Pimp Your Rig

I upgraded from 10GbE to 25GbE that alone is not that big of a deal buuuuuuuut i think the "switch" Card i used fot that is tellworthy 

i searched the web for any Info on that Card but could only find a few Articles around it and all of them are saying that 

this Card runs only in HP servers.

a few Forum questions later i had a 50/50 chance that this card runs in any PC, i took  the gamble.

Aaaand it does work in any PC.

Which Card iam talking about? This one HP 100GbE 620QSFP28 for 108€

it is a 100GbE singleport NIC which is breakoutable to 4x 25GbE i bought an Generic 100G QSFP28 to  4x25G SFP28 passive Copper DAC 1m or  5ft for 75€

I had some Parts lying  around like an Ryzen 4600G and bought an cheap Asus Prime B450M-K II and the cheaest 8GB DDR4 stick i could find.

I uses VyOs as my switch OS, the learning curve was not that steep and manageable.

I installed in on an 16Gb Optane stick via Rufus and the VyOs image after that activate SSH and an Management Port in the OS.

Get it in DHCP client mode and bridge all the Ports together. That would be 1Gbe and 4x25Gbe in a bridge than reboot and viola diy Switch enabeled.

I put the 2x Mellanox CX4121A  Dual-Port SFP28 PCIe x8 3.0 25GbE Adapter in my Main Rig / Unraid Server 

Why i choose those? 

A) two Ports

B) SR-IOV

C) 99€ Ebay

nvme PC to Unraid Server NVME

speed.thumb.jpg.052094c589ae36ebea501144c304e56d.jpg

nvme PC to Unraid Server NVME

speeeeeeed.jpg.8ee3dad4694575b2a637aaa6ac235938.jpg

"switch" the Fan on that HP card was not that loud but very whinie so i unplugged it, the NIC runs fine without it. 

switch.thumb.jpg.636aa036da3fdd582ca70a5d175c1774.jpg

Breakoutkabel from front to back Unraid server than Main Rig

breakout.thumb.jpg.0d9172b1f2ee30db570821d216a2a6a8.jpg

Good Day everyone :D

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
On 3/28/2017 at 3:44 PM, shanelovell said:

Figured Id share as well.

This is my Son building his first server ever.

Here is the list of parts

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kRnpJV

I can post some of the completed project pictures when I get back home if anyone is interested.

I really just thought it was a cool father son build.

IMG_0186.JPG

IMG_0187.JPG

IMG_0188.JPG

IMG_0189.JPG

That's really nice.  I just wish I could get my son into ANYTHING!  He's nine and if it's not video games or TV he's out.  I watched my dad build everything and that's how I learned to build.  Now my dad's passed, and I fix everything around my families' house while my sone looks at a screen in another room...

• 3 months later...

Here are my three old unRAID setups, 1, 2, and 3. That use external enclosures with the HP Gen7 Microservers.

Each unRAID setup uses 20+ hard drives (2TB to 4TB WD and Seagate) for the array and a 1TB WD for the cache drive.

unRAID 1A and unRAD 3.jpg

unRAID 2.jpg

Edited by aaronwt
add pics instead of links
  • 3 weeks later...

Here are my newer unRAID setups, four through nine. That still use HP Gen7 Microservers. Each one has five EXOS hard drives (12TB and/or 14TB). With one as parity and a 1TB 870 EVO SSD for the cache drive. With a UPS for each unRAID setup. And one UPS for the 2.5GbE switch.

unRAIDpics-4-9.jpg

Edited by aaronwt