Tvheadend plugin for unRAID V5.0

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If anyone is interested, I am working on making a HDHomeRun, Realtech rc12a version. I have it complied, I just have to test it now. I will post it when I am sure it won't cause any harm.

I need the TBS but I believe Piotr is working on it, but I say go ahead and post I'm sure there are a few people that will be grateful.  If you're feeling really generous a list of instructions on how to compile would be great so we can DIY, but I do understand that would be a lot of work.

Alright, here it is: http://goo.gl/ByxtR

This has:

DVBHDHomeRun .15

Realtek r8168 (v8.035.00) and r8169 NIC drivers

As far as the instructions, I used Botez updated unRAID Custom scripts and the guide made by Pinch. I have attached my scripts to the post, you will need to rename them to <name>.sh. I also use a VirtualBox VM based on the one posted here, I boot the VM first and using Win 7 (Right click Computer > Manage > Disk Management > Right Click on Disk Management > Attach VHD) copy the new vanilla (5rc12a in this case) bzroot/bzimage boot up and run the scripts make sure to detach the VHD prior to booting up.

I do them in this order:

/boot/unraid-custom/scripts/bzroot-extract.sh

/boot/unraid-custom/scripts/kernel.sh

/boot/unraid-custom/scripts/bzroot-dvbhdhomerun.sh

Realtek drivers: download here

tar -xvf r8168-8.034.00.tar.bz2

cd r8168-8.034.00.tar.bz2

make clean all

/boot/unraid-custom/scripts/bzroot-compress.sh

The new bzimage and bzroot will be under /boot as bz*_custom, just rename the originals (bz*_ori) and the new ones to bzroot/bzimage, reboot and that should be that.

I hope this helps some others, it took me a while to get all the parts together, I have been running this for about 20h now and it seems to be working just fine.  :)

bzroot-extract.sh.txt

kernel.sh.txt

bzroot-dvbhdhomerun.sh.txt

bzroot-compress.sh.txt

Never really used Virtual Machines before.  Got the VHD mounted and copied over the RC12a biz files.  Can't get Oracle VM to run an UnRaid VM at all, keep getting errors.  Would it work if I booted my UnRAID machine with the RC12a biz file and ran the scripts using telnet and putty on there?  That was what I was just about to try.  :D

Did you let the VM boot the first time, I had an issue when I went right to 12a and it died on me, I booted the b2 just to shut it down and then copied the files to the VHD, it worked after that.

If you can grab a screenshot of the error that may help to (I am a network admin so I have a little experience with VMs).

You can do it on your unRAID box but I didn't feel comfortable with all of my data sitting on the server messing with all of this stuff. So using the VM seemed safer to me.

Right, managed to boot the Beta2 image, powered down, mounted it in windows, updated it, copied the  scripts over, unmounted it in windows, rebooted it with oracle and tried to run the first script but can't download anything.  Know it's got to be something to do with the network settings, just haven't figured out what to set it at yet. (I'm using ethernet on my machine with a Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller)

Well, made a lot of progress.  Ran the first two scripts and that all worked.  ;D

Realtek drivers sorted (version now updated as well which threw me for a while.

When I came to adding my TBS drivers it all went downhill.

Following the instructions with the drivers, I created a folder within unraid-custom called tbs and placed the required files in it and tried to run the instructions.

Create directory, for example /root/tbs and copy the following file to it:

- linux-tbs-drivers.tar.bz2 (S2API Linix driver for TurboSight TBS 6981)
- szap-s2.tar.bz2 (szap tool compatible with new DVB-S2 aware S2 API for Linux)
- scan-s2.tar.bz2 (scan tool compatible with new DVB-S2 aware S2 API for Linux)
- astra_szap-s2.conf (example configuration file for szap-s2)
- astra_scan-s2.conf (example configuration file for scan-s2)
- v4l-cx23885-avcore-01.fw (CX23885 AV core firmware, optional)

I.1 extract linux-tbs-drivers.tar.bz2 archive:

# tar xjvf linux-tbs-drivers.tar.bz2

I.2 go to driver package directory:
./
# cd linux-tbs-drivers

I.3 depending on your kernel version and if the kernel is x86 or 
x86_64 (check output of 'uname -a') do:

- for x86 kernel 3.x (x86 32 bit installations of kernel 3.x):

# ./v4l/tbs-x86_r3.sh

I.4 build and install the driver:

# make && make install

I.5 reboot in order to load the newly installed driver:

# shutdown -r now

All went smoothly until I got to running make && make install.  Just got errors

ln: creating symbolic link `./FILE.*': Operation not permitted

can run make install fine and says it is up to date, but just plain make isn't happening.

On the plus side so far I've learned loads!  Never thought I'd actually manage to get a virtual machine up and running, so it's not all bad! ;D

I am glad to hear it! I had some issues myself, it took me about two full days until I fully had my head wrapped around what was going on.

As for the make, try a "make clean install" this will do a a cleanup and then make and install. Once you have that run, you don't need to reboot. That is when you should run the bzroot-compress.sh as you are "installing" the drivers and modules to the symlinked directory.

Hope that works for you!

Really appreciate all the help Reginald.  Tried that and created the bz files and rebooted.  Somehow my TBS drivers didn't make it in but it was on RC12a and everything else worked so right now I'm feeling like that's a hell of an achievement.  Probably won't have much time to play around with it for a while, but it's definitely got me interested.  Sometimes I wonder if it's actually the results of all this messing around that I enjoy the most or the process to get there!  ;D

Hmm, I had the same thing so I started all over by deleting my VM and starting over again. If you want to post the bzroot, I could take a look.

If I get a chance I can take a look and let you know where to look for the drivers.

I have to agree with you I think I enjoyed the chase more than the fact that I finally got it. It took me back to when I used to compile my own kernel for Gentoo.

I am more than happy to help, I have leached a lot from here and a few other places like it.  :D

That's very good of you, deleted the files now, might have another go tomorrow.  It's the last couple of bits with the TBS drivers that are the problem. I'm still really pleased with the progress I've made with your help though.  Firing up my interest in getting into Linux a bit more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Reginald, giving your rc12a build a go, my hdhomerun isn't working... As far as I can tell from your scripts, userhdhomerun isn't being packaged with the new bzroot. Are you sure it is?

EDIT: Compiled userhdhomerun, placed it on the flash and symlinked it to /usr/bin/ and everything's working again - thanks for saving me the hassle of building the custom kernel :)

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Tvheadend and VDR 2.0.1 in my catalog

https://truck.it/p/Vq3zpArAKB

I don't know what I am doing wrong, but I am always unable to get any of these working?!?!

All it does is sit there on the "starting" page unless I kill it. If I revert back to tvheadend-9247faa-i486-git_PTr.txz everything works fine.

Is there a chance there's a new version of the plugin that I can download?

I did download the new rc-12a plugin and now I get the following warning:

DVB tuner: NOT DETECTED

There is no DVB-S/S2, DVB-T or DVB-C tuner in your system

This used to work fine on the rc-08a bzroot/bzimage I was using.

My cards still show up in the TVHEADEND GUI, but I get no signal strength:

#1 - Samsung S5H1409 QAM/8VSB Frontend

#2 - LG Electronics LGDT3305 VSB/QAM Frontend

These are OTA ATSC tuners, btw... not Satellite tuners...  if PIOTRASD or anyone could let me know what to do to get them working again, my family would stop beating me :)

If PIOTRASD is still working on a new rc12a bzroot and bzimage, then perhaps he'll include the drivers from the previous versions so my adapters will kick on again? ;)

Piotr's new build of tvheadend works for me.

I'm running the RC11 build as I'm using a TBS DVB-T2 quad tuner and that's the most recent build that has supported my card, although I did have a go at compiling my own but didn't quite manage it.

Here's Piotr's post with the RC11 image I used, I'm pretty sure there are three versions of each build depending on what TV card you use, just a matter of finding the right one.

new unRaid custom with DVB driver based on rc11

- latest TBS driver from 2013-01-26

- all driver of tuners from kernel turned ON

- added Firmwares of tuners

- some fix for realtek NIC (i hope enough)

- added exFAT and NTFS support (latest driver 2013)

- added mc

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/49442039/unraid.rc11.tbs.zip

BTW. unraid 5.0 final come with 64bit support, and i just only tell the package of tvheadend and driver are ready for 64bit system ;)

And here's my go file if that helps.

#!/bin/bash
# Start the Management Utility
/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

# TVHeadEnd Install
installpkg /boot/packages/libidn-1.19-i486-1.txz
installpkg /boot/packages/tvheadend-20130426-i686-1PTr.txz
sleep 10 && sudo -u root tvheadend -c /mnt/cache/.apps/tvheadend -u nobody -g video -f

I've never used the plg file as my impression has been that the original author stopped updating it and it's now very much outdated, as far as I know nobody has had any luck in updating it to using more recent builds of tvheadend from Piotr.

In summary, there are two parts to getting this working without the plugin.  First is getting the bzimage and bzroot files containing the drivers you need.  You could potentially use the ones from the plugin for this as they have worked for you before.  Then modify your go file to run one of Piotr's TVheadend builds.

Hope this helps mate.