[SOLVED] creating anonymous samba share?

If the share is public no login/password is required.  :o

what about allowing "no login" for an existing samba share with read-only privileges?

i.e.

security = private

user1= read/write

user2= read/write

guest=read only

I could be guessing, but I think what flush is after is a possibilty to login without username/password and get read only access and another way of login with username and password giving write access.

thanks, that's what I was getting at.

After looking at /etc/samba/smb.conf, I ended up creating /boot/config/smb-extra.conf with the following:

guest account = nobody

[media-public]

path = /mnt/user/media

guest ok = yes

read only = yes

/mnt/user/media already exists as another samba share with the user-specific privileges

This gave me the regular "media" share with user-specific privileges and "media-public" that is open to anyone within the network, read-only.

I could be guessing, but I think what flush is after is a possibilty to login without username/password and get read only access and another way of login with username and password giving write access.

thanks, that's what I was getting at.

After looking at /etc/samba/smb.conf, I ended up creating /boot/config/smb-extra.conf with the following:

guest account = nobody

[media-public]

path = /mnt/user/media

guest ok = yes

read only = yes

/mnt/user/media already exists as another samba share with the user-specific privileges

This gave me the regular "media" share with user-specific privileges and "media-public" that is open to anyone within the network, read-only.

A couple observations:

a) I think "secure" is the mode you want.

b) These kinds of changes to the samba configuration file may have consequences that would greatly complicate integration with new features, plugins, etc, and probably cause developers to not want to give you any support  ;)

A couple observations:

a) I think "secure" is the mode you want.

b) These kinds of changes to the samba configuration file may have consequences that would greatly complicate integration with new features, plugins, etc, and probably cause developers to not want to give you any support  ;)

ah ok, i see what you mean, for the particular share i'd like to open up, that works just as well, thanks