Tvheadend plugin for unRAID V5.0

Trying to give this plugin a run on my test server with a HDhomerun but I think with the 5.0rc4 I'm losing network connectivity. I assume when the MEDIA tree is installed in the plugin it messes with the kernel and the realtek nic issue comes up.

When I run 5.0rc5 r 8168 everything is fine.

How easy is it to add MEDIA tree to the 5.0rc5-r-8168. I'm fairly new to this but I'm happy hacking away.

Does anyone have any links to this?

Hey, it's actually pretty simple. The link for building the kernel is here: http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Installing_Tvheadend_in_unRAID

there isn't really any instructions for dvbhdhomerun...although it's not too hard. I'm not too sure about r8168. I would give it a try myself but I am very busy for the next few weeks...

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

Would it be possible for someone, perhaps kricker to walk me through the steps necessary to get guide data for atsc US into tvheadend.

Under Linux I'd be looking for and configuring the file --> /usr/bin/tv_grab_na_dd

Thanks in advance.  I have everything setup to this point but without guide data I would just be using it as a glorified VCR :)

Kryspy

I don't have a NTSC build of TVheadend, so I've not tested the XML file mc2xml generates with it yet. Running mc2xml on linux is exactly the same as on Windows. The only tweak I made was to make the .chl file to limit what channels it grabs. No reason to grab guide data for channels I never watch and would have disabled.

Setup a Cron job to run mc2xml every 24-48 hours and copy the xml file to the proper TVheadend folder. Place that in th go file and you should be good to go.

Do you have an NTSC build of TVheadend you can share?

Hi all,

Firstly I am very excited to give this a go but I am having a particularly stressful time getting this up and running. I have a N40l with a TBS DVB-S2 (TBS 6981 PCI-E) dual tuner, I installed the plugin then from the plugin page I installed media tree\TBS package. It asked me to reboot and the plugin shows the following:

System requirements: PASSED

MEDIA tree: DETECTED

DVB tuner: DETECTED

Tvheadend login/password: ACCEPTED

I adjusted the user/pass/xml and enabled tvheadend, running as nobody with a persistent data dir.

Initially tower:9981 would not accept user/pass, a quick fiddle with the superuser fixed that and I can logon to the page, but I am now left with three? problems.

1) the plugin status is always showing Status: STOPPED. I select enable tvheadend and apply but when I click start the ui freezes. If I refresh the page it still says stopped but i can still connect to tower:9981. (im using simple features)

2) after a clean powerdown or restart the array does not start and the webpage is inaccessible, I have to delete the plugin and corresponding folder and unceanly reboot to get the array/webpage up again.

3) when I am able to onnect to the tvheadend webpage no tuners are listed and in the unraid log I have noticed the following

tower sudo:     root : TTY=console ; PWD=/ ; USER=nobody ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/tvheadend -c /mnt/cache/ServerApps/tvheadend/.htsconfig -u nobody -g video -f 2>&1 >/dev/null
tower tvheadend[21163]: dvb: Unable to open /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 -- Permission denied
tower tvheadend[21163]: dvb: Unable to open /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0 -- Permission denied
tower tvheadend[21163]: dvr: Creating new configuration ''
tower tvheadend[21163]: dvr: Output directory for video recording is not yet configured for DVR configuration "". Defaulting to to "/". This can be changed from the web user interface.
tower tvheadend[21163]: CSA: Using SSE2 128bit parallel descrambling
tower tvheadend[21163]: START: HTS Tvheadend version  started, running as PID:21163 UID:99 GID:100, settings located in '/mnt/cache/ServerApps/tvheadend/.htsconfig', dataroot: /usr/share/tvheadend

Any help is greatly appreciated!

p.s. I know I can "uninstall" by deleting the .plg and corresponding folder but I dont know how to remove media tree so havent been able to try a 'complete' reinstall.

Ok a little further along . . .

I completely un-installed the plugin, plugin data and reverted bzimage and root to default, and started the procedure again. First installing the plugin, the from the plugin page installing tvheadend then media tree\drivers and restarted. SUCCESS the array came back online and the web gui was accessable :) I was also able to login to tvheadend without a user\pass!

BUT

I am still seeing a problem with the service showing stopped on the plugin web page. Tvheadend is enabled but when i click apply or start i get the following:

Starting Tvheadend: sudo -u nobody /usr/bin/tvheadend -c /mnt/cache/ServerApps/tvheadend/.htsconfig -u nobody -g video -f 2>&1 >/dev/null

and the page just sits on refreshing . . . despite this i am able to log onto the tvheadend page but that still lists no tuners under configuration.

What am i missing\doing wrong? :/

• 2 weeks later...

:) Finally got it all working, in part thanks to the great british summer!

For anyone else facing the same problem, or if it might be a bug, here is what i did altogether to get it working:

1) updated other plugins to "influencers" latest

2) downloaded the tvheadend plugin, created my settings, installed tvheadend then downloaded the TBS media tree ... ... ... rebooted

3) (for another reason i run permission fix) then the first run of tvheadend was as "root", it all fired up (previously as nobody i had the problems above)

4) changed permissions of "/dev/dvb/" (chmod -R .. ... ...) stopped tvheadend and fired her up as "nobody"

5) quick check and everything is detected accessible and stopping the array/rebooting is working with the webserver coming back up ok :)

I don't know where in here i actually fixed my problem, but its all working now. I suppose i want to check if anyone knows why i was having problems and just to check if what i have done is 'kosha' as perhaps a little foolishly this was on my production server?

Thank you for the plugin!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I feel like a total NEWB here, but I've gotten pretty far into this setup so far :)

Firstly, THANKS for tackling this plugin, it's great to see such an active community helping each other out!

There seems to be a real lack of "how to", I'm assuming most in here are regular TVHeadend users, alas I have never used it before so I'm sure to have some "annoying" questions.

1) MC2XML seems to have dropped off the planet, anyone willing to share their copy?

2) I'm not sure how to get channels to show up, or is this because I have no MC2XML output?

I can see my card, and it's registering that there are signals in there, it's adding services. I just don't see where to map those services to channels or anything...

EDIT: Ok, now it's displaying channels and I can tune them in under XBMC, so WOOT :) Maybe it just needed time to populate?

The only thing I have to get going now is the EPG. I have subscribed to SchedulesDirect, is that of any help?

Ok, well I finally got it up and running... LOTS to learn :)

For those who are interested (and may be struggling like I was) I'm happy to post some of my findings!

I am using the Windows-based XMLTV utility which grabs my lineup from Schedules Direct and saves it to an XML file.

I downloaded the XMLTV zip and extracted it to my windows machine's C: drive.

I then configured the XMLTV program (in Windows) by running:

xmltv tv_grab_na_dd --configure

I set it up for my Schedules Direct lineup and then I was ready to grab the actual EPG.

The command I'm using (as I'm in Canada) is:

xmltv tv_grab_na_dd --days 14 --out channels.xml

This grabs 14 days of EPG data and saves it to a file called "channels.xml". This file is then copied to /mnt/extra/plugins/tvheadend/epg on my unRAID server. I created a batch file that runs this command and then scheduled a windows task to fire it every day at 5:00AM.

I modified the tv_grab_file line '7' to read 'cat /mnt/extra/plugins/tvheadend/epg/channels.xml' - so it looks for that file.

After I did that, when I clicked on "Save Configuration" under the XMLTV table in TVHEADEND's WEbGUI, it loaded the file, but still was not populating the EPG. I then discovered that I had to go into Channel Configuration and "point" each channel to it's EPG equivalent. This was done by clicking in the XMLTV SOURCE feild in the Channels tab of the TVHEADEND webGUI. Once I did that, it extracted a list of the "discovered" channels from my channels.xml file. I matched them all up, hit "Save Configuration" again in the XMLTV GUI and blammo, populated with all kinds of data :)

So, that's how I got things going, I hope it helps someone else. I did discover too, that the intial scan of "services" on my DVB card took a LONG time, that's why I didn't see how to add services to channels. Once it had scanned in, I was able to map the channels.

I'm thinking about creating a YouTube video of my trials and travails... maybe some people would get a little comfort in seeing it all laid out the way I did it.

I'd still like to figure out how to have the tv_grab_na_dd work from the unRAID box, so I don't have to rely on the Windows box, but it's not that big a deal since I run a "master" XBMC on that box which updates the library/thumbnails etc for all my shared clients.

The next thing I'd like to know is if this will work with multiple tuners, so I could get a couple of 2250s and have four (4) independent tuners to satisfy the people in the house. Also, would it work with USB tuners?

Unfortunately what worked for me isn't going to work for you as it does not support Canada or the US.

My situation was a little complicated by the fact that I'd pulled in a tvheadend config from another machine. On the server I was using an xmltv scraper for the uk called tv_grab_uk_rt

I tried installing the xmltv package listed earlier in this thread, but it references a newer perl package than the one available in the unmenu package section.

I tried symlinking to the old perl and pulling in a newer slackware build but either way started running into dependency hell and gave up.

I then noticed in the advanced config that there is xmltv support for most european countries. This uses a modified version of the tv_grab_file script to wget an xml file from a predefined server and the import it. This seems to work well for the UK, although the xml file content is quite different to my previous one so I had to delete my epgdb and start again.

This is a great and well written plugin, but could benefit from a little documentation. I'm pretty new to unraid (built mine on Sunday!) - Will see if I can start a wiki entry for this with what I have learnt and hopefully it will build from there.

Quick question, the precompiled TVheadend plugin with the HDHomeRun tuners, was that for the ATSC one or the DVB version?

I had a few seconds before work to get the plugin installed with a working network card and the TV adapter tab only had the ATSC version listed.

Thanks Josh