SASLP-MV8 Card Questions (Heat Sink and RAID Mode)

Just bought 2 SASLP-MV8 from Amazon but I found that 2 cards were different.

Both card were marked AOC-SASLP-MV8 Rev 1.01 w/ BIOS .21 but there are some differences

Card A - with Heat Sink, RAID MODE : JBOD in BIOS, holes in PCB in the location without component were empty

Card B - without Heat Sink, RAID MODE : RAID0, RAID1, RAID10 in BIOS,  holes in PCB in the location without component were filled with solder

I tried to flash Card B to .21 again, or back to .15 and then .21, it still in RAID0, RAID1, RAID10 mode

Question

1) Is it OK to use both card together (with different RAID mode in BIOS) in same unRAID system (I will use it in my second system with ECS A885GM v1.1 and a 24bay 4U Case)

2) Is it OK to run card B 7x24 without heat sink? (Anyone bought one before without heatsink?)

3) Is there any method to switch the RAID mode back to JBOD mode? (both 2 card in my first system were inJBOD mode)

Thanks a lot in advance.

those cards normally never support RAID like this, so somebody has altered the PCB. And, since they are always sold with heatsink, I would say they are not okay to run without it.

I would contact the seller/ebay/paypal, because somebody sold you something different than what you got (since it no longer is an AOC-SASLP-MV8)

There are some raid versions of the AOC-SASLP-MV8 out there.

I have never seen one personally. Every now and then you see people complaining that they received a raid one and it was not flashable.. As I recall, the raid ones did not work in unRAID.

While you're at it, contact supermicro. see what they say. for people that got those from newegg, they were replaced by supermicro. I dont think they will replace one from ebay, but you never know if you dont ask.

I would guess that SM made some raid versions for a proprietary server. I would guess those oddball cards were pulled from them.

Thanks a lot for your quick response.

The problem is that I am in Hong Kong, a place without supermicro support, so I think RMA is not a possible option.

Just test the RAID one in my test board with RC4, it can boot up and unRAID can detect all individual harddisk.

But I did not run a parity test cause it don't have a heat sink and the chip is quiet hot.

Maybe I get a heat sink myself and install it on the chip and test it.