Pimp Your Rig

On 28/03/2017 at 9:44 PM, shanelovell said:

Figured Id share as well.

This is my Son building his first server ever.

Here is the list of parts

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kRnpJV

I can post some of the completed project pictures when I get back home if anyone is interested.

I really just thought it was a cool father son build.

IMG_0186.JPG

IMG_0187.JPG

IMG_0188.JPG

IMG_0189.JPG

Hi Sir,

I am about to build a new system to merge my main computer and a backup server. Would you recommend this server? 

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just upgraded my CPU to a Phenom II x 4 945 from a Sempron 145 for that Plex and 8 Gigs of Ram :)

Installed new Arctic fans since the old ones started to whine after 7 years.

A new CPU cooler too I had laying around.

But the coolest is that fan controller I had laying around. Double sided tape on one side in the case.  ? 

Server going strong!

Beer40oz Server.jpg

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Beer40oz said:

Just upgraded my CPU to a Phenom II x 4 945 from a Sempron 145 for that Plex and 8 Gigs of Ram :)

Installed new Arctic fans since the old ones started to whine after 7 years.

A new CPU cooler too I had laying around.

But the coolest is that fan controller I had laying around. Double sided tape on one side in the case.  ? 

Server going strong!

Beer40oz Server.jpg

Excellent job. But have to ask, why the CPU upgrade? CD or actually needed it?

Looks great. 

• 1 month later...

Hey folks,

I'm an unRAID newb, but thought I'd share my little project.  I picked up a 2nd hand Coolermaster Elite 130 Mini-ITX case that originally had just one external 5.25" drive bay and a couple of internal mounts for drives.  I took to it with a pair of tin snips and a hacksaw and was able to squeeze in a pair of 3-bay hot-plug drive cages and made up my own internal brackets to mount them.  I can take some internal photos if anyone's interested, but with the depth of the drive cages, there is not a millimeter to spare between the back of the drive and the motherboard.  I wanted something small, quiet, low-power and with external drive access.  Internally, I also have a pair of SSDs for cache - one m.2 and one 2.5".  The motherboard is a ROG Strix X470-i, populated with a Ryzen 2200G and 16 GB of RAM.  The solitary PCIe slot is populated with a 2-port (soon to be replaced with a 4-port) SATA board.  I have a pair of 3 TB 7200 rpm drives installed and two more arriving tomorrow.

The box is just going to be a home storage & plex server to start with and we'll see where it goes from there...

unRAID.jpg

• Like 3
1 minute ago, BillR said:

Hey folks,

I'm an unRAID newb, but thought I'd share my little project.  I picked up a 2nd hand Coolermaster Elite 130 Mini-ITX case that originally had just one external 5.25" drive bay and a couple of internal mounts for drives.  I took to it with a pair of tin snips and a hacksaw and was able to squeeze in a pair of 3-bay hot-plug drive cages and made up my own internal brackets to mount them.  I can take some internal photos if anyone's interested, but with the depth of the drive cages, there is not a millimeter to spare between the back of the drive and the motherboard.  I wanted something small, quiet, low-power and with external drive access.  Internally, I also have a pair of SSDs for cache - one m.2 and one 2.5".  The motherboard is a ROG Strix X470-i, populated with a Ryzen 2200G and 16 GB of RAM.  The solitary PCIe slot is populated with a 2-port (soon to be replaced with a 4-port) SATA board.  I have a pair of 3 TB 7200 rpm drives installed and two more arriving tomorrow.

The box is just going to be a home storage & plex server to start with and we'll see where it goes from there...

unRAID.jpg

Beautiful job. This looks like a nice backup NAS.

Please post photos from the inside.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, BillR said:

Hey folks,

unRAID.jpg

Love it! I've been looking for a small, portable build, and this looks pretty awesome.

Looking forward to internal pictures as well.

24 minutes ago, pwm said:

Beautiful job. This looks like a nice backup NAS.

Please post photos from the inside.

Thanks.  OK, so this first pic is from top down.  The case is designed to take a full sized ATX PSU, but I opted for a SFF power supply to give me some wiggle room.  If I'd gone with a regular PSU, you wouldn't be able to see the CPU fan.  So an added bonus of the SFF PSU is better airflow to the CPU.

The second pic shows the rig from the left side.  You can see the strips of steel I used to stabilise the drive cages.  The front of the case was literally cut out with tin snips, after measuring up and scoring the outline on the steel.  The plastic front panel, I cut with a hacksaw blade and then smoothed out with a rasp.  Not a lot of room to play with, but everything is there.

The motherboard itself only has 4 onboard SATA ports, so I have a PCIe card with 2 more.  But I'm replacing that with a 4-port card to cater for all bays full plus sata SSD.

Bill.

20180731_010241.jpg

20180731_010328.jpg

4 hours ago, BillR said:

Thanks.  OK, so this first pic is from top down.  The case is designed to take a full sized ATX PSU, but I opted for a SFF power supply to give me some wiggle room.  If I'd gone with a regular PSU, you wouldn't be able to see the CPU fan.  So an added bonus of the SFF PSU is better airflow to the CPU.

The second pic shows the rig from the left side.  You can see the strips of steel I used to stabilise the drive cages.  The front of the case was literally cut out with tin snips, after measuring up and scoring the outline on the steel.  The plastic front panel, I cut with a hacksaw blade and then smoothed out with a rasp.  Not a lot of room to play with, but everything is there.

The motherboard itself only has 4 onboard SATA ports, so I have a PCIe card with 2 more.  But I'm replacing that with a 4-port card to cater for all bays full plus sata SSD.

Bill.

Do you have any exhaust fan except the PSU?

Looks like it might get warm in there.

@BillR -

Maybe with the heavy "pull" of air from the case font (over the drives), there will be postive pressure inside the case that forces air out.

The Newegg picture shows a fan bottom left. (See below). Is that in place?

Looks like possible to have a fan on top of case just next to PSU blowing upwards. That would be awesome if you are having heat issues. Maybe a thin mount 92mm or 120mm would fit if you remove the horizontal support piece.

11-119-286-06.jpg

15 hours ago, SSD said:

Do you have any exhaust fan except the PSU?

Looks like it might get warm in there.

The fans built into the drive cages seem to keep the disks nice and cool.  It's winter here, but when I shut the unit down after hours of use, I can put my finger on the CPU heat-sink and it is barely warm.  I will re-assess when the weather gets warm, but right now, everything seems cool.  The little 80mm side fan is currently set to intake, and between it and the drive cage fans, there's plenty of air flow.  The CPU TDP is 65 watt, including the GPU, so not a lot of heat generated.  I think it will be fine.

2 hours ago, BillR said:

The little 80mm side fan is currently set to intake, and between it and the drive cage fans, there's plenty of air flow.

Evaluate that carefully. As it is currently, you are fighting the drive fans by pushing air into their exhaust. Your drive temps may suffer under load. All intake air should be forced to flow over the drives.

2 hours ago, BillR said:

I can put my finger on the CPU heat-sink and it is barely warm.

The CPU is not the part most at risk here, it's the drives.

2 hours ago, BillR said:

The fans built into the drive cages seem to keep the disks nice and cool.  It's winter here, but when I shut the unit down after hours of use, I can put my finger on the CPU heat-sink and it is barely warm.  I will re-assess when the weather gets warm, but right now, everything seems cool.  The little 80mm side fan is currently set to intake, and between it and the drive cage fans, there's plenty of air flow.  The CPU TDP is 65 watt, including the GPU, so not a lot of heat generated.  I think it will be fine.

I'd suggest starting a parity check, and monitoring the disk temps for at least 30-45 mins. If they stay in the low 40s, you're good. If they keep getting hotter and hotter with time, and start to go over 46 or 47C,  I'd stop the parity check.

I think you'd have better airflow / cooling with at least one exhaust fan. The fans on the drive cages bring in the air and PSU and exhaust fan would help force that air out, making it easier for the intake fans to bring in more fresh air. While it can be good to have a little positive pressure in the case, 3 in and 1 out might be too much. But run your temperate tests and see.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/15/2018 at 9:56 AM, SavellM said:

Finally got around to finishing my Rackmount setup and its pretty good looking :D

Just finishing off the rest of my home network cabinet and will post that shortly.

Sweet build. (sorry I removed the photos to keep the length in check. ;)

are your fans loud? or did your replace them all together?

2 hours ago, Alphahelix said:

Sweet build. (sorry I removed the photos to keep the length in check. ;)

are your fans loud? or did your replace them all together?

Fans are loud but not stupidly loud.

The server cab is in the loft so doesnt matter to me about noise, they can be as loud as they want :)

• 3 months later...

Tiny Unraid (Low consumption)

CPU : Intel Atom Cherry Trail x5-Z8350

Memory : 2GB

USB : USB 3.0

Network speed : Gigabit Ethernet

External case : SISUN  5 Bay USB 3.0

Disk : Western Digital (WD) Red - 4 To (x5)

APC : Eaton 3S 550

Usage: Storage, Plex, Download

L6FBcgT.jpg

Edited by Archer
5 hours ago, Archer said:

Tiny Unraid (Low consumption)

CPU : Intel Atom Cherry Trail x5-Z8350

Memory : 2GB

USB : USB 3.0

Network speed : Gigabit Ethernet

External case : SISUN  5 Bay USB 3.0

Disk : Western Digital (WD) Red - 4 To (x5)

APC : Eaton 3S 550

Usage: Storage, Plex, Download

Interesting. Do you have a parity disk in this setup? If so, how long does parity check take?

17 minutes ago, Archer said:

Yes, it seems to me about 9am. (To check)

Maybe a typo there. 9am isn't a "how long".😉

Anyway, no need to guess. You can get the results of your last parity checks by going to Main - Array Operations and click on the History button.

5 minutes ago, trurl said:

Maybe a typo there. 9am isn't a "how long".😉

Anyway, no need to guess. You can get the results of your last parity checks by going to Main - Array Operations and click on the History button.

I am not at home, and my server is not accesible online.
It lasts 9 hours, I'm checking tonight. (I do not speak English 😅)