Tvheadend plugin for unRAID V5.0

getting no signal through the card. it can detect muxes alright.

was previously working just fine in ubuntu and does so if i reboot directly into ubuntu. what gives?

under the muxes screen i'm being told that frontend status is 'faint signal'. is there anything i can do to up the power from the card under unRAID?

**edit: rebooted and tested the card in ubuntu, works perfectly. using "HTS Tvheadend 3.2.18~g40a8920~precise". if i reboot into unraid, the card just doesn't pick up a signal. help?!

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does anyone have any info on whether this will work with a USB tuner? I saw the question raised a few pages back but then nothing more was said about this.

Also, can I just ask....is this the current version that I should be using https://dl.dropbox.com/u/49442039/tvheadend-3.3.135-i486-1_PTr.txz  ?

Or should I start with the one linked to in the original post by WW? I'm looking to run this on unraid 4.7 and send to XBMC on Windows 7 for now, but this could change to openelec in order to reclaim the hard drive from that box!!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Does anyone have any info on whether this will work with a USB tuner? I saw the question raised a few pages back but then nothing more was said about this.

Also, can I just ask....is this the current version that I should be using https://dl.dropbox.com/u/49442039/tvheadend-3.3.135-i486-1_PTr.txz  ?

Works fine for me with USB (T2) tuners. I would use that tvheadend as it's the most recent.

Thanks for the quick replies to my questions :-) I hope a couple more basic questions is ok? I can't seem to find a real simple guide to all of this....

So I've installed the package above by putting it in /boot/config/plugins then running installpkg tvheadend-3.3.135-i486-1_PTr.txz and the text came back almost immediately saying that it was installed. My understanding now is that I need to go to http://tower/settings/tvheadend followed by tower:9981 to get it all setup. Neither of those links are working for me, just brings back an error in chrome.

Is there some really important step that I've missed? Can someone point me in the right direction to get this up and running please?

Thanks in advance.

Just re-reading your other post - if you're still on vanilla 4.7 the AFAIK you won't have the required firmware, etc to run the tuners, as the unraid kernel is stripped down so it doesn't include the media elements.

There are bzimage and bzroot files in the thread for unraid 5.x which will give you the necessary media elements.

OK so I'm starting to understand all of this a bit more now - I had managed to miss the thread title where it said it was for V5.0!! So tonight I'm planning to upgrade from 4.7 to 5.0, get that all running as it should and then swap out the bzimage and bzroot files for the ones listed in this thread.

When I then come to install and run the plugin, is it one that needs to installed each time unraid boots? (I don't leave my server turned on 24/7). If this is the case then I'm guessing that I need to install it and launch it on each boot. Can you tell me how I should go about making sure this happens? Is there something I can add to the go script?

Finally, if this is having to be installed each and everytime, is this slowly going to destroy my flash drive?

I have tried to get this to work but I just cannot.  I am using 5.0 rc8 with the updated media tree.  I can scan on each of my ATSC PCI cards.  It finds all muxes but doesn't do anything when I click on the map to services tab.

Any ideas?  Of course I am just trying it without the array started or a disk, just the USB flash.

Kryspy

Ok, so I followed botez's posts #182 and #186 on page [13] of this thread to build rc8a with media tree and hdhomerun drivers.  Then I installed the latest tvheadend from piotrasd and modified my go script.

When I boot and go into the web interface, tvheadend's settings show that media tree enabled, but no dvb tuner is detected.

An "lsmod" shows that the three dvb_hdhomerun drivers/modules are loaded.  Why doesn't the hdhomerun show up in the tvheadend settings?  It was detected under the rc4 plugin from W-W, and I can always go back to that, but I am trying to increase my linux knowledge here.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

11/20 UPDATE:  Pretty sure it has to do with the timing/order of loading tvheadend, the hdhomerun drivers, and the network link.  Working on timing in the "go" script now.  Currently, I have tvheadend loading first, then the network comes up, then the hdhomerun stuff happens.  Can someone please tell me how to delay the tvheadend until after the network and the hdhomerun events?  Can that be accomplished in the go script somehow, or does it need to happen elsewhere?

sleep ? example sleep 60 :)

I think i have deeper issues (or else I don't know where to put the "sleep" call.  Let me give you a little deeper background so that maybe you can better troubleshoot.  Thanks in advance, by the way.  I am sure this is all basic boring stuff for most of you guys, but this is the bleeding edge of linux for me, as I've only been using linux as a hobby at home in the last year or two, but I am eager to learn.  :)

Here is what I did:

-I had been running unRaid 4.7 since early in 2011 with no issues, with the unmenu and snap addons, in addition to a few other packages

-In an effort to utilize my new HDHR3 box, I installed 5.0-rc8a last week with no issues by replacing the bz* files in the /boot directory

-I then installed the original W-W tvheadend plugin based on 5.0-rc4 with the .plg file on the W-W github

-I downloaded the media tree bz* files for the HDHR (through the plug-in web interface in unRAID)

-Then I installed the latest "tvheadend-3.3.135-i486-1_PTr.txz" using "installpkg"

-Everything looked good after a reboot- the HDHR was detected on the tvheadend plugin page, I could access "tower:9981" and tvheadend could access my two tuners.

-I then decided to try to upgrade the bz* files to 5.0-rc8a, using the information in this thread, specifically the info on page 13.

-It seems that everything worked, minus the HDHR detection.

From my log, it looks like the tvheadend loads first, then ethernet, then hdhomerun.  This is an improvement, as originally the ethernet was last, but I still don't know how to get tvheadend plugin to load in a different order.  Also, the hdhomerun user looks like it has some issues?  Shouldn't something else be happening in addition to what is in my log?

Here are some relevant parts of my syslog if it helps:

Nov 20 14:37:04 Tower logger: installing plugin: tvheadend_mod
Nov 20 14:37:04 Tower logger:  file /boot/config/plugins/tvheadend/tv_grab_file: already exists
Nov 20 14:37:04 Tower logger:  file /boot/config/plugins/tvheadend/tvheadend_W-W.txz: already exists
Nov 20 14:37:04 Tower logger:   upgradepkg --install-new /boot/config/plugins/tvheadend/tvheadend_W-W.txz ... 
Nov 20 14:37:04 Tower logger: +==============================================================================
Nov 20 14:37:04 Tower logger: | Installing new package /boot/config/plugins/tvheadend/tvheadend_W-W.txz
Nov 20 14:37:04 Tower logger: +==============================================================================
Nov 20 14:37:04 Tower logger: 
Nov 20 14:37:04 Tower logger: Verifying package tvheadend_W-W.txz.
Nov 20 14:37:04 Tower logger: Installing package tvheadend_W-W.txz:
Nov 20 14:37:04 Tower logger: PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
Nov 20 14:37:04 Tower logger: Executing install script for tvheadend_W-W.txz.
Nov 20 14:37:04 Tower logger: Package tvheadend_W-W.txz installed.
Nov 20 14:37:04 Tower logger: success
Nov 20 14:37:04 Tower logger:  file /boot/config/plugins/tvheadend/tvheadend.png: already exists
Nov 20 14:37:04 Tower logger:  file /tmp/tvheadend-cleanup: successfully wrote INLINE file contents
Nov 20 14:37:04 Tower logger:   /bin/bash /tmp/tvheadend-cleanup ... success
Nov 20 14:37:04 Tower logger:  file /boot/config/plugins/tvheadend/tvheadend.cfg: already exists
Nov 20 14:37:04 Tower logger:  file /etc/rc.d/rc.tvheadend: successfully wrote INLINE file contents
Nov 20 14:37:04 Tower logger:   successfully changed file mode
Nov 20 14:37:04 Tower logger:  file /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/tvheadend/tvheadend.page: successfully wrote INLINE file contents
Nov 20 14:37:04 Tower logger:  file /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/tvheadend/tvheadend.png: successfully copied LOCAL file
Nov 20 14:37:04 Tower logger:  file /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/tvheadend/tvheadend.php: successfully wrote INLINE file contents
Nov 20 14:37:04 Tower logger:  file /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/tvheadend/event/disks_mounted: successfully wrote INLINE file contents
Nov 20 14:37:04 Tower logger:  file /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/tvheadend/event/unmounting_disks: successfully wrote INLINE file contents
Nov 20 14:37:04 Tower logger:  file /var/log/plugins/tvheadend: successfully wrote INLINE file contents
Nov 20 14:37:04 Tower logger:  plugin successfully installed
Nov 20 14:37:06 Tower kernel: r8168: eth0: link up
Nov 20 14:37:07 Tower kernel: r8168: eth0: link up
Nov 20 14:37:15 Tower ata_id[1879]: HDIO_GET_IDENTITY failed for '/dev/.tmp-char-10:59' 
Nov 20 14:37:15 Tower kernel: HDHomeRun: Begin init, version 0.0.14
Nov 20 14:37:15 Tower kernel: HDHomeRun: Waiting for userspace to connect
Nov 20 14:37:15 Tower kernel: HDHomeRun: End init
Nov 20 14:37:15 Tower kernel: hdhomerun: userhdhomerun connected
Nov 20 14:37:15 Tower kernel: access_ok() fails
Nov 20 14:37:15 Tower kernel: access_ok() fails
Nov 20 14:37:15 Tower kernel: hdhomerun: userhdhomerun disconnected

and here is my "go" script:

#!/bin/bash
# Start the Management Utility
/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &
/boot/unmenu/uu

# Execute s3.sh sleep script
fromdos < /boot/custom/bin/s3.sh | at now + 1 minute

cd /boot/packages && find . -name '*.auto_install' -type f -print | sort | xargs -n1 sh -c 
#/boot/config/snap/snap.sh -b
#/boot/config/snap/snap.sh -b

#load HDHomerun Drivers for TVHeadend
#modprobe dvb_hdhomerun && sleep 3 && /usr/bin/userhdhomerun &

sleep 10
cd /lib/modules/3.4.11-unRAID/extra/
modprobe dvb_hdhomerun
sleep 3
/usr/bin/userhdhomerun &

I added the "sleep 10" to get the eth0 link up before the HDHR actions, which worked.  But how do I deal with the tvheadend plugin timing?  I tried putting a sleep command into the tvheadend_mod.plg file, right before the call to start the tvheadend service, but it did not work.  Am I approaching this the wrong way??  Again, I apologize if this is simple stuff for most of you guys, but I really appreciate the help!!

This really isn't going so well for me. I keep getting this error message when I try to access tower/Settings/tvheadend

Warning: passthru(): Cannot execute a blank command in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/webGui/template.php on line 431

This is with rc8a using the bz* files linked to previously and the original WW plg file, but also happens when using the latest linked tvheadend.

TorchRedRob

I do the following to ensure that things get loaded properly via my go file:

#!/bin/bash
# Start the Management Utility
HOME=/boot
umask 002
/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

echo "Start tvheadend to make userhdhomerun work" | logger
cd /lib/modules/3.0.33-unRAID/extra/ && modprobe dvb_hdhomerun
userhdhomerun &
sleep 10

<everything else>///

I guess you may have to change the sleep timer depending on when the tvheadend plugin is getting installed.

FYI, my log looks like this:

Nov 16 19:35:32 Tower logger: installing plugin: tvheadend_mod
Nov 16 19:35:32 Tower logger:  file /boot/config/plugins/tvheadend/tv_grab_file: already exists
Nov 16 19:35:32 Tower logger:  file /boot/config/plugins/tvheadend/tvheadend_W-W.txz: already exists
Nov 16 19:35:32 Tower logger:   upgradepkg --install-new /boot/config/plugins/tvheadend/tvheadend_W-W.txz ... 
Nov 16 19:35:32 Tower logger: +==============================================================================
Nov 16 19:35:32 Tower logger: | Installing new package /boot/config/plugins/tvheadend/tvheadend_W-W.txz
Nov 16 19:35:32 Tower logger: +==============================================================================
...stripping out these lines to keep this shorter...
Nov 16 19:35:33 Tower logger:  plugin successfully installed
Nov 16 19:35:33 Tower emhttp: unRAID System Management Utility version 5.0-rc4 (Lime Tech)
Nov 16 19:35:33 Tower emhttp: Copyright (C) 2005-2012, Lime Technology, LLC (Lime Tech)
Nov 16 19:35:33 Tower kernel: HDHomeRun: Begin init, version 0.0.10 (System)
Nov 16 19:35:33 Tower kernel: HDHomeRun: Waiting for userspace to connect
Nov 16 19:35:33 Tower kernel: HDHomeRun: End init
Nov 16 19:35:33 Tower logger: sleep 10
Nov 16 19:35:33 Tower emhttp: shcmd (1): modprobe md-mod super=/boot/config/super.dat slots=6 |$stuff$ logger (unRAID engine)
Nov 16 19:35:33 Tower kernel: hdhomerun: userhdhomerun connected
Nov 16 19:35:33 Tower kernel: access_ok() fails
Nov 16 19:35:33 Tower kernel: access_ok() fails
Nov 16 19:35:33 Tower kernel: hdhomerun: userhdhomerun disconnected
Nov 16 19:35:33 Tower kernel: hdhomerun: creating dvb device for 10303E4C-0
Nov 16 19:35:33 Tower kernel: DVB: registering new adapter (HDHomeRun)
Nov 16 19:35:33 Tower kernel: DVB: registering adapter 0 frontend 0 (HDHomeRun ATSC)...
Nov 16 19:35:33 Tower kernel: HDHomeRun0: DVB Frontend registered
Nov 16 19:35:33 Tower kernel: HDHomeRun0: Registered DVB adapter0
Nov 16 19:35:33 Tower kernel: hdhomerun: device /dev/hdhomerun_data0 created
Nov 16 19:35:33 Tower kernel: hdhomerun: creating dvb device for 10303E4C-1
Nov 16 19:35:33 Tower kernel: DVB: registering new adapter (HDHomeRun)
Nov 16 19:35:33 Tower kernel: DVB: registering adapter 1 frontend 0 (HDHomeRun ATSC)...
Nov 16 19:35:33 Tower kernel: HDHomeRun1: DVB Frontend registered
Nov 16 19:35:33 Tower kernel: HDHomeRun1: Registered DVB adapter1
Nov 16 19:35:33 Tower kernel: hdhomerun: device /dev/hdhomerun_data1 created

I have tried to get this to work but I just cannot. ......  Of course I am just trying it without the array started or a disk, just the USB flash.

Where are the tvheadend settings being written to? If it can't write anywhere then I don't think it will be able to map services.

botez,

Thanks for taking the time to shed a little light for me.  Your syslog and go script helped me to understand the order that things should load.  I got everything timed, but still have an issue with the HDHR adapters not loading at boot.  After going back to the rc4 build and poking around to try to figure out what was different, it looks like I do not have the dvb_core module loaded in my attempt at the rc8a build.  dvb_core should show up when I run lsmod in your rc8a build, correct?  I'm thinking that is the last issue I need to resolve.  I'll keep tinkering.  Thanks again!

So does anyone know anything about the error message I posted above? It says Warning: passthru(): Cannot execute a blank command in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/webGui/template.php on line 431

I have been trying to follow the instructions in this guide http://mymediaexperience.com/unraid-nas-with-plex-media-server-and-tvheadend/

There seems to be no info available on what to do if stuff doesn't work and I'd really like to get live tv up and running on my unraid box.

Thanks in advance for help.

Edit - I should probably add that I know nothing about Linux or command line stuff and that building an unraid server was first step away from windows, so everything I'm trying to do is purely based on following instructions and attempting to learn at the same time!!

So does anyone know anything about the error message I posted above? It says Warning: passthru(): Cannot execute a blank command in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/webGui/template.php on line 431

Let me ask the "duh" questions first:

1) did the unraid box work properly before you tried to install tvheadend?

2) what version of unraid were you running when you installed the tvheadend plugin?  were you on a 5.0 version or 4.7?

I am almost as much a newb as you, but  figured I'd give it a shot!  :)

EDIT:  oops, just re-read your original post that said you were on rc8a.  That is what I did and it worked (I was on 4.7, upgraded to 8a, then installed tvheadend plugin and "downgraded" to the rc4 mediatree build through the tvheadend settings.)  Sorry I am not much help!

botez,

Thanks for taking the time to shed a little light for me.  Your syslog and go script helped me to understand the order that things should load.  I got everything timed, but still have an issue with the HDHR adapters not loading at boot.  After going back to the rc4 build and poking around to try to figure out what was different, it looks like I do not have the dvb_core module loaded in my attempt at the rc8a build.  dvb_core should show up when I run lsmod in your rc8a build, correct?  I'm thinking that is the last issue I need to resolve.  I'll keep tinkering.  Thanks again!

Yep -- lsmod gives the following (amongst other modules)

dvb_hdhomerun           8010  14
dvb_core               63389  1 dvb_hdhomerun
dvb_hdhomerun_fe        4597  1 dvb_hdhomerun
dvb_hdhomerun_core      1623  2 dvb_hdhomerun,dvb_hdhomerun_fe

To answer the questions -

I started on unraid 4.7 which was stable and working perfectly. I added tvheadend before realising I needed to be on unraid 5.0 for it to work. Then I went to rc8a by swapping out my bz* files for the ones from the official build. This made my sleep script stop working so I added simple feature webgui and S3 sleep modules and got these basics sorted. Then I added the original WW tvheadend plg and got nothing but the error I listed above when I try to access unraid/Settings/tvheadend. Unraid:9981 also goes nowhere, just to a page cannot be found screen. Tried the later version of tvheadend and got the same thing. 

Not really sure what to do next and I don't understand wha the error message means.

Yep -- lsmod gives the following (amongst other modules)

dvb_hdhomerun           8010  14
dvb_core               63389  1 dvb_hdhomerun
dvb_hdhomerun_fe        4597  1 dvb_hdhomerun
dvb_hdhomerun_core      1623  2 dvb_hdhomerun,dvb_hdhomerun_fe

Thanks, I'll see what I can do to add the module in my setup.  Hopefully that will solve the problem.