!  I like the look of the antec 1200 with Supermicros. I bet with the larger fans exhausting air, you might be able to get away with taking the loud sanyo denki's off the CSE-M35T-1B. I went with the GEILD from the recommendation @ newegg reviews. They are very quiet.

how does one check the real speeds of the parity build and should i have more drives? i have 3 more 2tb drives coming next week ;D

here is what is currently happening on the unmenu page...

My first unraid server. I was aiming to build a compact rack-mount low power consumption server. I'm really pleased with how it turned out!  ;D

unraid.jpg

2U compact server rackmount case -- seems to have space for 9 HDs if needed. It's a compact depth chassis which fits in my 20" depth rack. 80plus efficiency power supply.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811192163

Intel Atom D510 Micro ITX motherboard with IPMI, 6 onboard SATA ports and onboard USB port. This mb is fantastic and I really like IPMI. Thanks for the recommendation from these forums.

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/ATOM/ICH9/X7SPA.cfm?typ=H&IPMI=Y, from wiredzone.com

RAM 2x

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134546

Disks: 2x Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136456

Currently rebuilding parity at ~120,000kb/sec

Will try and post some power consumption numbers when I have it connected to my UPS.

KeyWay...  which tabs did you take out for the cages on the 1200? Or did you break all of them off?

i broke them all off. since i was using all cages i tried leaving just the ones where the cages would slide in but it was quite snug so i just broke them all off..

thanks

James

A note to all 4020/4220 users: the second row of Molex power connectors on the backplane is intended to be used *only* with a second redundant power supply or an alternate power supply. You don't need to connect it using Y-adapters to a single PS!

hello, has this been confirmed ... can you possibly run 20 drives only connecting one molex for each backplane ? has anyone done this ?

thanks in advance